Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Input on Building Slot Car Track

Old 04-28-2016, 12:43 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 518 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Input on Building Slot Car Track

I just purchased a slot car set and am drawing up plans to build the table but wanted to solicit input from anyone who's previously done this - I'm open to suggestions. Once it's built, I plan on having a GTG at my house (mid to late June) and holding races for everyone who wants to participate.

The track is roughly 9.8' x 6.6' (just under 25 feet of total track) so I'm planning on building the table 10x8' since most sheets of 3/4" plywood come in 4x8' sheets. The base/frame will be made of 2x4" and I'm thinking of building the whole thing in two sections to make it easier to move; one 4x8' and 6x8' - see diagram below:

Old 04-28-2016, 01:24 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

With support underneath you could use a pulley system to lift/lower it in the garage or wherever you are placing it.

I still have all of the sets that our family had from the 1/32nd scale in the early 60's through the HO scale tracks of the 70's. 1/32nd scale was a rubber track. The HO and 1/24th scale was a plastic textured surface.

Be sure when building it that all your track connects smoothly so the cars don't catch on each section, especially in the turns.

Test power to the track at several points to be sure you are getting even power throughout the track as well. If not, add wiring from the transformer/controller section to the opposite side to help things out. Don't get that criss-cross section wrong

The last HO car I purchased was probably in the early 80's. The 1/32nd scale cars were hand built with brass tubing and had plastic bodies similar to models.

Have fun!
Old 04-28-2016, 03:59 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

This looks like fun, Aaron. At my age I fear I've lost both reaction time and eyesight. I to think 1:32-scale is the way to go, mostly for the variety of cars it provides. Lots of Corvettes. And other things as well.

Wonder if they make scale hay trucks so I can at least beat Poodle Girl when we compete. At least I can scare the bejeebers out of him.

Maybe you could build a to-scale replica of the XXX parking lot complete with little lawn chairs and a vineyard for those who prefer sour grapes. It might really be fun to find one of those ancient electric football games and paint up the players to look like participants while they run around in circles while awaiting their turns on the track.

I am considering building a replica of the C6 Aero Lightweight (one of 42) but I worry that it would be too light to stay in its own slot. Based on my experience with the hobby however, I will volunteer to be a corner worker.

Call me if you need any help. Have you seen the track at the LeMay Museum in Tacoma?
Old 04-30-2016, 12:12 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of a pulley system - my shop has high ceilings with exposed beams so that is definitely feasible.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

That is very cool. Consider finding a used ping-pong table on CL as the base. Securing thinner than 3/4" plywood to the table could improve the portability.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:55 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bhk2
That is very cool. Consider finding a used ping-pong table on CL as the base. Securing thinner than 3/4" plywood to the table could improve the portability.
I'd read about people using a ping pong table but it's smaller overall than the track I believe. I'll look into it some more. I'd originally thought about 3/4" plywood before I decided I needed a frame instead since I can't find one sheet of plywood measuring 10'x8'.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:51 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aaron, I have a fully loaded woodworking shop with planer, jointer, tablesaw, band saws (2) and more. if you need any work done let me know.

Last edited by fperra; 04-30-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:45 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
I'd read about people using a ping pong table but it's smaller overall than the track I believe. I'll look into it some more. I'd originally thought about 3/4" plywood before I decided I needed a frame instead since I can't find one sheet of plywood measuring 10'x8'.
Do keep in mind that just like a train track ..... you can always buy a few extra pieces of track and .. you know .... make it bigger or at least plan for that in your construction design.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:42 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fperra
Aaron, I have a fully loaded woodworking shop with planer, jointer, tablesaw, band saws (2) and more. if you need any work done let me know.
That sounds like an offer I can't refuse, Fred. I'll just have to think about the logistics - maybe cut & fit at your shop but doing the final assembly in my shop. Not sure how I'd haul something 10'x8' back.

