Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Okay, I'm Bored... But indulge me just for fun

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:08 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Okay, I'm Bored... But indulge me just for fun

As some of you know, I recently lost my younger sister to Alzheimers and have been going though old family pictures and 8mm home movies and, yes, crying a lot.

For some reason, I've also been listening by way of iTunes to a lot of old music. Thinking of my days as a roadie with the band (Tiny Tony and the Statics) and the Spanish Castle and other venues, barely getting out of high school, failing my draft physical and then losing friends in Viet Nam. Saving my paychecks to buy a new GTO... Getting involved in drag boats... and drag racing.

But it's the music of my formative years that evokes these memories and I realize I'm older than many of you on this forum. Songs like the one I'm listening to as I write this...

House of he Rising Sun, by the Animals
White Rabbit, by Jefferson Airplane
Louie Louie by the Fabulous Wailers, Don and the Goodtimes

Yet, I realize these might seem like anachronisms to many of you...

So, given that, what are the memories that still hang on after years and years... Not looking for confessions here, but just things that will never get out of your mind...

Hope I'm not seeming too strange... just curious to see if anyone holds on to memories as I do...

Would you agree that the Beatles ruined music that one could actually dance to?

Last edited by last901; 11-26-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry to hear about your sister.

And as to the topic, as long as you have good memories to keep your company and daydream about, you haven't wasted anything!

As for me, I was and partially still am more of an Emerson Lake and Palmer and King Crimson fan.

Here s a picture of me from high school when I was 16! Couldn't afford a GTO, although after graduating from U, I did buy a used 74 420CI red Trans Am!

Happy belated Thanksgiving!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Kamran; 11-26-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:55 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

So sorry to hear about your sister. I know its tough having someone in the family with Alzheimer's as my grandma has it.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:58 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Hey Phil, I'm sorry about the loss of your sister. I understand how it might feel as I lost my sister the day before 9/11...that was one of the worst weeks of my life.

Speaking about old memories, and you aren't all that much older than I am (65 next month), I remember 2 of the 3 songs you mentioned, but I was a James Brown fan in my high school years. I used to carry one of those portable reel-to-reel tape recorders with me on which I'd recorded, from local radio stations, a lot of his popular songs. Every time I hear James Brown even now, I think back to those high school days and how his music still makes me want to move my feet and dance a little.

When I was 13, I spent a week or so in L.A. with a buddy of mine whose girlfriend had a twin sister. The four of us hung out that whole week and I had my first official crush. The song, "Reach Out, I'll Be There" by the Four Tops was very popular during that time and it is impossible for me to hear that song, even now, without thinking about that week in L.A.

Music is powerful.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:58 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

So sorry about your Sister Phil.......

I may not be as old (57) but I know those songs quite well, I'm a huge music fan. I've been to over 75 concerts since 1975 and own thousands of lossless format Bootlegs from Elvis to Zeppelin...and everything inbetween. I couldn't live without music.....

Here's a pic of me HS time with my step cousin Sandy Pesavento otherwise known as Sandy West, she was the drummer for the Runaways all girl band.....she passed more than 10yrs ago. I spent quite a few times with the band in the studio in Santa Monica, even met Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple (he was dating Lita Ford at the time).

Old 11-27-2016, 01:58 PM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry to hear about your sister Phil. I lost my step dad to Dimensia when he was only 65 years old. What a terrible way to go.

Also, a very good friend of mine from High School passed away in 2006. We grew up in the 70's graduating in 78. He was the one that got me fueled with the passion of anything relating to horsepower. We used to listen to lots of music; The Beatles, The Cars, Talking Heads, Diana Ross, AC/DC, Van Halen to name a few. That music, every time I hear it brings back fond memories growing up and cruising in his 55 Buick Special. We were known to travel anywhere from Bellingham to Puyallup cruising around looking for girls! But our most likely hangout was Golden Gardens. Being a Ballardite the Gardens was the place to be on the weekends until the police would show up and kick us out. Then we would travel to Alki or the Renton Loop to continue our fun.

Here are a few pictures.

This was my first car after high school. I put 34K miles on it in one year!

After I nearly killed myself in my 69 Chevelle SS, I decided to go with something a little slower. Little did I know it wasn't much safer!

Wouldn't trade those memories for anything!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:00 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Wonderful responses... to my Maudlin Thread

Thank all of you who responded with condolences about my sister. We didn't get along all the time when we were kids, but she lived long enough to know I loved her and now I miss her.

Joe, thanks for the mention of R&B and, especially, James Brown. If I didn't have every record he made, I have almost all of them by now. I tried to learn how to dance like JB, but failed miserably. Danced well enough to get by at the 'Castle and the other venues that we traveled to in the NW.

