Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

A Sad Day, But Time To Move On

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:19 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by four0nefive
Just curious, what does a C6 Aero Lightweight look like? I googled it and there was just a bunch of pictures of C6s w/ Katech aero.
Good question, cause I've not seen Phil's car in years...and I doubt if it was lighter then my C5Z....
Old 03-06-2016, 11:41 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Just curious, what does a C6 Aero Lightweight look like? I googled it and there was just a bunch of pictures of C6s w/ Katech aero.
When you Googled it, did you include the (one of 42) in your search? I'm sure that's why Phil's aero lightweight wasn't displayed.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:41 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

It's a not very well-kept secret among those who know me. It's nothing the factory will admit to ever having been made. I'll explain it fully when I see you next, probably at E@RTC. Suffice it to say it looks very much like a stock 1LT with no options. If Corvette made sedans, mine would be a Biscayne with shiny hubcaps. But lighter than, say, an Impala.

In other words, I made it up. Don't tell anyone on this forum though, okay?

Old 03-07-2016, 12:18 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle C4
First Poodle Girl now you...? Is this a mass exodus from the group?

P.S. Mine is for sale as well...
Hey, I still consider myself as part of the group. Hopefully I won't get dis-owned.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fperra
Hey, I still consider myself as part of the group. Hopefully I won't get dis-owned.
Who are you, again?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
I don't know about Phil's C6 Aero, but in the late 60's we would race down at Golden Gardens. There was a silver 63 split window that was taking down everything from other Vettes to Roadrunners, GTO's, 442's,Chargers, Mustangs, Firebirds, Camaro's, Cuda's, you name it.
Legend has it the reason this Vette was so fast was because it had a thinner fiberglass body and was several hundred pounds lighter due to poor quality control. That was an amazing time, like now, with amazing cars. High school and college summer nights street racing in Seattle.
So to answer your question, it looks exactly like a C6

Back to topic...
Fred check out the new Fiat Abarth 124 Spider. I hear it has the MX-5 chassis.

Gotcha. A silver '63 is probably the #1 Corvette I want or maybe a blue C2 427.

Originally Posted by JETninja
Good question, cause I've not seen Phil's car in years...and I doubt if it was lighter then my C5Z....

Originally Posted by Red Racer
When you Googled it, did you include the (one of 42) in your search? I'm sure that's why Phil's aero lightweight wasn't displayed.

Unfortunately no, I had no idea it was there was only 42 made

Originally Posted by last901
It's a not very well-kept secret among those who know me. It's nothing the factory will admit to ever having been made. I'll explain it fully when I see you next, probably at E@RTC. Suffice it to say it looks very much like a stock 1LT with no options. If Corvette made sedans, mine would be a Biscayne with shiny hubcaps. But lighter than, say, an Impala.

In other words, I made it up. Don't tell anyone on this forum though, okay?

I look forward to hearing about it sometime soon.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:20 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Gotcha. A silver '63 is probably the #1 Corvette I want or maybe a blue C2 427.

Unfortunately no, I had no idea it was there was only 42 made :rof

I look forward to hearing about it sometime soon.

Okay, okay, bowing to popular demand, here's a brief synopsis of the extraordinarily rare C6 Aero Lightweight. (one of 42) I had the factory stats on the number of these built and where they went. There is only one in the PNW, mine.

The Unknown Aero Lightweight C6 Corvette

Late in 2006 and into early 2007, Chevrolet produced a total run of 42 special Corvette Coupes, what the cognoscenti refer to as the Aero Lightweights All were painted in Victory red, had chromed wheels and 6-speed manual Tremec gearboxes.

Although greatly resembling a red 3LT the Aero Lightweights were stripped of any unneeded accessories and most were shipped to the West Coast. Only one, vin # 1G1*******5057, was sent to A Pacific NW dealer in Longview Washington and now resides near Issaquah, WA.. A few went to dealers in California and elsewhere.

Visually these lightweights appear to be standard 6-speed Corvettes, but a close inspection will reveal several unique features common to the Aero Lightweight coupes.

Special slim-line aero bodywork. No flares or ducting as on Grand Sports and ZO6 models.
HUD delete option, with lightweight blanking plate in dashboard
Flush mounted wheel attachment hardware
Special (thinner, so no perforations) leather-like material on seats, backed with synthetic materials.
Composite roof panel (removable for further weight reduction if required.
Fewer sound system speakers and a AC Delco "Featherweight" sound system with lightweight transistors and no vacuum tubes..
Satellite radio delete option
Front air-splitter delete option
Cargo Cover delete option
Special .006 carbon fiber "Corvette" script on door sills, anodized black.
No factory undercoating
Unpainted brake calipers (caliper paint delete option)
Spare tire delete option.
Adhesive-back badges and trim.
Passenger Assist delete option.
Towing package delete option.