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Do keep in mind that just like a train track ..... you can always buy a few extra pieces of track and .. you know .... make it bigger or at least plan for that in your construction design.
I'd already started looking at the different track designs Carrera has on their website. To recreate part of the Nurburgring, I'd need 34 feet by 14 feet, which would be great if I had the space for a permanent location... Not to mention the cost of all the extra track pieces...

I figure I'd better start with what I have and see how that goes - how much fun it is, how many people I can get involved in tournaments, etc.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

We have a Carrera set we put up around the Tree every Christmas. I still have my HO cars from the late 60's, had a *** 1/32nd Cheetah when I was a kid, no idea what happened to it...You should get more track and make an epic road course.....

Last edited by JETninja; 05-04-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:24 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JETninja
We have a Carrera set we put up around the Tree every Christmas. I still have my HO cars from the late 60's, had a *** 1/32nd Cheetah when I was a kid, no idea what happened to it...You should get more track and make an epic road course.....
Thanks for the push - I've been trying to be "reasonable." Even before I ordered it, I was looking at all the various real-world track configurations & plans Carrera offers. It would be really easy to go overboard - but then again, if I can get the whole track on a pulley system to raise it to the rafters when not in use, bigger wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:09 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you do a bigger one the limit may be your ability to reach the center of the track to make repairs (cars falling off the track). Cut a hole in the middle. Measure twice, cut once!

The other issue with suspended tracks is getting them solid while in the down position.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:19 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
If you do a bigger one the limit may be your ability to reach the center of the track to make repairs (cars falling off the track). Cut a hole in the middle. Measure twice, cut once!

The other issue with suspended tracks is getting them solid while in the down position.
That's what turn workers are for.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:34 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SmileyOr

Trust me, since I can't stand that is a big concern and has been foremost on my mind. I've got a rubber-tipped reacher (about 3 1/2') and I plan on getting a second one just for the track. Maybe a 6' one? I was looking at recreating Hockenheim or Suzuka but then the tracks are something like 22 feet long by 7 or more feet wide.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:04 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

Riverside International Raceway comes to mind. Used to have pics of a slot car track of it, maybe on my Desk PC....I'll look sometime soon. But it had everything, long straights, banked turn, fast corners and some slow ones, and elevation changes.....
Old 05-06-2016, 05:46 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JETninja
Riverside International Raceway comes to mind. Used to have pics of a slot car track of it, maybe on my Desk PC....I'll look sometime soon. But it had everything, long straights, banked turn, fast corners and some slow ones, and elevation changes.....
Good idea, John. I've driven that track (okay not very quickly) . Aaron could save a (small) fortune on scenery, like trees.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:19 AM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

That was an interesting track layout and would probably be quite fun with slot cars. It's not one of the plans Carrera has though but worth investigating.

Get notified of new replies

To Input on Building Slot Car Track

Old 05-07-2016, 12:52 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

I grew up at that track so it's always been one of my favorites. In the 60's and early 70s my folks brought me to everything there, Can-Am, Trans-Am, Nascar, F5000, etc. Then I was driving myself there and went for everything including all the bike racing and sports cars. Got to drive it a number of times, and used to have access to huge lenses so I used to just step over the fence and get great shots. I was there for the very last event, an SCCA runoff on a shorten version of the track, and in the evening we all did a lap and officially closed it forever. My first son was in the back set as few month old baby. (prob why he has the huge racing bug as an adult!)
Old 05-07-2016, 02:34 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I remember the track as well. In 1976 I had just picked up a Pantera in Long Beach and went to Riverside to watch the NASCAR Riverside 400 which was won by David Pearson. I ended up with one of my worst sunburns but it was a great race.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:03 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

WA Events Coordinator

In 1970 or so, I was 11yrs old and under the turn 6 grandstand, Richard Petty had flatted, so in his effort to catch up he'd just kiss the wall in front of me lap after lap, it was very cool watching his control of that Dodge.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Input on Building Slot Car Track