The first concert I remember attending was to see Little Richard at the Eagles Auditorium and then Elvis when he played at Sicks' Stadium (stage was on second base and I was in the left field bleachers. I saw him though, even if my new white buck suede shoes took a beating. Anyone ever been to a Seattle Rainiers game at Sicks Stadium?

But, Joe, I was such an R&B fan that I used to listen to KZAM-FM and Bob Summerise, the only R&B station we had at the time. The local AM stations like KJR, KOL and others just played that what we came to call "bubble gum" music.

When I bought my new MGB, I had the dealer install an AM/FM/Short wave Blaupunkt radio so I could listen to KZAM. I guss h station had a pretty weak signal because I couldn't litnd to my R&B hits as I had hoped. I did manage to pick up some communications between fishing boats in Eliott Bay though.

I also want to add my appreciation for the people on this forum. I've been involved as a member or an officer in just about every car club in the area. Ferrari, Jaguar, Alfa, and rally and autocross groups. But this group of Corvette owners and enthusiasts is the one I've enjoyed the most. Perhaps, being a forum instead of a club with attendant rules and meetings and such, we avoid a lot of he nonsense that can so easily make club environments uncomfortable for some. I really like to communicate with you people and it feels like all of you are friends.

So, Id like to enjoy hearing from more and talking about old times and fond memories around our region. There's a lot to share, even if some of you younger people might find it hard to believe.

I believe I'll go pour another scotch.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:09 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Phil. So sorry to hear about your sister!!
About 1980, I had my whole world fall apart. My first husband Van died of cerebral hemorrhage at only 37yrs. Then my dad,brother and good friend within weeks of each other. I lived on a houseboat in the LA Harbor and thank God for good friends and Ken being one of them. My sister called and said she threw away all our family photos because she was upset with my dad before he died. That was the last time I talked to her. I have thought about looking her up, but NO!

Thanks to God, Ken was my first husband's best friend and our friendship turned to love. Been a VERY happy 35yrs of marriage!!!!
Old 11-28-2016, 03:48 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
Hey Phil. So sorry to hear about your sister!!
About 1980, I had my whole world fall apart. My first husband Van died of cerebral hemorrhage at only 37yrs. Then my dad,brother and good friend within weeks of each other. I lived on a houseboat in the LA Harbor and thank God for good friends and Ken being one of them. My sister called and said she threw away all our family photos because she was upset with my dad before he died. That was the last time I talked to her. I have thought about looking her up, but NO!

Thanks to God, Ken was my first husband's best friend and our friendship turned to love. Been a VERY happy 35yrs of marriage!!!!
Wonderful story, if sad, thank you for sharing.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:06 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default OK I'm bored.

January 1st 1970 inside Diamond Head Crater with Led Zepplin playing and extended version of Whole lotta love with skydivers and flares of various colors falling from the sky. Laying on my back because I couldn't stand up. I think I remember. What a concert !
Old 11-29-2016, 04:51 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette
January 1st 1970 inside Diamond Head Crater with Led Zepplin playing and extended version of Whole lotta love with skydivers and flares of various colors falling from the sky. Laying on my back because I couldn't stand up. I think I remember. What a concert !
Now That's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:51 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kamran
Sorry to hear about your sister.

And as to the topic, as long as you have good memories to keep your company and daydream about, you haven't wasted anything!

As for me, I was and partially still am more of an Emerson Lake and Palmer and King Crimson fan.

Here s a picture of me from high school when I was 16! Couldn't afford a GTO, although after graduating from U, I did buy a used 74 420CI red Trans Am!

Happy belated Thanksgiving!
If that isn't the definitive picture of the late 60's early 70's I don't know what is. Well, except for the great photo of Jet Ninja, elsewhere in this thread. All that curly hair...
The following users liked this post:
Kamran (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by last901
If that isn't the definitive picture of the late 60's early 70's I don't know what is. Well, except for the great photo of Jet Ninja, elsewhere in this thread. All that curly hair...
Haha! Did someone say long curly hair? Although not as 60/70's definitive (check out the bracelet):
Attached Images  

Last edited by Kamran; 11-29-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:05 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Well...since we're going old school with the cars and photos and all, here's me in 1976 (40 years ago!). I'd just bought that white Triumph TR7, at once the best and the worst car I've ever driven. I was taking my dad for a ride in it and he took the photo.

For you young guys, those pants were really cool back then so don't laugh too hard.

It was the best because it handled like it was on rails. That was its best feature. The engine was a little weak though. That summer of 1976, I drove up the coast from the Bay Area all the way to Victoria, BC. Went up the coast highway through the Redwoods of Northern California, along the Oregon Coast and up to Port Angeles via Forks. Took the ferry to Victoria, loved it, and came back down through Olympia and the rest on Interstate 5 back home. I never dreamed that I'd end up living in Washington state five years later.

