Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Okay, I'm Bored... But indulge me just for fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:35 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by last901
Getting involved in drag boats... and drag racing.

But it's the music of my formative years that evokes these memories and I realize I'm older than many of you on this forum. Songs like the one I'm listening to as I write this...

Yet, I realize these might seem like anachronisms to many of you...

So, given that, what are the memories that still hang on after years and years... Not looking for confessions here, but just things that will never get out of your mind...

Hope I'm not seeming too strange... just curious to see if anyone holds on to memories as I do...

Would you agree that the Beatles ruined music that one could actually dance to?
Phil, no you aren't the only one holds on to memories as you can see by the posts that follow yours. I was doing the same thing with some old super 8 movies a couple years back. Put them all together and had Costco make a disk of them. Came out pretty good too. Mostly family pictures. The ex has most of the still photos of cars and boats from back then and hard to pry copies out of her.

Since you are involved with boats, some of the memories of mine. Will try to put a little comment about each.

A little Diamond Cup History
http://www.lesliefield.com/other_his...nt_forever.htm

Two of my brother-in-laws used to race limited drag type boats in oval races around the northwest. I remember going to some at Lake Sammamish in the early 70's. They did close/over 90mph as I recall and every now and then one would take off and one I know of killed the driver and he was one of the best.

My Dad was always into cars and boats. He built several boats, the smaller inboard type and I of course became a small chip off a bigger block. Spent a lot of summer weekends at Priest Lake in particular in the late 50's and up to the 70's. My first real job, at 14, was a Dock boy and cabin cleaner at Hill's Resort on Priest lake.

Here's a boat from the past. I believe it was around a 58 Century Arabian. Friend of mine's family owned one like it. His favorite thing was to take it out and Swap ends with it. Otherwise the rest of us would dive off the backend when he was going about 30mph. Funny feeling, you didn't know if you were swimming up or down for a moment.

My brother-in-law owned a boat like this, fun party boat. '

First boat I owned. Old Higgins, bad plywood during the era, prone to dry rot. got most of it fixed.

Build 2 boats myself back in the day. One was a 21' x 8' high houseboat with 2 Scott 75's for power. Pram hull but would get up on plane. While I was building it my neighbor would come over and say, Hey Noah, will it be ready before the rain. Took it to Seattle when we were over there and had it at Kenmore Marina when we lived in Forest Park. Went through the locks with it and had some good fun. Sold it before we left. Also built a 12' pickle fork hydro had an old Evenrude 35 I bought off a dealer for junk. Finding the gas tank cost more than the motor. Cash was short in those days. It looked something like this only not nearly as finished looking. Wood hull that I fiber glassed. Was a bonding project with my son but you can guess who did most of the work. He studied good though and it paid off for him.

First car was a 1949 Mercury Coupe, flathead V-8, cost $300. Had fun fixing it up. Back then everyone would cruise Riverside St in Spokane and out to a couple of the local drive-Ins like the XXX.

We use to have a Drag race street a little out of town. Main feature was a small radio station on the same street use to play requests if you came up to the window. Kind of like Wolf-Man Jack. My friend had a 57 Plymouth Fury and I remember him dragging a friend with a New Ford Edsel. I think he won but that Edsel could really move too. After going through a lot of old Mopars, my dad was a Mopar guy, got couple cars I would like to still have.

Cars it would be nice to still have.

1960 Corvette, had the hardtop too. Dual 4brl carbs.

1959 Plymouth Sport Fury. Hemi/Auto.

Music, started in about 56- 58 Blue Swede Shoes and Heartbreak Hotel. Love all kinds of music since, at least the kind you can understand the words, nothing heavy metal sorry. Everything from Elvis to Andre Rieu. Country to Pop. Last concert here in town a couple weeks ago, KC and the Sunshine Band. Disco but he still puts on a good show. Looking at him reminds me I am getting old. Got tickets to see Rod Stewart this March in LV. Never got to many of the big 50's - 60's concerts here in town, weren't many. Later got to see Toby Keith, Cher, Burt Bacharach, Phantom of the Opera, Paul Anka, and a few others.
Good music brings people together. Yep, I'm probably older than you and most of the folks here. Still fun to follow things here.

"Hope I'm not feeling to strange." A lot of people here so different strokes for different folks. See my signature for my feelings about that.lol
Life is short, enjoy it while you can. As they say, "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference." And, I might add if it isn't broke done mess with it.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 12-26-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:36 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In 2011 my dad passed away from ALS. I put together a collection of photos from his childhood through his 81st birthday party, scanned them all in and put them to music. John Denver's Take Me Home Country Roads and Over the Rainbow sung by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. John Denver was one of his favorite artists and Over the Rainbow just seemed to fit. He passed just a couple weeks after his 81st birthday.

