Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Oregon Front License Plates

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oregon Front License Plates

How many Oregonians don't run front license plates? I still have temps, but don't really want to put on the front plates, but don't want tickets either. Anyone know how much the tickets cost in Oregon?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Vinsanity
Advanced

I moved to OR in 2004, and have had 3 cars, none of which had front plates. In fact, none of them had the brackets at all.

Front plate violations are not moving violations. So no insurance issues. If you get a ticket at all, it's a "fix-it ticket." Like having a blown headlight. Bring proof that you fixed it to the clerk and they delete the ticket.

That said, in OR, I've never gotten such a ticket in 5 years of not having a front plate.... <- Can that be a "Knock on wood"
Old 04-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Spectre86
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinsanity
I moved to OR in 2004, and have had 3 cars, none of which had front plates. In fact, none of them had the brackets at all.

Front plate violations are not moving violations. So no insurance issues. If you get a ticket at all, it's a "fix-it ticket." Like having a blown headlight. Bring proof that you fixed it to the clerk and they delete the ticket.

That said, in OR, I've never gotten such a ticket in 5 years of not having a front plate.... <- Can that be a "Knock on wood"
not true. i got pulled over 5 times in my s2000. 3 of them were the same cop. he gave me a ticket for it last time and it was 70 something bucks. the other 2 were late nights and he used it as a reason so pull me over and see if i was drinking. didnt seem to actually care about the license plate. it comes down to if the cop wants to be a ***** or not..

License Plate Display

A single license plate is issued to mopeds, motorcycles, trailers, campers, antique vehicles, and special interest vehicles, while two license plates are issued to all other types of vehicles registered by DMV, including passenger vehicles and trucks (See ORS 803.525).

If only one license plate is issued, it must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. If two plates are issued, one must be displayed on the front of the vehicle and the other on the rear of the vehicle. Plates must be in plain view so as to be easily read by the public and law enforcement (See ORS 803.540).

License plates may not be altered and must not be covered by any material that alters their appearance. Furthermore, plate frames or holders must not prevent the numbers, letters, or stickers from being readable (See ORS 803.550 for more information).
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/plates.shtml

i had mine in my front windshield.

tried to fight it. doesnt say front most, outer front, front bumper, just says displayed in the front, like the front window of the store or front part. judge say it would be hard to see of the sunlight hit the windshield and glared. i asked how its any different from a custom huge chrome bumper that reflects the light.. he said chrome doesnt reflect like a window......
Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Vinsanity
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spectre86
not true. i got pulled over 5 times in my s2000. 3 of them were the same cop. he gave me a ticket for it last time and it was 70 something bucks. the other 2 were late nights and he used it as a reason so pull me over and see if i was drinking. didnt seem to actually care about the license plate. it comes down to if the cop wants to be a ***** or not..
Ugh, that sucks. Maybe I got off luckier than I thought with only getting a warning when I did get pulled over in OR. I've lived in too many states to remember which one the cop told me front plate was a fix-it ticket. Might be a per state thing.

These guys seem to be discussion front plate right now too. May have something worth noting in.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-question.html
Old 04-05-2009, 06:21 PM
mrmarchuk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default depends on what car u drive

it ALSO depends on which car you drive, if its a sporty car, cops will pull you over and just use that as an excuse to check for other stuff, if he's having a bad day, he will ticket you, if he's having an OK day, he wont even pull you over (or she).
Old 04-05-2009, 07:35 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Think there was something posted in a thread about front plates in OR and WA where the City of Portland had authorized the city meter maids to ticket parked cars that do not have front plates attached.

People cry about the front plate making the car look ugly, or just don't like them, but the bottom line is that an LEO will use a no front plate violation as an excuse to pull somebody over.

So put the plate on and don't worry anymore about being hassled.

