Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

We Lost Another Legend Yesterday (a little off-topic)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default We Lost Another Legend Yesterday (a little off-topic)

Many of you know of my passion for the old Hydroplanes. Indeed a number of you have visited me at the museum and at various events where we run the old thunderboats. Some of you have even joined in the fun Keith (Kmoldcars on the forum) has even done some great work for us and experienced the thrill of riding in one of these monsters a couple of years ago)

So it saddens me to tell you that we you that we lost Ron Jones Sr yesterday. Ron was the son of Ted Jones, the designer, builder and driver of the Slo-mo-Shun hydros that brought hydroplane racing to Seattle in the 50's.

I hope you'll forgive me for sharing the loss of a man I enjoyed and who helped me more than once with a problem or two when restoring the boats that gave us so much excitement in the days before the Seahawks and the Mariners.. Ron was a legend in his own right. Both Ron and Ted are part of the fabric that made Seattle such a great place to live.

http://thunderboats.ning.com

Thanks for indulging me once again.

Last edited by last901; 01-20-2017 at 07:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by last901:
C6 Snowboarder (01-20-2017), JETninja (01-23-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:44 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
Many of you know of my passion for the old Hydroplanes. Indeed a number of you have visited me at the museum and at various events where we run the old thunderboats. Some of you have even joined in the fun Keith (Kmoldcars on the forum) has even done some great work for us and experienced the thrill of riding in one of these monsters a couple of years ago)

So it saddens me to tell you that we you that we lost Ron Jones Sr yesterday. Ron was the son of Ted Jones, the designer, builder and driver of the Slo-mo-Shun hydros that brought hydroplane racing to Seattle in the 50's.

I hope you'll forgive me for sharing the loss of a man I enjoyed and who helped me more than once with a problem or two when restoring the boats that gave us so much excitement in the days before the Seahawks and the Mariners.. Ron was a legend in his own right. Both Ron and Ted are part of the fabric that made Seattle such a great place to live.

http://thunderboats.ning.com

Thanks for indulging me once again.

Thanks for sharing -- I love the boats of the 50s-60s
Old 01-25-2017, 01:17 AM
00Midnight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Phil:

Sorry to hear that about Ron. Mebbe its my age but I do remember their commitment to hydros...

-Mark-
Old 01-25-2017, 09:43 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

We had him at our NE Tacoma house a few years back (2009-ish) when we were trying to sell it. A very gracious guy with stories to tell. He signed my '64 Corvette album. Sorry to hear of his passing. One of his relatives was a real estate agent and brought him out. That's my wife with him.

Get notified of new replies

To We Lost Another Legend Yesterday (a little off-topic)

Quick Reply: We Lost Another Legend Yesterday (a little off-topic)