Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

No front plate tickets

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Taevon lee
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts
Default No front plate tickets

Hello I live here in Oregon. First time owner of a 2018 stingray. Don’t want a front license plate. Is the man in blue touchy about this, or does he look the other way? Thanx!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:15 PM
2000 Vette Guy
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't know about Oregon but Washington can and will ticket for it. I have first hand knowledge. Got one about 15 years ago in a '96 that I received from a county sheriff. He had nothing else better to do so he pulled me over..........cost $100. I haven't had a front plate on my C6 or7 for the last 11 years without any problems. Knock on wood.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Taevon lee
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts
Default plates

Thanx 2000 Vette guy, that helps.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Usually not a problem on freeways or larger towns with lots of traffic. It's the smaller country towns where things are slow and the cops aren't too busy where it's easier to get pulled over.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:36 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by 2000 Vette Guy
I don't know about Oregon but Washington can and will ticket for it. I have first hand knowledge. Got one about 15 years ago in a '96 that I received from a county sheriff. He had nothing else better to do so he pulled me over..........cost $100. I haven't had a front plate on my C6 or7 for the last 11 years without any problems. Knock on wood.
I had the same experience.

Got pulled over in a residential area where the cop was sitting there waiting for someone to roll through a stop sign. While I did the proper stop and all, he spotted my no-license-plate C5 and pulled me over. For a few months after that I used one, but after a while took it off and went back to that filler-plate the C5's used.

Never used one with either my C6 or currently my C7 and haven't been bothered for 12 or 13 years. And I've rolled by any number of LEO's in the process.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:29 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

I don't run a front plate and haven't had any trouble in the Seattle area. Took a road trip to my nieces graduation in Pullman and was worried about Vantage but no trouble there. Can't stand the look of a front plate on this car.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:51 PM
stevezZ06
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't know if it's just a fix it ticket this day in age or not. When I was a teenager I had no plate on front was pulled over and cited. Back then it was easy just wrote a badge number and quick signature and mailed it in. Worked all the time for us when we got tickets but again it was just a fix it ticket without fines involved.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:42 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sometime a stop for no front plate can be used as a reason to check other things. An LEO can run your driver's info, look for outstanding warrants, and just talk to you to see if they can find anything else that could be reason for detaining you or even an arrest.

I have front plates on my vehicles just so I can avoid any of that. Avoid the hassle and the fine of $136.00 for no front plate.

There are some limited exceptions to not mounting a front plate. If the vehicle design makes it difficult to properly mount a front plate, an owner can file for an exemption. But if the manufacturer or dealer provides a mounting bracket for a plate or provides some method to mount a plate, the exemption will be denied by the Washington State Patrol. Read here.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:52 PM
stevezZ06
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Very good information after reading all of it
Old 04-09-2018, 06:57 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

I'd been without a front plate on several cars (Camaros & Corvettes) for about 20 years in Washington and never cited. When I went to work in Tacoma, the meter readers will ticket you every time for no front plate - it was about an $86 ticket so I got a show-n-go front plate - stows out of sight or pops up when needed - on my C6. Now with my C7, I'm back to no plate since I have off-street parking in Tacoma.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:06 PM
2000 Vette Guy
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
I'd been without a front plate on several cars (Camaros & Corvettes) for about 20 years in Washington and never cited. When I went to work in Tacoma, the meter readers will ticket you every time for no front plate - it was about an $86 ticket so I got a show-n-go front plate - stows out of sight or pops up when needed - on my C6. Now with my C7, I'm back to no plate since I have off-street parking in Tacoma.
I have heard that Wenatchee is the same way.
The following users liked this post:
HeyDanNiceShot (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM
monoloco
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default got mine!

Originally Posted by Taevon lee
Hello I live here in Oregon. First time owner of a 2018 stingray. Don’t want a front license plate. Is the man in blue touchy about this, or does he look the other way? Thanx!
I found an $80 ticket on my car for no front plate that I got while (legally) parked in downtown Portland. Seems kind of chicken S. to me, but I have since mounted a removable front plate bracket on my C6.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:44 PM
spllbnd2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been pulled over even before owning a Corvette or Camaro for not having a front plate in Washington. I for one don't chance it because that allow them to pull you over and look for other things to give tickets for. I run safe these days and leave the front plate on the C5.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:55 PM
HeyDanNiceShot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I haven't run one on any of my cars in the last 15 years or so. Get the LEM plates if you have an option for that kind of thing in Oregon.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:53 AM
yellowvette1992
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no front plate on my C6. I have had it for 2 years and it is a DD. I have had no issues. My understanding is in Oregon they can not sop you just for that, but if they stop you for something else they will ticket you for it. The exception as noted is meter maids will ticket you for no front plate.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:26 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Another reason for WA requiring a front plate is that the plate has a metallic (reflective) paint background. That paint easily reflects radar waves from police radar guns and most likely from laser guns.

The Washington State Patrol heavily lobbies against any attempt by the state legislature to go to a single rear plate. It turns out that the reflective material is made by the 3M Corporation and they are the only source used in WA for that material. It's also known that the 3M Company is a heavy contributor to various LEO associations in WA including the WSP.....
Old 04-13-2018, 01:25 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The Washington State Patrol heavily lobbies against any attempt by the state legislature to go to a single rear plate.
It would be interesting to know how much we taxpayers would save if license plate production were cut in half by eliminating the front plate. If they are still made in the state prisons perhaps the savings would not amount to much.

Get notified of new replies

To No front plate tickets

Old 04-13-2018, 01:32 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I'm in Portland and haven't run a front plate on my vehicles in over 15 years. I did get 2 tickets for it in my 02 Saleen a long time ago. However we don't have one on any of our 3 vehicles now and haven't had an issue.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:48 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
It would be interesting to know how much we taxpayers would save if license plate production were cut in half by eliminating the front plate. If they are still made in the state prisons perhaps the savings would not amount to much.
We as the vehicle registered owners pay for the plate cost in the registration fees. And it was the Legislature that passed a bill (and signed by the Governor) that required plate replacement every few years. That was a WSP-backed bill so that the front plate could be bright and easily seen by radar guns. So a single plate may reduce the cost to the registered owner, but the state still gets their money. They could even raise the price of a single plate to cover any reduction of manufacturing just a single plate.

The prison in Walla Walla manufactures all of the WA plates including the specialty plates. There's something like 30 inmates that do all of the work and they turn out an average of 7000 sets per day. Going to a single plate could result in a lower number of inmate workers. But they still need to make plates.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:04 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Interesting topic. Been ticketed for no front plate in a 72 Malibu. We were in a small WA town called Ritzville. My current Vette was purchased with one collector plate. Is the collector plate an exemption to this. Or do they come in pairs, and I am missing the front?

Ray

Quick Reply: No front plate tickets