Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Local tuning shop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 12:45 AM
etazbaz
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Local tuning shop?

Hello Everyone.

I have an 08 Z06 with the ahp heads and a corsa exhaust that is my daily driver. I had the car baselined and it produced 424 rwtq and 440 rwhp. I am looking to install either a halltech mf103 or callaway honker plus kooks headers. I am looking for more power and sound but also want to tune the car to optimize the performance. Any recommendations for a shop, preferably on the east side? what kind of numbers can i expect from the above setup? i'll think about a baby cam if the above still isn't enough.

thanks!
e
Old 04-20-2018, 07:32 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Hello fellow east side C6Z owner! Tommy Wong in Vancouver, WA has a great reputation for tuning LSx motors. Regarding installs, Corvettes of Auburn or Brad's Custom Auto can help you out. Corvettes of Auburn also claims to know a really good tuner, but idk much about him.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:56 AM
JRE-C6
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Corvettes of Auburn has a great tuner by the name of Josh Ross. Stay away from Carb Connection in Kirkland for any dyno tuning services.

Last edited by JRE-C6; 04-26-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added words
Old 04-23-2018, 05:39 AM
spllbnd2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JRE-C6
Corvettes of Auburn has a great tuner by the name of Josh Ross. Stay away from Carb Connection in Kirkland for any tuning services.
Is there a specific reason you say to stay away from Carb Connection? I use to work in Kirkland at a dealership and though that they were the go to place for high performance tunes.

Does Corvettes of Auburn have any dyno service?

Cheers,
Alex
Old 04-23-2018, 10:12 AM
JRE-C6
Burning Brakes

Yes, I had a superchager installed there on a 14k mi garage queen C6, and the engine exploded in less than 1k miles of use. Car was not abused or beat on, getting on the freeway rolled into the throttle, shifted to 3rd and it went bang. The boost was around 5 psi. Come to find out the tune had way too much initial timing, and it was a very very expensive repair...Here are some pictures of the carnage. BTW, I purchased a 402 stroker motor from Thompson Motorsports of Texas, and couldn't be happier
Attached Images    
Old 04-23-2018, 10:15 AM
JRE-C6
Burning Brakes

Corvette's of Auburn has a Dynojet dyno, and a tuner who really knows what he's doing.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:12 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by JRE-C6
Corvette's of Auburn has a Dynojet dyno, and a tuner who really knows what he's doing.
I called Corvettes of Auburn and the guy was trying to fleece me over the phone on LT headers install. He quoted 6-8 hours citing the header bolts being difficult to remove. i swapped the heads out myself and had to remove the header bolts so I know that is BS. Amateurs with a floor jack and jack stands do the swap in under 4 hours in their garage. When I told him the bolts were cake he tried to backpedal but knew he was caught in a lie...
Old 04-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Josh@CoA
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by etazbaz
I called Corvettes of Auburn and the guy was trying to fleece me over the phone on LT headers install. He quoted 6-8 hours citing the header bolts being difficult to remove. i swapped the heads out myself and had to remove the header bolts so I know that is BS. Amateurs with a floor jack and jack stands do the swap in under 4 hours in their garage. When I told him the bolts were cake he tried to backpedal but knew he was caught in a lie...
I really wish it only took 4 hours, You spoke with Dan on the phone and he was speaking of the lower 4 bolts that are normally rusted/stuck. Removing the original manifolds is a cake walk, installing the new headers can be comical. Routing all wiring and brakes lines out of the way of the headers is key... We fix several wiring harness's a year from people "installing headers in 4 hours" ... We are not out here to try and rob anyone of their hard earned money, and its a shame you think we are. No one here "back peddled" during the conversation. You said you had the manifolds bolts off... did you remove the manifolds? or just the bolts from the heads and move the manifolds out of the way? You would know the drivers manifold doesn't just come right out, it hits the steering shaft. The time consuming part is truly fitting the headers and moving wiring harness's and brake lines. We wont do it half ***, and we wont do it for 4 hours. We warranty our work and stand behind it always. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding, but I guess it is what it is..

Josh Ross @ Corvettes of Auburn
PCM Calibration and Performance
The following users liked this post:
JRE-C6 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Josh@CoA
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SivaSuryaKshatriya
Hello fellow east side C6Z owner! Tommy Wong in Vancouver, WA has a great reputation for tuning LSx motors. Regarding installs, Corvettes of Auburn or Brad's Custom Auto can help you out. Corvettes of Auburn also claims to know a really good tuner, but idk much about him.
That would be me. If any of you ever have any questions feel free to call the shop and we can chat. 2539393796

Old 04-25-2018, 03:14 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@CoA
I really wish it only took 4 hours, You spoke with Dan on the phone and he was speaking of the lower 4 bolts that are normally rusted/stuck. Removing the original manifolds is a cake walk, installing the new headers can be comical. Routing all wiring and brakes lines out of the way of the headers is key... We fix several wiring harness's a year from people "installing headers in 4 hours" ... We are not out here to try and rob anyone of their hard earned money, and its a shame you think we are. No one here "back peddled" during the conversation. You said you had the manifolds bolts off... did you remove the manifolds? or just the bolts from the heads and move the manifolds out of the way? You would know the drivers manifold doesn't just come right out, it hits the steering shaft. The time consuming part is truly fitting the headers and moving wiring harness's and brake lines. We wont do it half ***, and we wont do it for 4 hours. We warranty our work and stand behind it always. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding, but I guess it is what it is..

Thanks for the honesty. I can tell you this makes perfect sense. I had headers installed on my previous mustang for a fair price. However a couple years later the header burned a hole into an AC line. It obviously wasn't rerouted like it should have been. Nothing like doing a job right the first time even if it takes a bit more time and money.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:31 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by Josh@CoA

It's not easy responding to criticism especially when it involves your business. I appreciate your considered response. I will go ahead with the DIY install and report back on this thread on how much time it actually takes me. I am a measure twice, cut once kind of guy so it might take me even longer, who knows? Also appreciate the pro tips on relocating the brakes lines, etc.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:31 PM
JRE-C6
Burning Brakes

The first time I did a header install on my C6, it took two nights to do it, using a hoist start to finish, being careful to route 02 sensor wires, etc...I don't think it is possible to do it in four hours, except for maybe a hack job from a ham fisted person. And remember you also have to line up the X-pipe and align the mufflers as well, which takes time.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:37 AM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Headers

Heat protection for brake lines, O2 wires, starter, and plug boots a good idea too. Any place the heat rises. Engine lifting or not will depend on the header brand. Tom Wongs or Brads for build and tune work. Enjoy.

Last edited by nolimits; 04-26-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:31 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I just installed ARH Headers on my 2012 Grand Sport.......for the first time (ever)

I have a two post lift and at this point in MY LIFE I wouldnt want to
do this on JackStands.
I'm slow and do excellent work and didnt watch the clock.....

Disconnected the wiring and removed Starter (under 1/2 hour)
Used SUMMIT Brand of Velcro closure Fire Sleeve AND SUMMIT
Heat Tape to Cover and Wrap Every Wire & Line that Is Obvious.

Cut Inside Frame LIP on Right Side where Header WILL Hit.....

Make Sure You start very Front and REAR Header Bolts first (with OE gasket)
Then start others.
Leave Headers a "little" Loose while making up X pipe Connection

I ran Downstream Oxy Sensor Wires on top of Aluminum Tunnel Plate
but NOW may eliminate them as per my tuners advice

Contact ME for my suggestions

Chuck in Auburn

Get notified of new replies

To Local tuning shop?

Quick Reply: Local tuning shop?