Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Moving to Kona Hawaii. Should I take my C5 vert

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 PM
generacer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moving to Kona Hawaii. Should I take my C5 vert

My work has me moving to Hawaii Kona airport and I am not sure if I should take my 2002 convertible to the big Island or get a 4x4? Advice please help this Haole.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:25 PM
mrgil
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

There are no good roads to drive the Vette waste of a great car. The salt air really ruins the paint. Please get a 4X4. We’ve been there 27 times since 1987 and seeing corvettes there makes me cry.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:10 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

You’ll be able to go a lot more places with a 4x4.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:20 AM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
You’ll be able to go a lot more places with a 4x4.
Especially after the lava cools.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:03 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

There are plenty of good roads there. The salt air is no worse than living on Puget Sound. Kona is a beautiful place and usually has good weather. It's the opposite of Washington where the Cascades stop the weather and the clouds dump their rain on Seattle leaving Eastern Washington a lot drier. On Hawaii the weather gets stopped in the opposite direction and dumps the rain on Hilo leaving Kona more like Eastern Washington. If brush stomping is your thing of course get a 4x4, but it is not necessary.

Last edited by mschuyler; 05-31-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:46 PM
koranke
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 61 Posts

I think it depends on your driving style. If you like cruising at the speed limit with the top down along scenic routes, by all means take it. If you like more aggressive driving along twisty mountain roads and get bored running the same route, don't take it.

I lived on the Big Island for seven years. There's primarily the belt road that circles the island. It can be boring in spots. Heading north out of Kona, there's the high road as an alternative that is more scenic and twisty. There's also the saddle road the cuts across the middle of the island. It's very twisty but road conditions aren't as good and it's considered dangerous due to all the accidents (rental cars are not allowed). There are a few other roads, one heading to "South Point" from the south part of the belt road and another that heads to the north section. Both are scenic drives.

I think the main thing is whether you get bored easily or not. There are some beautiful roads with nice curves and elevation changes and scenery, but you'll quickly experience them all and then it's repeat and repeat.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:43 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We lived on Maui for 10yrs,never lived on the Big Island, but wish we had had a Vette when we were there. Most of the roads are "Vette roads" You will love Hawaii. I love where we live now,but would go back to in a minute!!
Old 06-05-2018, 04:04 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

I sure wouldn't think twice about taking mine if I was in your shoes! Just do it!
Old 06-05-2018, 04:19 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by koranke
I think it depends on your driving style. If you like cruising at the speed limit with the top down along scenic routes, by all means take it. If you like more aggressive driving along twisty mountain roads and get bored running the same route, don't take it.

I lived on the Big Island for seven years. There's primarily the belt road that circles the island. It can be boring in spots. Heading north out of Kona, there's the high road as an alternative that is more scenic and twisty. There's also the saddle road the cuts across the middle of the island. It's very twisty but road conditions aren't as good and it's considered dangerous due to all the accidents (rental cars are not allowed). There are a few other roads, one heading to "South Point" from the south part of the belt road and another that heads to the north section. Both are scenic drives.

I think the main thing is whether you get bored easily or not. There are some beautiful roads with nice curves and elevation changes and scenery, but you'll quickly experience them all and then it's repeat and repeat.
That's how it is here on Friday Harbor, WA only worse with the lousy roads and 45 mph max speed limit. The 1-1/2 hr ferry rides to the mainland do not come near often enough!

Last edited by TomdaToolman; 06-05-2018 at 04:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to Kona Hawaii. Should I take my C5 vert

Quick Reply: Moving to Kona Hawaii. Should I take my C5 vert