Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Portland area car dealer Q

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Portland area car dealer Q

I'm negotiating over the phone with Herzog-Meier VW for a new '13 GTI for my new DD. Does anybody have experience with this dealer? I would have about a 3 hr drive, and a trade, so I'm hoping to get close to my numbers, and wonder if they're the type to jerk one around? THX.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I'm negotiating over the phone with Herzog-Meier VW for a new '13 GTI for my new DD. Does anybody have experience with this dealer? I would have about a 3 hr drive, and a trade, so I'm hoping to get close to my numbers, and wonder if they're the type to jerk one around? THX.
Hard to say. Are you working directly with the general manager, the sales manager or just a salesperson? The trade is usually the difficult part to nail down. They may very well give you a firm price on the GTI, but in all fairness I doubt if they can quote you a firm price on your trade until they see it.

You could also check with the GTI forums - or VW forums and ask the same question.

Aren't there some VW dealers closer to home? In my experience, you usually have some leverage with service issues or warranty claims with the dealer you purchase it from. All dealers are supposed to honor the warranty, etc, but sometimes the selling dealer will go to bat for you.

My nephew is the internet manager for Chaplain's VW in Bellevue if you'd like to give him a should. His name is Derek Walker. Tell him Uncle Phil referred you so no S;ing around. Same issue with the trade though.

This should be a pleasant experience for you. Good luck.

BTW, I used to sell cars Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Mazda and even VW's back in the day. I mention this only to perhaps give a bit of credibility to my thoughts.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Thanks, I just got off the phone with Herzog-Meier, and they were willing to lowball the car (My immaculate HHR SS) sight unseen, with the carrot of "maybe" a grand more, when they saw it. That leaves them 2k under what my local dealer offered, and I used my leverage of dealing with HM to get them to lower their price considerably. I drive a new GTI Wolfsburg Ed. 6spd man. home this afternoon. Thanks for your mention of the Seattle area dealer; I would have tried there, but the sales tax rate there is .098, wheras it's .083 in Richland. No biggie, but makes the drive across town happier.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 PM
rollin18
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
Thanks, I just got off the phone with Herzog-Meier, and they were willing to lowball the car (My immaculate HHR SS) sight unseen, with the carrot of "maybe" a grand more, when they saw it. That leaves them 2k under what my local dealer offered, and I used my leverage of dealing with HM to get them to lower their price considerably. I drive a new GTI Wolfsburg Ed. 6spd man. home this afternoon. Thanks for your mention of the Seattle area dealer; I would have tried there, but the sales tax rate there is .098, wheras it's .083 in Richland. No biggie, but makes the drive across town happier.
I cant speak for your trade BUT as far as the car goes...

I bought a 2012 VW sportswagon TDI from Hannah VW I DO NOT recommend ANY dealer in the Portland Area except Armstrong VW in Oregon city

I wish I had done More research before buying my car..
every other dealer in this area was charging an "market adjustment" or some other regional markup ABOVE MSRP for most cars (TDI).

i would imagine this is similar across all VW models..?

Armstrong was the ONLY one who was selling at BELOW MSRP wish to helll I would have bought from there plus costco discount!!

I do love the car tho!! my only problems with other dealers including mine was the Markup and the BS used to "justify" it

report back on your progress!! and congrats VW are Great cars i'm on my 3rd TDI!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:59 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Ended up getting a new '13 GTI 4dr, with 6-spd manual. It's a Wolfsburg Ed., and doesn't have nav, or a sunroof, which are two things I refuse to pay for. Got it in Kennewick after much negotiation, using other dealers on the other side of the mountains as bait. I was very happy with the deal, as it was below invoice, and I got NADA for my trade. Fantastic car; like driving a small Mercedes. The salesman tried to sell me a loaded TDI, but it was a dog. 30+ mpg is enough for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Portland area car dealer Q

Quick Reply: Portland area car dealer Q