I have both songs on several mixed CD's and USB drives that I listen to regularly. These bring back memories along with a few others that when I hear them I can remember what I was doing at the time I heard the song 35 to 45 years ago.

Phil, I remember meeting you at the Hydroplane museum 2 years ago. My condolences on the loss of your younger sister. I lost my younger brother to a motorcycle accident 16 years ago. No music that I remember him by though, even though he was an amateur guitarist and played in a band at local bars.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:45 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
Phil, no you aren't the only one holds on to memories as you can see by the posts that follow yours. I was doing the same thing with some old super 8 movies a couple years back. Put them all together and had Costco make a disk of them. Came out pretty good too. Mostly family pictures. The ex has most of the still photos of cars and boats from back then and hard to pry copies out of her.

Since you are involved with boats, some of the memories of mine. Will try to put a little comment about each.

A little Diamond Cup History
http://www.lesliefield.com/other_his...nt_forever.htm

Two of my brother-in-laws used to race limited drag type boats in oval races around the northwest. I remember going to some at Lake Sammamish in the early 70's. They did close/over 90mph as I recall and every now and then one would take off and one I know of killed the driver and he was one of the best.

My Dad was always into cars and boats. He built several boats, the smaller inboard type and I of course became a small chip off a bigger block. Spent a lot of summer weekends at Priest Lake in particular in the late 50's and up to the 70's. My first real job, at 14, was a Dock boy and cabin cleaner at Hill's Resort on Priest lake.

Here's a boat from the past. I believe it was around a 58 Century Arabian. Friend of mine's family owned one like it. His favorite thing was to take it out and Swap ends with it. Otherwise the rest of us would dive off the backend when he was going about 30mph. Funny feeling, you didn't know if you were swimming up or down for a moment.

My brother-in-law owned a boat like this, fun party boat. '

First boat I owned. Old Higgins, bad plywood during the era, prone to dry rot. got most of it fixed.

Build 2 boats myself back in the day. One was a 21' x 8' high houseboat with 2 Scott 75's for power. Pram hull but would get up on plane. While I was building it my neighbor would come over and say, Hey Noah, will it be ready before the rain. Took it to Seattle when we were over there and had it at Kenmore Marina when we lived in Forest Park. Went through the locks with it and had some good fun. Sold it before we left. Also built a 12' pickle fork hydro had an old Evenrude 35 I bought off a dealer for junk. Finding the gas tank cost more than the motor. Cash was short in those days. It looked something like this only not nearly as finished looking. Wood hull that I fiber glassed. Was a bonding project with my son but you can guess who did most of the work. He studied good though and it paid off for him.

First car was a 1949 Mercury Coupe, flathead V-8, cost $300. Had fun fixing it up. Back then everyone would cruise Riverside St in Spokane and out to a couple of the local drive-Ins like the XXX.

We use to have a Drag race street a little out of town. Main feature was a small radio station on the same street use to play requests if you came up to the window. Kind of like Wolf-Man Jack. My friend had a 57 Plymouth Fury and I remember him dragging a friend with a New Ford Edsel. I think he won but that Edsel could really move too. After going through a lot of old Mopars, my dad was a Mopar guy, got couple cars I would like to still have.

Cars it would be nice to still have.

1960 Corvette, had the hardtop too. Dual 4brl carbs.

1959 Plymouth Sport Fury. Hemi/Auto.

Music, started in about 56- 58 Blue Swede Shoes and Heartbreak Hotel. Love all kinds of music since, at least the kind you can understand the words, nothing heavy metal sorry. Everything from Elvis to Andre Rieu. Country to Pop. Last concert here in town a couple weeks ago, KC and the Sunshine Band. Disco but he still puts on a good show. Looking at him reminds me I am getting old. Got tickets to see Rod Stewart this March in LV. Never got to many of the big 50's - 60's concerts here in town, weren't many. Later got to see Toby Keith, Cher, Burt Bacharach, Phantom of the Opera, Paul Anka, and a few others.
Good music brings people together. Yep, I'm probably older than you and most of the folks here. Still fun to follow things here.

"Hope I'm not feeling to strange." A lot of people here so different strokes for different folks. See my signature for my feelings about that.lol
Life is short, enjoy it while you can. As they say, "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference." And, I might add if it isn't broke done mess with it.
Wow! Beautiful response and much appreciated. I've read it several times. Thanks for sharing your memories and for the photos. The Century line of boats reminded me of when I was a kid and somebody - a cereal company, (Post, maybe) had a mail in offer that allowed one to send in a box top and an amount of money that was probably a week's allowance, and in return got one of several selections of "speedboats". I know I had at least one Century, but for some reason I've always been enamored of the Chris Craft Cobra.

If memory serves, the chosen craft was sent with a tube of some obnoxious-smelling paste-like material that was supposed to be spread along the trailing edge of the transom or fantail and through some chemical reaction, propelled the little plastic boat forward.

