Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Northern Oregon - Scenic (read fun) Roads

Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM
TripleBlackxThree
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Northern Oregon - Scenic (read fun) Roads

I'll be driving from the Salt Lake City area on the way to Hood River this weekend and am interested in some I-84 alternatives on the way up. I was considering taking US 26 across to US 97 then SH 35 into Hood River.

There is also an interesting road(7?) coming out of Baker City going through Ukiah. Any thoughts on it? Looks *very* rural but the map says "other paved road".

I've been up I-84 a couple times and it's a nice enough drive and I haven't been along the Columbia River Gorge from I-84 across to Hood River (have been along the Hood River to Portland route several times). Should I just bag the others and do that?

Thought I'd get some suggestions from the some of the locals. If you see a black C6 vert with TX plates, give me a !:

TIA,
TBx3
Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to run Baker City to Ukiah and Condon on the bikes and it was fantastic! The pavement was new 10-15 years ago when I was last there, so I am not sure what it is like now.

If you have the time go explore! Look out for deer and elk especially at dawn and dusk!!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It's pretty hard to meet the gorge for scenery.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:14 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by kentz06
We used to run Baker City to Ukiah and Condon on the bikes and it was fantastic! The pavement was new 10-15 years ago when I was last there, so I am not sure what it is like now.

If you have the time go explore! Look out for deer and elk especially at dawn and dusk!!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

"I'll be driving from the Salt Lake City area on the way to Hood River this weekend and am interested in some I-84 alternatives on the way up. I was considering taking US 26 across to US 97 then SH 35 into Hood River."

Excellent choice and then when you get to Hood River cross over the bridge to the Washington side and take 14 west to Portland/Vancouver.

I don't think I'd mess with the back roads out of Baker City.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
TripleBlackxThree
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by kentz06

Well that's the route then! I'll watch for the deer and elk. Same issues here in the 'hill country' near Austin (well deer anyway).

I'm planning to leave Portland via 224. Head through Bend; down 97 to 31 and over to 395 then south to Reno. Home via US 50 across Nevada.

Should be a nice run.

Thanks for the tips! Shiny side up
Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been all over Eastern washington on my bike. I would take 26 all the way to Vale, then 20 into Ontario.. There is some nice twisties on that road.
But if you decide to take 26 to 97, and head back to hood river. Then stop in Dufar for lunch. There is a Tavern there that is a decent place to grab some lunch.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 PM
TripleBlackxThree
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Last C5
"I'll be driving from the Salt Lake City area on the way to Hood River this weekend and am interested in some I-84 alternatives on the way up. I was considering taking US 26 across to US 97 then SH 35 into Hood River."

Excellent choice and then when you get to Hood River cross over the bridge to the Washington side and take 14 west to Portland/Vancouver.

I don't think I'd mess with the back roads out of Baker City.
Whoa... I was posting at the same time you were and just saw your post.

Have you been on the roads out of Baker City? Do you think they are bad... rough, or just not worth it? Or do you just feel the other route is better.

Your 14 West suggestion is spot on. I've done that before, though not in the vette.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:55 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 908 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I suggest you stop at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center just east of Baker City. Hwy 7 is a good route for scenery. Stop in Sumpter and see the old gold dredge. Where Hwy 7 meets Hwy 26 you will go over Dixie Pass, a very beautiful area. Down around Prairie City, John Day, & Mt. Vernon you will drive through several environments - prairie, valleys, mountains, high desert. Just east of Dayville, take a short side-trip (2 miles) north on Hwy 19 to the new Fossil Bed Interpretive Center. After Mitchell you will drive throught the Ochoco Nat'l Forest and into Prineville. At Prineville you can turn north on 26 to Madras, but I would suggest going west on 126 to Redmond, then turning north on 97 and stopping at the Crooked River Gorge north of Terrebonne. At Madras you have three possible routes to choose from. North on 97 will take you to the junction of 97 & 197. Both go through arid high desert areas. Or at Madras take 35 north through the Warm Springs Reservation to Government Camp, then continue on 35 around the east side of Mt. Hood.

Yes, it makes for a long day and it will take you longer than if you stay on the freeway, but if you have time enjoy the drive and scenery.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:45 AM
maukavette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunno if this will help, but OR has a load of designated scenic byways, which you can find maps and descriptions for at the following site:
http://www.byways.org/explore/states/OR/maps.html
I used to work for the fed agency sponsoring the site and making the designations up till a few months ago when I retired. These scenic byways are all paved, and safe, and are recognized for their scenic quality. Hope it helps you find a good route(s) in OR! Safe journey! Jon
Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBlackxThree
Whoa... I was posting at the same time you were and just saw your post.

Have you been on the roads out of Baker City? Do you think they are bad... rough, or just not worth it? Or do you just feel the other route is better.

Your 14 West suggestion is spot on. I've done that before, though not in the vette.

Just feel the other route is better, more scenic, a little smoother.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[/QUOTE]

I would look at Hwy 12 into Lewiston from Montana. Take 15 out of SLC to 93 then to 12. Both 12 and 93 are wonderful roads with not a lot of straight stretches. The you can continue on 14 all the way doewn the gorge to Hood River. There are some really great wineries along 14 in the mile post 100 area.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 PM
LarryDallas
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just so happens I took delivery in Salt Lake and drove it home to Portland. The first night I drove to Boise via Interstate and spent the night. The next day I drove past La Grande due to snow in the passes and took 395 south (avoid the interstate in Oregon as the speed limit drops 10 mph). I'd have to look back at the map to remember the roads, but there are some great twisties and elevation change. Some really great driving. You basically make your way west across back highways.

I'll see if I can't get better directions and re-post, but if you want to take the trip for serious driving there are some great roads.

Get notified of new replies

To Northern Oregon - Scenic (read fun) Roads

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Northern Oregon - Scenic (read fun) Roads