Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Tires for C7 Z51 in Seattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:16 PM
abhibrandy
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires for C7 Z51 in Seattle

Hi Guys,
I got my 2017 C7 Z51 a couple of months ago here in CA and I absolutely love it. I'm however moving to Seattle because I was offered a job there.
I was wondering what kind of tires I'll need there considering it rains a lot and there would be a lot of sub 40 degree days. It rarely snows and I don't plan to drive it on those days.

I do want to daily drive this car and a tire shop here told me that there are no tires for the C7 for that kind of whether. Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2018, 07:26 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

The best is to search Tire Rack for what you need. There are plenty of options. (17 different tires as of now) With the info you provided I am thinking Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, but others might have better idea. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Z51%20Package
These tires are noisy.

Again, in Seattle you prolly won't be driving most of the time.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:27 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I think the best you can do right now is the Michelin PS All Season 3+.

You can look at this initial discussion to start then do some research while waiting for more responses here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rican-int.html
Old 02-05-2018, 07:31 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Welcome

Originally Posted by abhibrandy
Hi Guys,
I got my 2017 C7 Z51 a couple of months ago here in CA and I absolutely love it. I'm however moving to Seattle because I was offered a job there.
I was wondering what kind of tires I'll need there considering it rains a lot and there would be a lot of sub 40 degree days. It rarely snows and I don't plan to drive it on those days.

I do want to daily drive this car and a tire shop here told me that there are no tires for the C7 for that kind of whether. Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks
There are some good all season tires from Michelin, Continental and others. I live about 40 minutes south of Seattle and she is my daily (for an easy nine mile flat route) driver. I have the stock Michelins.

If it is colder than 40 degrees my wife drives me to my school (teacher) as the stock tires on a newer Vette don't like the cold.
My son is an Amazonian code writer/software engineer and lives about ten minutes from the Amazon Campus; he likes the all weather versions of performance makes, like Michelin, Pirelli, etc. (he has an STi, and MR2 and a 240 SX with an LS drive train).
If you can afford buy some wheels with tires mounted...good luck
Old 02-05-2018, 07:31 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

One of the vendors here sells Vred's.

I had a set on my C5Z and they were great in rain & cold weather.Very grippy and are NOT run flats.Bear that in mind.

In Z51 sizes I think his price was $1k.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rdp-store.html

\db2

Last edited by dbaker; 02-05-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
Sure you will. Seattle is a mild maritime climate. It rarely gets below 40 degrees with an average (mean) temp of 64F. Yes, it rains an average of 37 inches a year, though the last two years have been closer to 50, but very rarely snows. Dallas gets more rain than that. Besides, the car won't melt.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 PM
rramjet
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I’m still using the tires that came on my 2015 Z51. But we get out of Dodge in the Winter so no real experience with them in cold. Have driven them in rain however and the biggest problem I had is all the rooster tails from everything on the road taller than me which is about everything on the road.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Default This

Originally Posted by RicK T

You can look at this initial discussion to start then do some research while waiting for more responses here:

this is what I have on my Z51 and I drive it in all weather around here, never a problem. As noted none runflat. Saved the stock on another set of wheels for autocross.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:21 AM
abhibrandy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
The best is to search Tire Rack for what you need. There are plenty of options. (17 different tires as of now) With the info you provided I am thinking Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, but others might have better idea. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Z51%20Package
These tires are noisy.

Thanks Bimmer. Have heard abou Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Will check these out and thanks for the link!!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:22 AM
abhibrandy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RicK T

Thanks Rick. This is super helpful.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 AM
abhibrandy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
There are some good all season tires from Michelin, Continental and others. I live about 40 minutes south of Seattle and she is my daily (for an easy nine mile flat route) driver. I have the stock Michelins.

If it is colder than 40 degrees my wife drives me to my school (teacher) as the stock tires on a newer Vette don't like the cold.
My son is an Amazonian code writer/software engineer and lives about ten minutes from the Amazon Campus; he likes the all weather versions of performance makes, like Michelin, Pirelli, etc. (he has an STi, and MR2 and a 240 SX with an LS drive train).
If you can afford buy some wheels with tires mounted...good luck
Thanks a lot. Your son has some cool cars!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 AM
abhibrandy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dbaker
One of the vendors here sells Vred's.

