Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Washington Carbon Tax I 1631

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 10:39 AM
jasper711
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Washington Carbon Tax I 1631

Hello Pacific Northwesters,

I've spent the last 37 years working in the energy business so am watching Initiative 1631 with interest, especially the claims of those who support this new tax. You can come to your own conclusions about global warming (or we can debate endlessly in PRandC, personally I feel there is a very low percentage probability this could be man made, maybe less than 1% odds),

The supporters of this initiative have been creative in gathering misleading support and endorsements from agencies such as American Lung Association, Doctor and Nurse organizations. Nowhere in this bill is anything reserved for pollutants that affect human health, it is simply a Carbon Tax. Carbon is naturally occurring, the basis of life, and CO2 is a plant fertilizer.

I've worked for major industry, petroleum business, and also for the alternative energy investors, including large projects mandated in California by green initiatives put before the voters there. Seeing how these programs play out is quite a bit different from the naive expectations of folks voting for them.

From my perspective Initiative 1631 will turn out to be a 14 cent per gallon gas tax that climbs to over 55 cents per gallon; with the funds distributed to the seven major wind farm operators that own the american market.

Just a heads up.

Regards.

The following 3 users liked this post by jasper711:
2000 Vette Guy (10-26-2018), KCSODogboy (10-30-2018), NofakeJake (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You are 100% correct and I agree with you! Thanks.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Agree as well. Typical Seattle bait and switch politics. They tried this a few years back, and the initiative failed. Worried that the sheep might actually go for it this time. They are spending a ton of money to mislead the voters.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:48 PM
2000 Vette Guy
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

When will the government get the idea that we are taxed enough? Are the people that represent us, that stupid?
Old 10-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,139 Likes on 1,936 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've been living here for over 40 years now. The state is for all intents and purposes destroyed. I call it my own little **** hole country.

This state has gone full moon bat Commiefornia.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:59 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Several questions I ask of Warmers, when I want to elicit "deer in the headlights" time

1) What is the normal temperature for Earth?

2) Where is the demonstration of a causal relationship between atmospheric CO2 levels and planetary temperature?

3) How does taxing me lower the level of atmospheric CO2?
Old 10-29-2018, 04:51 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Several questions I ask of Warmers, when I want to elicit "deer in the headlights" time

1) What is the normal temperature for Earth?

2) Where is the demonstration of a causal relationship between atmospheric CO2 levels and planetary temperature?

3) How does taxing me lower the level of atmospheric CO2?
Old 10-30-2018, 04:49 AM
Dilldog
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly when I look at things like this I see two big things. First the biggest polluters are exempt, because the bill writers dont want to upset the economy (I read, Boeing and Kaiser bought them off).
Secondly it is a fact that fuel prices will go up (the companies that produce fuel wont just take a hit, lets be honest here). I am very sensitive to increase in fuel prices. When my wife and I were just starting out I was in college and she was an in home health aid. Honestly if her fuel costs went up even 4 or 5 bucks a week there would be nights when we wouldnt have eaten. Now though it wouldnt matter much to us, but since I lived it I am very aware that there are hard working people just scraping by in jobs that require them to drive, and sometimes the millage allowance from the company doesnt cover it (it didnt for my wife at 18-22 mpg). Those two reasons are why I wont support it.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:11 AM
zet06
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats it was defeated. Never let it get going. Legislators are so influenced by the never ending GREEN brigade.
We in BC have had a carbon tax for 15 years however the right of center govt made an adjustment to our income tax so it was close to equal. Now we have a leftist government. they never stop adding another tax and have again increased the carbon tax. Then our prime minister decide that all of Canada needed a carbon tax.He has threatened the provinces that if they don't implement it he will cut back on their transfer payments for health care.
Like I said Never ever let oit get a foothold because there is no limit to how much they will charge. Its just another cash cow.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:37 AM
jasper711
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilldog
Honestly when I look at things like this I see two big things. First the biggest polluters are exempt, because the bill writers dont want to upset the economy (I read, Boeing and Kaiser bought them off).
Secondly it is a fact that fuel prices will go up (the companies that produce fuel wont just take a hit, lets be honest here). I am very sensitive to increase in fuel prices. When my wife and I were just starting out I was in college and she was an in home health aid. Honestly if her fuel costs went up even 4 or 5 bucks a week there would be nights when we wouldnt have eaten. Now though it wouldnt matter much to us, but since I lived it I am very aware that there are hard working people just scraping by in jobs that require them to drive, and sometimes the millage allowance from the company doesnt cover it (it didnt for my wife at 18-22 mpg). Those two reasons are why I wont support it.
1) I am happy it did not pass, and remain disappointed it was on the ballet. Thanks to all who voted against this.

2) My own situation parallels yours. We had a period a few years back with four kids in college, could not even write off their tuition, and despite having our own successful business, things were TIGHT. There simply was no slack in our budget. Prior to that i was employed by a local shop that paid about 2/3 of national scale, during that time even small property tax increases wiped out any hope of saving. That is the reality for many folks that are resented for appearing 'successful'. My wife was a great partner, and had every fast food dollar menu memorized. We survived those years, had a great time, but if Obama care had been deployed at that time, one or two kids would have had to sit out several semesters while their social assistance friends could attend.

Get notified of new replies

To Washington Carbon Tax I 1631

Quick Reply: Washington Carbon Tax I 1631