Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Air Compressor - need advice and recommendation

Old 04-29-2016, 03:23 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Air Compressor - need advice and recommendation

I could really use a small electric (110VAC) air compressor for the garage. Would be used primarily for tire inflation (up to approx 90 psi)and maybe for small air tools.

Home Depot, Lowes, Sears and others seem to have some attractive buys (< $150) which look like what I need but the reviews aren't good on some of them. I'm not even going to consider anything from, say, Harbor Freight.

Would appreciate any advice experience, comments... etc. Thanks
Old 04-29-2016, 03:48 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by last901
I could really use a small electric (110VAC) air compressor for the garage. Would be used primarily for tire inflation (up to approx 90 psi)and maybe for small air tools.

Home Depot, Lowes, Sears and others seem to have some attractive buys (< $150) which look like what I need but the reviews aren't good on some of them. I'm not even going to consider anything from, say, Harbor Freight.

I have a sears craftsman and no issues at all. it has worked for me now for 7 years! its the oil less compressor. good luck.
The following users liked this post:
last901 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 04:03 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Todds427
I have a sears craftsman and no issues at all. it has worked for me now for 7 years! its the oil less compressor. good luck.
Do you know which model or capacity? I suspect they have more than one model in this range. That's very helpful information. Thank you.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:38 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a Porter-Cable 150 PSI for about $150. It will NOT run an impact wrench to remove lugnuts. Be sure to spend a little time online reading reviews. I think the reason why my compressor will not run the tool is not because because the PSI isn't high enough, but because there are small lines to the air fittings and it does not provide the volume needed to run the bigger tools.
last901 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:19 PM
460HP-YLO-JAKT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by last901

I bought the 200 PSI Dewalt (15 gallon tank) 110Vat Home Depot. It does everything I need to work on my cars…..air pressure settings, removing lug nuts for tire rotations and many other air tools used on other home projects. Well worth the money IMHO.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:43 AM
HDLARRY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I did some research about a year ago looking for a good quality, quiet and portable air compressor. Something to use for smaller jobs such as tires, blowing dust, nail guns etc. Ended up with a Makita MAC700 and have no regrets. It is compact, quiet, well built and refills the tank from 100 up to 125PSI in about 15 seconds. I don't recommend this for running larger impact drivers unless you piggy-back an extra 4 gallon or larger receiver tank. With the piggy-back tank you will have the air volume needed for impact driver use. If you have to run larger or multiple pneumatic tools at the same time I would recommend a bigger compressor.

Last edited by HDLARRY; 04-30-2016 at 04:51 AM.
last901 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 09:39 AM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ir+compressors
last901 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 10:58 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Look for something that has a 20 gallon air tank at a minimum. That size tank will allow for inflating tires, using some air tools like a impact wrench or air ratchet. Tools like air powered drills, sanders, grinders will use up the air in a 20 gallon tank quickly and the motor will run every minute or two. Look for a compressor with a 150psi capacity or even more. Most of the compressors sold at Home Depot or Lowe's are made by Campbell-Hausfeld. That's a good brand with many years experience in homeowner style compressors.

Most of the compressors with that size tank will have direct-drive oil less pumps which can get pretty noisy. Belt-driven pumps will be quieter but that makes the compressor more expensive. There are some compressors that have the tank mounted upright so that means a smaller footprint. Most compressors in the 10-20 gallon range will have wheels so they can be moved to the work.

Compressors in the 20 gallon size will need a 15 amp circuit to work well. Most garages should have a 15A circuit.
last901 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 05:22 AM
HDLARRY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Found this air compressor sizing info online and is based on the tools you may want run with it.

Air Compressors for Home Use –
Many homeowners will use smaller, portable air compressors (either hand-carried or wheeled) that move easily from the garage to the house, yard or roof. Common air tools such as brad nailers, reversible drills, and impact wrenches require about 0–5 CFM (Cubic feet per minute — units in which air flow is measured). It's important to know if the compressor you purchase will drive the air tool you'll need for your project. For example, smaller air nailers run on 2 to 5 CFM at 70 to 90 PSI, while larger shears, sanders require up to 10 or more CFM and 100 to 120 PSI.

How do I determine my CFM Requirements?
The chart below includes some common air tools and their average CFM measurements. Reference this chart to determine what continuous CFM rating is required of your air compressor. Air tools are often rated as “Average CFM.” “Average CFM” is typically based on a 25% duty cycle (15 seconds out of a min.). This sometimes creates a problem with tools that are used on a continuous basis (ex. orbital sanders, die grinders, etc). Nailers and impact wrenches typically don't have the same problem since by their nature are used more intermittently.
If you plan on using an air tool on a continuous basis, it is a good idea to multiply the “Average CFM” x 4 to get a continuous CFM rating for the tool.

Air Tool Description-------------Average CFM @ 90 PSI

Angle Disc Grinder - 7"--------------5-8
Brad Nailer-------------------------0.3
Chisel/Hammer---------------------3-11
Cut-Off Tool-----------------------4-10
Drill, Reversible or Straight-Line-----3-6
Dual Sander----------------------11-13
Framing Nailer----------------------2.2
Grease Gun-------------------------4
Hydraulic Riveter--------------------4
Impact Wrench - 3/8"------------2.5-3.5
Impact Wrench - 1/2"--------------4-5
Impact Wrench - 1"----------------10
Mini Die Grinder--------------------4-6
Needle Scaler---------------------8-16
Nibbler-----------------------------4
Orbital Sander---------------------6-9
Ratchet - 1/4"-------------------2.5-3.5
Ratchet - 3/8"-------------------4.5-5
Rotational Sander-----------------8-12.5
Shears---------------------------8-16
Speed Saw------------------------5
last901 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 PM
fperra
Safety Car

This looks like a nice one:
Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 AM
HDLARRY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fperra
This looks like a nice one:Hitachi EC99S air compressor
I also like this one. The Hitachi EC99S has very similar specs to the Makita MAC700 compressor but also has a larger tank, 4 vs 2.6 gallons. Only thing I would check on is the warranty which I could not find but would expect it to be one year.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You people are amazing! Lots of information to research and digest. The Makita and Hitachi were great suggestions and I also learned that an oil-bath compressor is typically quieter and longer lasting than than one without, hence better value, if more expensive. I had pretty much figured the best deal was outside my budget range, but worth every cent.

As I mulled these ideas over and over, I started to develop this image of the neighbor kids asking if I could blow up their football and then wheeling (wheels optional) out this 20 gallon, 45 lb compressor....

All good stuff, and I may buy that big oil-bath "Binford" (RRRRrrrrrr) style compressor just because of the value and because it looks so cool. Even if I do have to move it everytime I want to get the cars out of the garage.

Thanks to all of you who contributed your valuable advice.
i wonder if I paid just a bit more the guys at E@RTC would allow a space for me to show off my new compressor?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:27 PM
fperra
Safety Car

First you have to show it off here.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:33 PM
HDLARRY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I hear that the New England Patriots are looking for someone to help air up their football's. Sounds like a job for you and your new compressor.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HDLARRY
I hear that the New England Patriots are looking for someone to help air up their football's. Sounds like a job for you and your new compressor.
Now that's perfect. Love it.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:24 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I got a vertical unit from Harbor Freight 3yrs ago, works great.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:02 PM
vetteguy8
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Noco Genius GB40, In storage for over a year and still full!

Get notified of new replies

To Air Compressor - need advice and recommendation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Compressor - need advice and recommendation