Hope this helps provide you with a better understanding and appreciation of this unique model.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:25 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh, really, John. Did you bother to look up?
Old 03-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hope this helps provide you with a better understanding and appreciation of this unique model.

I think I would put your car along with that description at Park Place like Walter did and put a 95K price on it. Somebody might come along and offer you 70K cash and think they are getting a great deal on a very rare automobile.

In the words of Roger Penske; Effort Equals Results. Not to mention the funds to restock the bar for the coming summer months!
Old 03-07-2016, 05:59 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
I think I would put your car along with that description at Park Place like Walter did and put a 95K price on it. Somebody might come along and offer you 70K cash and think they are getting a great deal on a very rare automobile.

In the words of Roger Penske; Effort Equals Results. Not to mention the funds to restock the bar for the coming summer months!
A most excellent suggestion, Pat. I do need to restock the bar pretty soon. I'm out of Ardbeg, can;t find more double cask Laphroig (so have to be content with the "ordinary 10 year stuff" I should probably get some more Glenmorangie too. Just restocked Dewars in case the neighbors come over to complain about Mary's cat; Roswell.

So, what was your other idea?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:11 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Okay, okay, bowing to popular demand, here's a brief synopsis of the extraordinarily rare C6 Aero Lightweight. (one of 42) I had the factory stats on the number of these built and where they went. There is only one in the PNW, mine.

The Unknown Aero Lightweight C6 Corvette

Late in 2006 and into early 2007, Chevrolet produced a total run of 42 special Corvette Coupes, what the cognoscenti refer to as the Aero Lightweights All were painted in Victory red, had chromed wheels and 6-speed manual Tremec gearboxes.

Although greatly resembling a red 3LT the Aero Lightweights were stripped of any unneeded accessories and most were shipped to the West Coast. Only one, vin # 1G1*******5057, was sent to A Pacific NW dealer in Longview Washington and now resides near Issaquah, WA.. A few went to dealers in California and elsewhere.

Visually these lightweights appear to be standard 6-speed Corvettes, but a close inspection will reveal several unique features common to the Aero Lightweight coupes.

Special slim-line aero bodywork. No flares or ducting as on Grand Sports and ZO6 models.
HUD delete option, with lightweight blanking plate in dashboard
Flush mounted wheel attachment hardware
Special (thinner, so no perforations) leather-like material on seats, backed with synthetic materials.
Composite roof panel (removable for further weight reduction if required.
Fewer sound system speakers and a AC Delco "Featherweight" sound system with lightweight transistors and no vacuum tubes..
Satellite radio delete option
Front air-splitter delete option
Cargo Cover delete option
Special .006 carbon fiber "Corvette" script on door sills, anodized black.
No factory undercoating
Unpainted brake calipers (caliper paint delete option)
Spare tire delete option.
Adhesive-back badges and trim.
Passenger Assist delete option.
Towing package delete option.

That was a great description. I think the place whete your car loses a bit of uniqueness is the "spare tire delete" and "tow package delete".

In all seriousness, you could probably fool so many non car people with that especially since it looks like it was written by a car mag And like Mufflerdelete said, you could probably convince someone or another it really is a "1 of 42" special car.

Last edited by four0nefive; 03-07-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:57 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Should have taken your Aero Lightweight one step further like Porsche does - take out the radio and other cabin amenities, all of the sound deadening (and maybe the power windows while you're at it), put special badging on it (like GT747) and then charge $10,000 more for it!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:23 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
Should have taken your Aero Lightweight one step further like Porsche does - take out the radio and other cabin amenities, all of the sound deadening (and maybe the power windows while you're at it), put special badging on it (like GT747) and then charge $10,000 more for it!
Been there, done that. You must have had a 911 Speedster in your life, Aaron. Perhaps too much to go into here but as a former owner of a 901-series Speedster (starting to sound like another diatribe on the C6 Aero Lightweight - one of 42?) I understand what you're suggesting. Only the wizards of Weissach figured out how to make money doing it.

I'm going to give your idea further thought, Aaron. It's brilliant. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:58 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

Hey Fred, you see see it you fit in it: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5486856969.html
Old 03-12-2016, 01:01 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not interested. I'll probably hold off buying anything else until this time next year.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:03 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

Oh Man, Nobles are cool stuff.....but tiny I imagine. My oldest Son shared it to me.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:18 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fperra
Nothing right away. Maybe later this year I'll get me the new Mazda MX-5 to hold me over for a while. It looks like a fun car to drive and a true sports car.
Let me know if you want to further explore that idea, Fred. I have connections.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:20 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh Man, Nobles are cool stuff.....but tiny I imagine. My oldest Son shared it to me.
They are pretty cool, but they're British. Of course people sometimes say the same thing about me.

Quick Reply: A Sad Day, But Time To Move On