Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Off-Topic: Travel Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:29 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Off-Topic: Travel Advice

I've been considering a cruise to the Caribbean this spring, but am having some difficulty deciding which trip or cruise line to take. We've cruised before but mostly on the West Coast and to Mexico. There are any number of places we'd like to see, like Cozumel (Mayan Ruins), Jamaica, Virgin Islands, Barbados....

Very few cruise lines seem to offer trips to different areas, but none to everyplace I want to see.

I know a lot of you have taken Caribbean cruises so thought you might give me some ideas about which to pick.

I do not need to snorkel, I - okay, my wife - doesn't want to help manage the boat like on those "Barefoot Trips"... She doesn't even swim. In fact she's not really much fun to travel with, but don't tell her I said that - Walter.

A final gesture here, in order to keep the minder-moderators happy: I'll offer the following statement from my wife, Mary.....

"Alright, you've had your Porsches, your motorcycles, Corvettes and trips to everyplace YOU want to go (mostly car events, like Monterey, Talledega and the Saturday sprint car races at Skagit Speedway), but I want to go on a cruise again, or something"

So, unless any of you are attorneys specializing in divorce or estate planning, Please share your thoughts and ideas on Caribbean cruises.

Thanks...

Last edited by last901; 12-30-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:52 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

The Wife and I have done 4 cruises there since 1995. We prefer the Eastern side, not so much poverty, though we did do a southern one and still had a good time. We only sail Carnival (9 times so far) though they keep cutting out so many things that used to be part of them not sure how many more times we'll sail with them, that said we have never had a bad cruise with them. Also have done Europe, Alaska and 3 times in Mexico with them....
Old 12-30-2016, 05:31 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JETninja
The Wife and I have done 4 cruises there since 1995. We prefer the Eastern side, not so much poverty, though we did do a southern one and still had a good time. We only sail Carnival (9 times so far) though they keep cutting out so many things that used to be part of them not sure how many more times we'll sail with them, that said we have never had a bad cruise with them. Also have done Europe, Alaska and 3 times in Mexico with them....
Just the sort of information I was hoping to receive. For some reason I've always thought Carnival to be the premiere "party boat" Thanks John.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:59 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I have learned all ages sail Carnival. And it can be quite easy to find a quiet alone place on the ships also, so don't fret about 3K people on board. What sold us was our first Cruise in 1995, in Puerto Rico Harbor our ship and two others. Our Lido deck was hopping with a limbo contest going on and just people having fun, other two ships were dark with a few people watching us enjoying ourselves....Now I have not seen a late night limbo contest since, but then I tend to hit the shows with Martini's late night anyways.....
Old 12-31-2016, 08:30 AM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I've traveled all over the world and many times to Caribbean and Bahamas etc. CALL AAA Travel and they will help arrange everything and give you all kinds of good advice! and if your a members...ITS FREE!

Last edited by Todds427; 12-31-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:19 PM
2000 Vette Guy
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Why don't you try the off-topic section.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:45 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by 2000 Vette Guy
Because the greatest minds in the Corvette world hang around the PNW section. Right, fellas?
Old 01-01-2017, 03:01 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2000 Vette Guy
A reasonable suggestion to be sure. I elected to use the PNW forum because any travel is going to originate in the Seattle area. Secondly, I've come know a lot of people on this forum and they know me so the advice I'm likely to receive is going to take into account my preferences, likes and dislikes and, not to forget my age and capabilities.

That's why.

Besides I probably can't afford such a trip in the first place, but it helps give the perception I am wealthier than I am. What fun would it be to try and convince a lot of people I may never meet that I have the means?
Old 01-01-2017, 03:14 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
Because the greatest minds in the Corvette world hang around the PNW section. Right, fellas?
At least the older ones that have nothing better to do and can get to the computer at the Senior Center before anyone else.

Sure beats putting together a 1000-piece puzzle only to discover many of the pieces are missing.

Speaking of missing pieces, when is the next trip to Fred's Riverside scheduled?

Last edited by last901; 01-01-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:00 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't help with which cruise line or location in the Caribbean. But, have a fantastic and relaxing time whichever cruise line you travel with.

The only cruising I've done I was the captain of the "Risus". My former 19' Aluminum fishing/dive boat. From Hornby Island, B.C. to Catalina Island, CA. If there were any troubles I had nobody to yell at but myself. Boy did I get an earfull!

Get notified of new replies

To Off-Topic: Travel Advice

Quick Reply: Off-Topic: Travel Advice