Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Alan Green Chevrolet -Burien

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Alan Green Chevrolet -Burien

As some of you know, I've been reading the re-release of Mark Donohue's famous book, "The Unfair Advantage" One of the places/shops/Chevrolet dealers in the book is Alan Green Chevrolet in Burien - a few miles south of Seattle.

I remember the place well, having grown up in what is now the Sea-Tac area, but it got me to wondering if any of you had similar memories or experiences with the dealership?

For myself, one of my lasting memories was the two Bill Thomas Cheetahs he had. One for racing and one for the street, although I know they drag raced it occasionally.

I never did figure out precisely what level of participation the store had in racing although if memory serves they did race a Camaro in either the occasional Trans-Am even or in SCCA national events.

The names that (barely) come to mind are those of Jerry Grant, Frank Tutino, Don Cambell and Larry Webb. Seems to me that a fellow by the name of Mitch (last name unknown) who drag-raced the green Cheetah.

I was simply kind of wondering if any of you might have been around during those times. For that matter, there should have been a few drivers and teams out of Oregon and California that competed against these guys.

Just trying to pry open the old time capsule to see what might pop out.

So...

Yes, I'm old and wouldn't have it any other way...

Last edited by last901; 11-26-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 AM
alanfigliola
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alan Green Chevrolet

Originally Posted by last901
As some of you know, I've been reading the re-release of Mark Donohue's famous book, "The Unfair Advantage" One of the places/shops/Chevrolet dealers in the book is Alan Green Chevrolet in Burien - a few miles south of Seattle.

I remember the place well, having grown up in what is now the Sea-Tac area, but it got me to wondering if any of you had similar memories or experiences with the dealership?

For myself, one of my lasting memories was the two Bill Thomas Cheetahs he had. One for racing and one for the street, although I know they drag raced it occasionally.

I never did figure out precisely what level of participation the store had in racing although if memory serves they did race a Camaro in either the occasional Trans-Am even or in SCCA national events.

The names that (barely) come to mind are those of Jerry Grant, Frank Tutino, Don Cambell and Larry Webb. Seems to me that a fellow by the name of Mitch (last name unknown) who drag-raced the green Cheetah.

I was simply kind of wondering if any of you might have been around during those times. For that matter, there should have been a few drivers and teams out of Oregon and California that competed against these guys.

So...

Went to a party at Alan Greens home , during the run of the INDY car at Indy! My good friend Dick Milner , who was a service writer/mgr for Alan Green also was a national record holder in SUPER STOCK driving a big block 63 Chev with sponsorship from Alan Green Chevrolet. Oh for those good ole days , hahaha HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO YA'LL, AL FIG
Old 11-27-2013, 12:24 PM
young grasshopper
Pro

Phil, check your inbox!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:27 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

So...

I don't know much about the racing business, but I did buy a brand new 1983 Z28 from what was at that time Glen Grant Chevrolet in Burien. I'll always remember how when my purchase was complete and I was on my way out the door, the owner, Glen Grant, came out of his office to personally thank me for choosing to buy my new car from his dealership. He seemed to be a very kindly older guy. I'm guessing that he might be related to one of the gentlemen mentioned in the OP.

The car was black with the gray interior and had those raised white letter outlined tires...anybody remember those? Along with the removable T Tops, I had what I thought was the coolest car this side of a Corvette.

30 years ago....how time flies.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:21 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Here are a few pics of the Alan Greene Cheetah at SIR in 2008. Awesome car. Any one remember Tad Davies who drove straight axle Corvettes for Chevrolet dealership bearing his name.

Last edited by K2; 11-28-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:56 PM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad is Larry Webb. The original mechanic and driver of the Alan Green Cheetah.

Here is a forum thread about my dad.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/10...y-webb-photos/

Here is also a good website.

http://www.cheetahcars.com/Yeakelcar.htm

Last edited by RadnessWarrior; 11-29-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:35 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RadnessWarrior
My dad is Larry Webb. The original mechanic and driver of the Alan Green Cheetah.

Here is a forum thread about my dad.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/10...y-webb-photos/

Here is also a good website.

http://www.cheetahcars.com/Yeakelcar.htm
Thanks for the wonderful info on your dad and his "adventures". He was at my wedding about, ahem, 45 tears ago. I think that's the last time I saw him. His wife and my wife worked together at the bank.

He is certainly a legend to many of us who grew up around racing around here.

Those photos are priceless. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:58 PM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are welcome! As my dad has the car "bug", I have it too. I have loved going to the races with him, and helping when I can. I just bought my C5 in July, so Im getting it prepped for next race season. What's your name 901?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RadnessWarrior
You are welcome! As my dad has the car "bug", I have it too. I have loved going to the races with him, and helping when I can. I just bought my C5 in July, so Im getting it prepped for next race season. What's your name 901?
What's the expression; the acorn doesn't fall far from the Oak tree? Sounds like you have the background to really enjoy your C5.

As to your other question, check your PM inbox.