At one point on the way up the coast, I was on a twisty road where the superb handling of the TR7 allowed me to sort of keep up with a blue C3 Corvette that was just ahead of me. Thought I was cool because I was 'going as fast as a Vette.' But after a few miles of this, the road eventually straightened out and before I could say "where did it go?" it was gone. That was my lesson in humility for that day.

It was the worst because on a different occasion while in Southern California, it left me stranded more than once due to the ill-conceived electrical system. Once the speedometer just quit working, once it just quit running period. Lucas electronics. The worst. That's why the Brits drink their beer warm...Lucas electronics.

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 11-29-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:13 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
Well...since we're going old school with the cars and photos and all, here's me in 1976 (40 years ago!). I'd just bought that white Triumph TR7, at once the best and the worst car I've ever driven. I was taking my dad for a ride in it and he took the photo.

For you young guys, those pants were really cool back then so don't laugh too hard.

It was the best because it handled like it was on rails. That was its best feature. The engine was a little weak though. That summer of 1976, I drove up the coast from the Bay Area all the way to Victoria, BC. Went up the coast highway through the Redwoods of Northern California, along the Oregon Coast and up to Port Angeles via Forks. Took the ferry to Victoria, loved it, and came back down through Olympia and the rest on Interstate 5 back home. I never dreamed that I'd end up living in Washington state five years later.

At one point on the way up the coast, I was on a twisty road where the superb handling of the TR7 allowed me to sort of keep up with a blue C3 Corvette that was just ahead of me. Thought I was cool because I was 'going as fast as a Vette.' But after a few miles of this, the road eventually straightened out and before I could say "where did it go?" it was gone. That was my lesson in humility for that day.

It was the worst because on a different occasion while in Southern California, it left me stranded more than once due to the ill-conceived electrical system. Once the speedometer just quit working, once it just quit running period. Lucas electronics. The worst. That's why the Brits drink their beer warm...Lucas electronics.
I gotta get my thoughts together on this one. It's classic.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:51 PM
Kamran
Pro

If you still got those pants,you can get a lot of money for them TODAY! And if you wear them in Capital Hill, you'll get a lot of complements TODAY!

TR7 is a classic. My dream car then was a TR6 first, then a GT6 second.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:50 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kamran

TR7 is a classic. My dream car then was a TR6 first, then a GT6 second.
I was an MG guy myself, having owned two of them. When I was working at the Downtown Alfa store we had both a TR-6 and a GT6 among our used car. Used to take one or the other home occasionally and must say they were fun to drive. I'm sure they would feel ancient today, but that's the charm of old British cars.

I ran hot and cold on the TR-7. Did some rallying in one owned by a friend of mine. A"Classic" though? I suppose by now it's certainly a collectible. Now, the similar TR-8 Spider V8 would be the one I'd want...

Get notified of new replies

To Okay, I'm Bored... But indulge me just for fun

Old 11-30-2016, 10:10 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by last901
I was an MG guy myself, having owned two of them. When I was working at the Downtown Alfa store we had both a TR-6 and a GT6 among our used car. Used to take one or the other home occasionally and must say they were fun to drive. I'm sure they would feel ancient today, but that's the charm of old British cars.

I ran hot and cold on the TR-7. Did some rallying in one owned by a friend of mine. A"Classic" though? I suppose by now it's certainly a collectible. Now, the similar TR-8 Spider V8 would be the one I'd want...
The big boy was the V8 Triumph Stag! Back in the 90"s I chased after a nice lady driving a beautiful yellow GT6 all the way to a parking lot in Redmond just to ask her if she wanted to sell yet! No, she said!

The only thing I knew about MG's was that you had to be avid mechanic to own one! I did like the MGBGT's though. Just to scared to go anywhere near them!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow, it really takes guts to publish a photo like that in public, now. But I remember those days and I even had similar clothes. We were definitely COOL then.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:06 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars

Wow, it really takes guts to publish a photo like that in public, now. But I remember those days and I even had similar clothes. We were definitely COOL then.
Keith, you and Joe are still cool, at least in my book. Wonder what those pants might be worth today. (Probably more than the Triumph)

BTW, Keith, you ned to stop by the museum to have a look at the Incredible Shrinking Hydroplane that was once Chip's "Squire Shop". At the rate we're going, I'm not sure if we're restoring a race boat or simply seeing how far we can go in terms of actually salvaging enough to call it a restoration. The 'Blaster team misses you.

Quick Reply: Okay, I'm Bored... But indulge me just for fun