I had a set on my C5Z and they were great in rain & cold weather.Very grippy and are NOT run flats.Bear that in mind.

In Z51 sizes I think his price was $1k.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rdp-store.html

\db2
Cool information. Never heard of Vreds, but looks like they have great reviews. Glad to see that there are options.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:30 AM
abhibrandy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Sure you will. Seattle is a mild maritime climate. It rarely gets below 40 degrees with an average (mean) temp of 64F. Yes, it rains an average of 37 inches a year, though the last two years have been closer to 50, but very rarely snows. Dallas gets more rain than that. Besides, the car won't melt.
Have heard horror stories about vets misbehaving in the rain and cold. I'm super glad that this is not the case in Seattle!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:33 AM
abhibrandy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by rramjet
I’m still using the tires that came on my 2015 Z51. But we get out of Dodge in the Winter so no real experience with them in cold. Have driven them in rain however and the biggest problem I had is all the rooster tails from everything on the road taller than me which is about everything on the road.
Wow your Michelin Pilot super sports have lasted 3 years! Thats great!
Think that will be a problem with all tiny sports cars
Old 02-06-2018, 12:36 AM
abhibrandy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Ammo

this is what I have on my Z51 and I drive it in all weather around here, never a problem. As noted none runflat. Saved the stock on another set of wheels for autocross.
This seems like a good option. I hate the run flats on my BMW and want to stay clear of them. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:19 AM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the A/S 3s on my Audi S5. If you want an all season performance tire, this one is a great one. I know some of the guys that run their Vettes in the winter love these tires. My 14 on the other hand hibernates most off the time so I have the stock tires on it.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:58 AM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Continental DW

I use Continental DW (Dry Wet) tires on my C5Z06. The idea was to have a tire I could use for daily use as well as a rain tire for track days. The new ones are the Continental DWS (Dry Wet Snow). Overall I am happy with the Continental DW tires and at the time I got them they were much less money than the Michelin PS2 tires I had been using for daily driving. The thing is just like any tire they do not override the laws of physics and I have had some issues in the rain at the track. For normal street use try not to drive in the rain but when I have been caught in the rain in my vette the DW tires have worked well.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06

Get notified of new replies

To Tires for C7 Z51 in Seattle

Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 AM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_k
I use Continental DW (Dry Wet) tires on my C5Z06. The idea was to have a tire I could use for daily use as well as a rain tire for track days. The new ones are the Continental DWS (Dry Wet Snow). Overall I am happy with the Continental DW tires and at the time I got them they were much less money than the Michelin PS2 tires I had been using for daily driving. The thing is just like any tire they do not override the laws of physics and I have had some issues in the rain at the track. For normal street use try not to drive in the rain but when I have been caught in the rain in my vette the DW tires have worked well.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06
How about road noise? Are they quiet? Going to start looking to replace my Michelin tires in the fall.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Kevin_k
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Road Noise

Originally Posted by kenthomas4
How about road noise? Are they quiet? Going to start looking to replace my Michelin tires in the fall.
I have no complaints about road noise from the tires. However, as my kids often remind me my hearing is not all that good.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:34 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 323 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I bought the Continental Ultra high performance A/S DWS06 for my C6. As you will see in the video below they have rated all four tires and it depends a little on what you want in a tire. I got the Continental because of price, comfort(softer ride on decent roads and otherwise) and less noise which was what I was looking for. They were also rated above the other three in tread wear although their guarantee was limited because the tires cannot be rotated as most tires. I see they added Bridgestone to the recent test. Any of those tested will take the slap out of concrete roads much better than the Rf's and give you a better ride including noise in my opinion. Also in the cooler weather they will be less harsh than the Rf's.

Best thing I would say is there is Rain and then there is downpour and Seattle will quite often get downpour and that's when you have to drive reasonable speed on any tire to maintain grip and not hydroplane with the bigger tires more easily.. Good luck.

I also used Discount Tire for the service I have had and they will match prices I would imagine.

Click on "Test Results Video" then on the video on the page and you can also see the other headings for written results. Vette tires usually being larger sizes might not give the exact same results as the tires tested but it should be a fairly good impression of the tires. The vette usually hibernates here in Eastern Wash. from about end of November to late April and then there is a lot of gravel or crap on the roads for awhile after that.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230

Last edited by NOWUCME; 02-09-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Tires for C7 Z51 in Seattle