Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Tires for C7 Z51 in Seattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:36 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
The best is to search Tire Rack for what you need. There are plenty of options. (17 different tires as of now) With the info you provided I am thinking Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, but others might have better idea. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Z51%20Package
These tires are noisy.

Again, in Seattle you prolly won't be driving most of the time.
Big fan of the PS3+ A/S on my C7 Z51. I went with NRF and have been happy as anything with 'em in everything but flat-out snow

Last edited by KenHorse; 02-09-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:03 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Sure you will. Seattle is a mild maritime climate. It rarely gets below 40 degrees with an average (mean) temp of 64F. Yes, it rains an average of 37 inches a year, though the last two years have been closer to 50, but very rarely snows. Dallas gets more rain than that. Besides, the car won't melt.

The myth (Mist?) about Seattle rain is greatly overblown. We get less rain than NYC and even when it does rain, it rarely stops people from getting on with life. I think what may be confusing some people (those who believe we're a small town full of Native Tribes, Lumberjacks, and Football hooligans) is that we do get a great many cloudy days. Perfect days for car washing and still -shirt and shorts temps.

Let's put it this way: The way to tell a tourist in Seattle is if they are carrying an umbrella.

Cmon, join us. It ain't Alaska...
Old 02-12-2018, 09:20 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Several months ago, I got a set of Continental ExtremeContact Sports, which are the direct replacement for the previous DW. At the time, there were only subjective reports from drivers who were involved either with direct development of the tire or from racing drivers who were asked to perform more independent testing, and there was a general consensus that the improvements made to the DW resolved the mushiness of that tire but did not result in a more noisy or harsher riding tire. We have the Extreme DWS on a BMW now and found that to be a super quiet, soft riding tire that worked great in rain.

Sad to say I have not found the tire to live up to these claims. It has **great** grip in the wet, but is noisier than the DW or DWS that came before it. The ride is still squishy, and the huge circumferential grooves, which are 5/8" wide, seem to make the tire feel imprecise right at turn-in and before the tire rides up onto the larger shoulder blocks.

The PS4S had just barely become available when I bought the ECS, and I wish I had waited. But if you want to try the Conti, it comes in both C6 and C7 sizes.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:48 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
Several months ago, I got a set of Continental ExtremeContact Sports, which are the direct replacement for the previous DW. At the time, there were only subjective reports from drivers who were involved either with direct development of the tire or from racing drivers who were asked to perform more independent testing, and there was a general consensus that the improvements made to the DW resolved the mushiness of that tire but did not result in a more noisy or harsher riding tire. We have the Extreme DWS on a BMW now and found that to be a super quiet, soft riding tire that worked great in rain.

Sad to say I have not found the tire to live up to these claims. It has **great** grip in the wet, but is noisier than the DW or DWS that came before it. The ride is still squishy, and the huge circumferential grooves, which are 5/8" wide, seem to make the tire feel imprecise right at turn-in and before the tire rides up onto the larger shoulder blocks.

The PS4S had just barely become available when I bought the ECS, and I wish I had waited. But if you want to try the Conti, it comes in both C6 and C7 sizes.
I think that you are describing the same tendencies that I have heard that they tried to correct on the Continental DW/DWS A/S with the next generation of the DW being the DWS06 A/S. If that's what you bought they beefed up the sidewall a bit but it still is rated to be softer than the new PS3+? Michelin A/S tire.

But just so the OP is not confused the Continental Extreme Contact Sports you mention is their performance Summer tire, not the current version of the DW or DWS A/S, which is the DWS06 A/S now. There is a good comparison in the Video from The Tire Rack I posted previously of several of the top A/S tires. And it mentions the difference,, and that's probably why the Continental is rated maybe a little softer and quiet ride. Drivers choice in the end.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 02-13-2018 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:37 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
I think that you are describing the same tendencies that I have heard that they tried to correct on the Continental DW/DWS A/S with the next generation of the DW being the DWS06 A/S. If that's what you bought they beefed up the sidewall a bit but it still is rated to be softer than the new PS3+? Michelin A/S tire.

But just so the OP is not confused the Continental Extreme Contact Sports you mention is their performance Summer tire, not the current version of the DW or DWS A/S, which is the DWS06 A/S now. There is a good comparison in the Video from The Tire Rack I posted previously of several of the top A/S tires. And it mentions the difference,, and that's probably why the Continental is rated maybe a little softer and quiet ride. Drivers choice in the end.
The old ExtremeContact DWS evolved into the DWS06. The ExtremeContactDW, which was a summer tire, evolved into the ExtremeContact Sport.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/its-ex...contact-sport/

There was also an article that Continental put out several months back that described this same evolution.

In any event, the ECS is not that quiet of a tire, definitely not as quiet as the DW or DWS. It's not noticeably better than the PSS, and the PS4S is supposedly a bit quieter so its probably pretty comparable with the ECS.

Not a lot of reason, other than price, to chose the ECS over the PS4S, in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Blackfuriesfan Hawthorne
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,
It has been Sub 35 Degrees in Seattle lately.
I Commute from Seattle to East side.
My Federal 595 Super Steels are considered an all season tire and Leschsab carries them.
I have gone over snow and ice and haven't had issues just very carefully.
Love these tires.
Cheers all!
Stay safe
~Tim
I have a 1990 C4 M6.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Blackfuriesfan Hawthorne; 02-26-2018 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Car year and Model added

Quick Reply: Tires for C7 Z51 in Seattle