Now, do not confuse these with the "competitors' offerings of little plastic replicas of the then-marvelous USS Nautilus submarine which, with a small amount of baking powder gently stuffed into the conning tower would allow the sub to submerge (among a few bubbles) only to resurface a few seconds later and then repeat the cycle.

What I do not remember as vividly was who offered those little plastic "Frogmen? (what today we think of as Navy Seals) that would operate much as the Nautilus submarine, yet their heads didn't pop off in order to insert the baking powder.

Now, if you're of my generation- and you must be if you're hanging out on this forum - you might well imagine my mother's reaction when she opened the bathroom door, probably to praise me for taking a bath without having to coax me into it, only to find 12 gallons of the local water districts' finest filtered and purified water providing the setting for a huge battle between 2 Nautilus Subs, 6 Frogman and a couple of of Century speedboats. All emitting various scents of chemicals and baking goods throughout the house.

Jeez, those days were great.

Last edited by last901; 12-27-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:38 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Thanks Phil, lots of good fun in the past. Seems like if there was not much going on we would create something to do and have many funny stories to remember. I didn't have the frogmen but had the sub.

Most curious thing, wife and I took a trip up to Victoria on the Ferry about two years ago. Saw a little submarine cruising along on the way. Sure looked like a "real" old one but it was chugging along a bit ahead and across the ferry. You know if someone has an old sub they ride around in up there?

Vette's been sleeping now for about a month. Go out and start her up every week and run though the gears. Found out I have a parasitic draw on the battery will have to get fixed in the spring. Have chased it down to the Batts5 fuse and the fuses that it runs. If I pull it, seems to turn everything off but when I start the car it resets and drawing to many amps till the 20minute shut down occurs. Guess there was a programing error in the 2005/2006 the dealers know about. Going to see if one here in town will fix it. May be a ground or some other circuit but I'm at my limit for finding it.

In case you or some of the others missed not having a White Christmas over there on the coast here's probably enough to get your fix. Had about 3 more inches last night and more to come.
This is looking out to the West of Spokane. We have some great sunsets but the overcast all the time looks a little like Seattle now and the white stuff can go anytime it likes.

Happy New Year All, hope it's the best in 2017.

PS - Phil, if your Mom had any pictures of you and your battles in the bath tub, I think everyone would love to see them.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 12-28-2016 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:18 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
Thanks Phil, lots of good fun in the past. Seems like if there was not much going on we would create something to do and have many funny stories to remember. I didn't have the frogmen but had the sub.

Most curious thing, wife and I took a trip up to Victoria on the Ferry about two years ago. Saw a little submarine cruising along on the way. Sure looked like a "real" old one but it was chugging along a bit ahead and across the ferry. You know if someone has an old sub they ride around in up there?

Vette's been sleeping now for about a month. Go out and start her up every week and run though the gears. Found out I have a parasitic draw on the battery will have to get fixed in the spring. Have chased it down to the Batts5 fuse and the fuses that it runs. If I pull it, seems to turn everything off but when I start the car it resets and drawing to many amps till the 20minute shut down occurs. Guess there was a programing error in the 2005/2006 the dealers know about. Going to see if one here in town will fix it. May be a ground or some other circuit but I'm at my limit for finding it.

In case you or some of the others missed not having a White Christmas over there on the coast here's probably enough to get your fix. Had about 3 more inches last night and more to come.
This is looking out to the West of Spokane. We have some great sunsets but the overcast all the time looks a little like Seattle now and the white stuff can go anytime it likes.

Happy New Year All, hope it's the best in 2017.

PS - Phil, if your Mom had any pictures of you and your battles in the bath tub, I think everyone would love to see them.
Hmmm,I wonder if the submarine you saw was some sort of research vessel?

No pictures of me reenacting the Battle of Midway with all my small baking powder boats. In fact, other than for intended and proper use, I was banned from the bathtub after Mom caught me trying out my futuristic hand made hydroplane with a Jet-Ex mounted on the afterplane. (If anyone remembers those little metal cylindrical capsules into which one inserted two solid fuel propellant pellets and attached a fuse). I had used Jet-Ex motors before on tether race cars and balsa airplanes, but never indoors in a bathtub setting (with the door shut and locked and windows closed...)

My God! I had no idea those little motors emitted so much smoke and how difficult it would be to get that volcano-like smell out of the house. Never noticed that when I used them outdoors. Made those smoke bombs from the fireworks stand seem laughable. Although I don't remember my mother laughing at the time.

Remember when mothers didn't have jobs and so often used the phrase, "Just wait until your father gets home!"?

At least I never put out my sister's eye out with a stick (or my Daisy BB Gun).

Last edited by last901; 12-28-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Okay, I'm Bored... But indulge me just for fun