Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

steering colum lock recall Number

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Iroczlover
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering colum lock recall Number

Does anyone know the steering colum recall for when it locks up?

My husband is currently stuck down at Lakewood at shucks & we are having the car towed to friendly (maybe or parkland) to get it fixed & we need that number.

his is a 2000 FRC vette
Old 07-04-2007, 02:21 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I don't know the number, but...

Here's a spot you can search for it...

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/category.php?catId=6

Hope this helps!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Iroczlover
Drifting

Thanks, The car is currently at Parkland Chevrolet Their gates were still open when we got there last night at 8pm. But the service center isnt open until tomorrow.

I found part of the recall last night but I only found two for the car the seatbelts & the Colum lock, Couldnt find the other ones.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:48 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you look in the C5 Tech section, there are two "stickys" at the top of the page with info on the column lock problem. One thread concerns the recall letters and the other is about FAQ's regarding the lock issue and fixes for it.

6-speed cars and A4's have different fixes under the campaign as well as model year differences. Also, if your car has an aftermarket tune, one recall deals with a PCM re-flash. That will wipe out an aftermarket tune unless there is a way to save it off to a programmer and re-install the factory tune.

The general consensus is to get the column lock bypass kit from Corvettes of Houston. It works, and for $50 it certainly beats having the car towed and having a dealership work on the car.

IMHO, Friendly would have been a better choice as they sell more Vettes and have somewhat more experience working on Vettes than Parkland. Corvettes of Auburn would have been even better, but you probably had few choices at the time.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:49 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

good luck with the repair - too nice of weather to not have the Vette out on the road!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Iroczlover
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

IMHO, Friendly would have been a better choice as they sell more Vettes and have somewhat more experience working on Vettes than Parkland. Corvettes of Auburn would have been even better, but you probably had few choices at the time.
It was 8pm last night & the manager of shucks told my husband he needed to get the car off the property (shucks) or they will have it towed.It was just after that when my husband had the car towed to parkland.

It would have cost us nearly $300 to get it towed to friendly over $120 to get it towed to parkland (3miles from where my husband was at). My prefernce would have it been towed to Baydos because they have worked on the vette before & know the car.

My brother in law would have towed the car for the cost of gas but the wheels were slightly at an angle & we didnt want to risk it going on his trailer.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:41 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

If it was the Shuck's on Bridgeport Way, I can understand that That's not a really good part of Lakewood and getting the car out of there was a good decision regardless of where it went .

Of course you will never have trouble with the car again but just the same, go sign up with AAA. Get the extended towing coverage (costs me $87 per year and you get free towing for up to 100 miles one way to a shop of your choice or to your house. Also free flat changing, gas delivery, lockout service and jumpstart. You don't even have to be in your car!

AAA Roadside Service covers the member, not the car they own. You can be riding in a friend's car and use your membership. AAA is good all over the country and in Canada. They do provide for flatbed towing for Corvettes although you may have to wait a bit longer for one to show up if the AAA-contract towing company is some distance away.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Iroczlover
Drifting

We have towning with our insurance So all we have to do is take the bill in to him tomorrow & they will pay it.

as for where the car was sitting it was at the Shucks there on Pacific Hiway (the one that turns in to south tacoma way) not a good place to leave a nice car.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Iroczlover
Drifting

Sorry didnt get back to you guys sooner.
We got the car back yesterday (earlier than what they told us, they told us yesterday late after noon but we got it back yesterday Mid morning)

The took care of the colum lock with out a problem & didnt charge us anything for that but the oil change was $80 OUCHY.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Iroczlover
...but the oil change was $80 OUCHY.
Guess they had to make something off of the deal. Did they do anything else for that? Most dealerships have a set price for LOF (although the Vettes don't need a chassis lube). Dealerships will typically tack on extra costs for oil disposal (a big BS charge as nearly all shops sell used oil) "environmental fees", and shop materials (parts cleaner, shop rags). IMHO, Parkland just charges too much.

A 5-quart jug of Mobil-1 at Wally World for $24 and a $10 Mobil-1 filter at Shucks or AutoZone and do it at home. Then take the old oil back to AutoZone for free disposal.

Get notified of new replies

To steering colum lock recall Number

Quick Reply: steering colum lock recall Number