Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What vert owners have repainted their tonneau cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:47 PM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Default What vert owners have repainted their tonneau cover?

Before I bought my car, the tonneau cover paint was worn through because of the top seal issue everyone knows about, anyone fixed their own? It doesn't seem like it would be hard to mask off the tonneau cover, prep and paint it although I haven't done anything like that myself. Interested to know if anyone else has attempted that.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by frodo84
Before I bought my car, the tonneau cover paint was worn through because of the top seal issue everyone knows about, anyone fixed their own? It doesn't seem like it would be hard to mask off the tonneau cover, prep and paint it although I haven't done anything like that myself. Interested to know if anyone else has attempted that.
I guess by tonneau cover, you must mean the fiberglass hatch that covers the top compartment.

IMO, since you have not painted before, you should take the car to a reputable shop and have the job done.
Unless you intend to do more painting in the future, the cost of the proper equipment and paint would cost you way more than having the job professionally done. Also, the paints you should use on this will contain isocyanates so there is a big safety issue that you would need to learn about. And also, since your 99 vert is silver, it is not one of the easier colors for your first attempt at painting.

But to answer your question, yes it can be masked off to do the job or it could be removed.

If you are still determined to do it yourself there is a good FAQ on the C1/C2 forum for painting. Also there is an excellent knowledge base on the Hotrodders.com forum:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotr...ior-74801.html

Roger
Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 AM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks very much for your reply, I will check out the C1/C2 forum and try to learn something whether I do it myself or not.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 AM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never done it myself, but I have had it done. typically they remove the cover....on the C2 it is pretty easy to do....plus if you don't have experiece and the tools to paint it would probably not be worth it to do yourself.....and then there is the paint matching issue.....the match has to be good or it will look odd. I guess if you wanted to try it yourself that would maybe be the best part to practice on...it comes off easy goes on easy, and if you really mess up you really aren't any worse off except for your time and supplies, you can just take it to a pro and get it painted. On the other hand if you do a nice job you can be proud of it and you will have learned a thing or two and be ready for that full body resotoration in the future...

good luck.....

P.S. if this is on a C2 and you opt to sand be very careful sanding around the ridge in the center....I think mine got knocked down a bit and doesn't seem quite right compared to the matching ridge on the rear deck.

Get notified of new replies

To What vert owners have repainted their tonneau cover?

Quick Reply: What vert owners have repainted their tonneau cover?