Phil
Old 11-30-2013, 11:39 PM
ALongtimer
Cruising

I remember Alan Green as the dealership in the NW with the reputation for selling (and racing) high performance Chevrolet. As a much younger car guy, I was trying to buy a new 1969 SS 396 El Camino from Walker Chevrolet in Tacoma. The orange with black vinyl top truck they were trying to sell me just didn't seem like it was going to be that appealing after a few payments. The salesman told me to go find what I wanted and they would do a dealer trade. In those days, going from dealership to dealership was part of the "thrill of the chase". I found myself at Alan Green drooling over a black on black SS 396 El Camino. Conveniently, there was a pay phone booth about 10 feet from the truck. The call was made to Walker and the deal was done. I still have the truck and it holds many important memories of that era of my life. It was pure luck that the truck turned out to be a rather rare, collectible muscle car. The factory equipment included a 375/396, M-22 rockcrusher and 4.10 gears. Still arguably the most fun to drive of the cars I've owned, including the Corvettes.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:52 PM
LandSpeed
1st Gear

Default Alan Green Chevrolet

Hi there,
I came across this post on the forum as I was searching for photo's of the old Alan Green Chevrolet Dealership. Do you happen to have, or know of anyone that may have photo's of the old dealership? I'm looking to find a couple for a project that I'm working on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Graham

So...

Old 02-06-2022, 02:45 AM
Ryans67vette
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 45 Posts

Any luck finding photos of the old Alan Green Chevrolet dealer?
Old 02-06-2022, 04:02 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ryans67vette
Any luck finding photos of the old Alan Green Chevrolet dealer?
No luck at all with the photo. I even bought a book, "Classic Cherolet Dealerships" hoping that Alan Green would be mentioned. No mention at all much less a photo. When you asked me originally I put out a message to anyone I knew that might have any connection to the store. Not a single response. Many rememred the place, but nobody had any photos.

I may try "Classmates" to inquire, if there is some means of posting such a request, but not sure I'll get any better response.

I presume you've searched the web yourself.

I'll keep trying

Phil

Old 02-22-2022, 04:15 PM
yeipi
1st Gear

Hey! I'm the grandson of Alan Green. I was lurking the web finding a pic of the car since it appeared on the show "Billions" and stumbled upon this thread, i'll try and ask my grandma if there's any pics still lying around I can immortalize on the web.
Old 02-22-2022, 04:24 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by yeipi
Hey! I'm the grandson of Alan Green. I was lurking the web finding a pic of the car since it appeared on the show "Billions" and stumbled upon this thread, i'll try and ask my grandma if there's any pics still lying around I can immortalize on the web.
That would be wonderful. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2022, 10:27 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by yeipi
That would be a non fungible token

Can’t wait to see them 🤞🏻
Old 03-01-2022, 04:50 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I bought the #27 ZL1 Camaro from Dick Tutino around 1975......I Drag Raced it briefly around 1976
Very long story but I parted it out after a chassis shop in Tacoma,WA made some bad changes to the body

Larry Webb I think worked on my New 70 Z28 when it was at Competition Development on Aurora Ave in Seattle

FYI, The current #27 ZL1 that will be auctioned (Again) at Mecum / Gelndale AZ 2022 is a total
recreation that is NOT original in any way

Anybody with detailed question should write my email CamarosRus@gmail.com

Last edited by CamarosRus; 03-01-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Alan Green Chevrolet -Burien

Old 03-01-2022, 05:26 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you! All good information and fun to peruse.

BTW, Larry's last name is spelled Webb (with 2 "B's") and he is a well-known (around these parts - PNW) as a great tuner.

I'm looking forward to perusing your list of oferrings and not surprised that a Larry-Webb tuned Camaro may have some historic value. At least to those of us on Social Security. I'd be inclined to inquire about it, but am a 3X Corvette guy and never developed a real interest in Camaros, though I know they are still popular and pukka collector cars.

Dick Tutino is also a familiar name and though I've never met him, I've been friends with the Tutino family for years.

Good luck (seriously) on the auction. I suspect it will sell well.👍
Old 03-15-2022, 01:04 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Thank you! All good information and fun to peruse.

BTW, Larry's last name is spelled Webb (with 2 "B's") and he is a well-known (around these parts - PNW) as a great tuner.

I'm looking forward to perusing your list of oferrings and not surprised that a Larry-Webb tuned Camaro may have some historic value. At least to those of us on Social Security. I'd be inclined to inquire about it, but am a 3X Corvette guy and never developed a real interest in Camaros, though I know they are still popular and pukka collector cars.

Dick Tutino is also a familiar name and though I've never met him, I've been friends with the Tutino family for years.

Good luck (seriously) on the auction. I suspect it will sell well.👍
Here’s another picture of the Alan Green Cheetah for you Phil!

Says Larry Webb (mechanic) and Gary Gove (owner) on the driver’s door and the car is still green.

Best,
Mike

Old 08-26-2022, 06:30 PM
corvettecleary
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ought a 1965 corvette that was delivered to Allen Green Chevrolet in August of 1965 .
the car is a Goldwood yellow roadster with 396 ,side pipes .
is there any old documentation left from the Dealership
willing to pay for any old info !!! old pictures of the Dealership
steve 253-350-0035

Quick Reply: Alan Green Chevrolet -Burien