Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Has anyone imported a car from Canada?

Old 08-20-2017, 08:38 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Has anyone imported a car from Canada?

looking at 2011 car...will I have to pay gas guzzler tax or any other import fees beyond sales tax? Can't find solid answers on the web other than paying a service.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:46 AM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
looking at 2011 car...will I have to pay gas guzzler tax or any other import fees beyond sales tax? Can't find solid answers on the web other than paying a service.
i imported a Chevrolet 1500 extended cab back in 2000 and had the seller do the pre-work. They had to swap the speedo and convert from kilometers to miles. Had to go through a certified shop in Canada for the work. Then, here for the stat inspection and licensing. Don't remember paying a guzzler tax on it.
The following users liked this post:
SurfnSun (08-21-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:03 PM
seahawkfan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default importing from canada

Hi I have imported a few cars from canada , now these were older muscle cars 77 z28 and a 1980 z28 , for those cars there was no tax involved , did not have to change anything on the car , you have to have a bill of sale , the title of course and the car , the border patrol will inspect the car and you will have to go in the office at the border and fill out a form and will be asked several questions , do not joke with these people as they are very serious people , and do exactly as they say while in the office , it takes between 1 and two hours or less maybe to get this done . I always go through the Blaine border too.
SurfnSun (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 07:32 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks, it seems that importing a classic/collector car is a little different that a modern car if I read the rules correctly. I found one service that would it for $650, so if I end up buying the car that might be the route I go
Old 08-24-2017, 12:19 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 322 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I bought a Canadian car 2 years ago but it was already at a dealer in the states so all the document work was done. It's a 2006 so you just change the settings on the Dic to American or whatever they call it and you are set there. You will still have a temp and oil guage that reads differently(you'll get used to it) but the DIC and Hud will read correctly. Also the Speedometer goes to 300 but reads right with the DIC changes. Think that's all.

There is supposed to be some extra collision bracing in the front and back end I think for Canada. Good luck, haven't had it close to 300 yet. The car was made at Bowling Green so think all the parts are the same as American car. They do have some different parts for overseas cars but not Canadian ones as far as I know. I think the gas tax is just on new cars unless they have change something. Oh some of the service records or things like that refer to Kilometers instead of miles, and don't say so on some forms so you have to figure that to get correct mileage. Just google a conversion table and that is easy.

If you just call a DOT office or your local tabs office they should tell you what paperwork you need for registering in the states and any fees. It's probably online at DOT licensing also? I would start by calling a Border Patrol office to get the other paperwork needed for that, maybe Canadian and US. They are who you have to please.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 08-24-2017 at 12:34 AM.
SurfnSun (08-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone imported a car from Canada?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone imported a car from Canada?