WA requires a front plate although there are certain plates where only one is issued but you are limited to how and when the vehicle is used.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't run a front plate, and until they make motorcycles run one, then I'm not. My car came from a dealership used and it didn't have one on it then either. Yeah, I'm a rebel.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:08 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I ran without front plates on either my C5 or C6. Only recently did I put a front plate on the C6 'cause I think the Crater Lake blue ones look nice on my black C6
Old 04-06-2009, 07:44 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
So put the plate on and don't worry anymore about being hassled.

I stopped by the local Washington Highway Patrol office when I got my Z06 and had a frank discussion with an officer there. Nice guy, and pretty direct that no front plate might be a deciding factor in making a judgement call stop.

As an aside, IMHO the factory black frame don't look all that bad
Old 04-06-2009, 01:22 PM
leowiz
Burning Brakes

I am just waiting for my first ticket before I install the front license plate. Been a little over a year here and still doing ok so far.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 PM
08VRCOUPE
Instructor

Haven't put ours on yet but if I do I have a TopFlight bracket at home waiting.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 years now without running a front plate. Even when I got pulled over a few years ago for speeding nothing was said about the front plate missing. I do keep it in the rear cubby just incase though.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:24 PM
maukavette
Pro

I got tagged for no front plate in Keizer around last September, after about 2 years of driving the car with no front plate. I forget the exact amount of the ticket because I try to forget bad events, lol, but it was around $150ish. I immediately put the plate on, and sent in a pic with a note, and the payment (as suggested by the cop who tagged me), and I got a whole $20 back about 3-4 months later in the Winter. Well, it was better than nothing, right. I don't like having it on, but lightning would pick me to strike twice, so I have it on with one of those form fitting clear covers over it. And yes, I was stopped and tagged for that infraction only. Lovely.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

I've mounted the front plate but have it covered by a tinted shield. As you can see from the ORS, even that is "illegal".

So far, so good......knock on wood
Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 PM
1bad51
Advanced

I'm surprised the dealer didn't install it on my car - bought it new. Would think that's part of what they are responsible to do.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Spectre86
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun
I've mounted the front plate but have it covered by a tinted shield. As you can see from the ORS, even that is "illegal".

So far, so good......knock on wood
i had a friend put a tinted plastic cover on his car awhile ago... got pulled over.. cop was a dick about it... my friend was a huge smart ***. (he got it at knex or something and told the cop that.

cop said "its legal to sell something thats illegal to put on your car, you just cant put it on your car."

my buddy responded "why doesnt the grocery sell pot if i promise not to smoke it"

cop gave him a ticket for that and then an illegal window tint ticket too. lol

Last edited by Spectre86; 04-07-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:26 AM
884fun
Pro

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
How many Oregonians don't run front license plates? I still have temps, but don't really want to put on the front plates, but don't want tickets either. Anyone know how much the tickets cost in Oregon?
I don't have a front plate on my Vette or my Jaguar.

It looks stupid on the Vette as you can see parked next to the fire hydrant (same color as the Vette!!)

And it blocks the air flow on the Jag. The Jag needs a special bracket that I didn't get when Santa left the Jag in our garage. I'm not about to shell out $150 for one.

I'll pay the fine if I receive a ticket.

Get notified of new replies

To Oregon Front License Plates

Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 AM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

i run a plate on my 90, i really don't feel like suporting the oregon state police... they already have too much of my money
Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Washington Front License Plates

In response to comments (above) about Washington State's front plate law, an article dated 2 March 2009, in the Tacoma News Tribune reported on this issue:

"All passenger vehicles are issued two license plates, one for the front and one for the rear, and the law clearly states that they must be attached in the appropriate locations at all times," responds trooper Dan McDonald, King County public informatin officer for the Washington State Patrol. Violators are subject to a $124 fine.

The article went on to cite the law (RCW:46.16.240) further:

"License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible."

I run both plates on my C5 to be in compliance with the first paragraph, and an aerodynamic lexan clear cover on the front plate which complies with the second. I'd rather skip the front one, but it's the law.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

With my Pewter color, I think the cover makes it blend in nicely while still being "readable".....but, I guess it doesn't matter what I think!

Quick Reply: Oregon Front License Plates