Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Costco for MPSS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Costco for MPSS?

After too many track days, the Sport Cup 2's are done. Anyone experience good service/price locally at Costco, or have a different recommendation?
F: 245/35/ZR19
R: 285/30/ZR20

Old 08-11-2017, 11:11 AM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I've used Discount Tire in Auburn right by the Supermall (Outlet Collection). They have always met or was able to beat most prices. If you are a Boeing employee let them know and you either get 10% off or a gift card, I can't remember which. They are the only place I go for all of my vehicles. For my Vettes, I just take the wheels down to the shop and drop them off.
The following users liked this post:
bhk2 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:37 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Check out the Tire Rack for price and availability. TR will have a list of area tire installers and TR will also drop ship the tires to one of their installers. Discount Tire Direct does the same thing if you buy tires from their website.

Costco will only install the OEM tire sizes on customer cars. So if you are looking for a non-stock size, Costco probably won't be the place to go. Also check with Costco to make sure their tire mounting equipment will handle large diameter tires like 20's.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:12 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by kenthomas4
I've used Discount Tire in Auburn right by the Supermall (Outlet Collection). They have always met or was able to beat most prices. If you are a Boeing employee let them know and you either get 10% off or a gift card, I can't remember which. They are the only place I go for all of my vehicles. For my Vettes, I just take the wheels down to the shop and drop them off.
I've used this same Discount Tire for about six years now (probably 5-6 sets of tires - at least three for Corvettes) and have always had good service and good prices. As Ken said, they meet or beat a competitor's price. If you're tire needs replaced early for whatever reason, they've sold me the "tire protection" plan at the time of need which saved me a lot of $ on a replacement.

It's also good to know that the Michelin run flats (if that's what you're getting) can be repaired so long as you haven't driven much on them with zero pressure AND Michelin told me the MPSS still maintains its Z speed rating with one plug 1/2" or under - I'd emailed them after a repair was done...
Old 08-11-2017, 09:36 PM
2000 Vette Guy
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I purchased new shoes for my old C6 (sold it 2 months ago) at Costco. They blew everyone else out of the water on the price. Brought Bridgestone and has very happy with the tires and the service rendered to change the tires. I will purchase there again when I need new ones.
bhk2 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong with Discount Tire. I have used their Everett store for many many years with excellent service and prices.
bhk2 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

That store is right around the corner--thanks!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Check out the Tire Rack for price and availability. TR will have a list of area tire installers and TR will also drop ship the tires to one of their installers. Discount Tire Direct does the same thing if you buy tires from their website.

Costco will only install the OEM tire sizes on customer cars. So if you are looking for a non-stock size, Costco probably won't be the place to go. Also check with Costco to make sure their tire mounting equipment will handle large diameter tires like 20's.
Surprisingly, TR was out of stock--thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:05 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
I've used this same Discount Tire for about six years now (probably 5-6 sets of tires - at least three for Corvettes) and have always had good service and good prices. As Ken said, they meet or beat a competitor's price. If you're tire needs replaced early for whatever reason, they've sold me the "tire protection" plan at the time of need which saved me a lot of $ on a replacement.

It's also good to know that the Michelin run flats (if that's what you're getting) can be repaired so long as you haven't driven much on them with zero pressure AND Michelin told me the MPSS still maintains its Z speed rating with one plug 1/2" or under - I'd emailed them after a repair was done...
Thanks Aaron, I am happy with the stock tires for tracking. Prefer to stay with the run flats too. The faster I go, the sooner they wear out.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:02 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
I don't think you can go wrong with Discount Tire. I have used their Everett store for many many years with excellent service and prices.
I am quite happy with the Redmond Discount Tire. I do not recommend Costco for tires.

While shopping for tires, I discovered that some - if not most - tire shops will "price match" Costco. Don't be afraid to mention Tire Rack's price when shopping. And don't forget that the Tire Rack prices typically do not include shipping and installation, even though they do have recommended fitters. Going this route is not necessarily a one-stop shopping experience. Though I've done this before with no problem other than a little inconvenience at having to schlep my tires from my Porsche and ferry them to the fitter, than go back and get my car to have them fitted.

Oh, one word of caution. When I bought my Michelins at Discount Tire, the invoice they presented was about $100 higher than quoted. A close look at the bill reflected some sort of "Extra Super cooler than..." Warranty that didn't make sense for me. I think it was some "deal" that provided full replacement of the tire if not repairable within some period. Maybe not abad deal but it didn;t work for me and I didn't ask for it in the first place.

Last edited by last901; 08-12-2017 at 04:04 PM.
bhk2 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 AM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by last901

Oh, one word of caution. When I bought my Michelins at Discount Tire, the invoice they presented was about $100 higher than quoted. A close look at the bill reflected some sort of "Extra Super cooler than..." Warranty that didn't make sense for me. I think it was some "deal" that provided full replacement of the tire if not repairable within some period. Maybe not abad deal but it didn;t work for me and I didn't ask for it in the first place.
Interesting thought Phil. The one time I bought the extended warrantee it paid off. Had one tire on the wife's car go bad with s bubble. Wound up getting a full set of AS3's for just undeer $600.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:35 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Interesting thought Phil. The one time I bought the extended warrantee it paid off. Had one tire on the wife's car go bad with s bubble. Wound up getting a full set of AS3's for just undeer $600.
Yes, I hope I didn't give the impression that there was anything wrong with the "extended" warranty.As you say t worked for you. My objection was 1) they added it to th invoice without asking me if I wanted it and 2) the time period limit was something that would expire before I had more than maybe 5,000 miles on the tires.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:27 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I've been using Discount Tire for over 20 years, never an issue with them. The one in Redmond has flush lifts, pretty cool...
bhk2 (08-15-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 04:02 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Three out of four sets of tires, Discount Tire has given me four "certificates" for the price of two after I initially refused to buy them.

Get notified of new replies

To Costco for MPSS?

Quick Reply: Costco for MPSS?