Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Questions on sandpaper what to use??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:15 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Questions on sandpaper what to use??

Whats my best bet on sand paper for my 90 ZR1?
also what type of course 3m is the best but hook it, stick it? lots of options I have my DA sander so I can use that im just not sure whats my best source.

I have clear coat failure on the mirrors(metal) and the rear quarters (SCM) But im going to shoot the entire car so I need to sand it all the SMC the metal parts and the rubber bumpers thats what im really not sure about!

Problem is I have the car all torn down and im ready to get going I just dont know where to start well I have a idea but just looking for a bit more on ideas.

With the clear failure Ive been told a few didfferent ways of handling it just want some from you guys and what do I sand the rest of the car down with and do I just rough it up or do I take it all the way down to the factory black primer so I dont have uneven paint build up.

Check out the pictures and let me know

I have some advice on the following it sounds good just looking for more words of wisdom I know everything this guy tells me is true im just wondering if I should strip it down to the glass or just scuff it with the 120 then seal it?

I usually strip the clear with 80 grit, and then remove the base with 120 grit.
The reason for the failure is the clear was not thick enough and as such didn't have enough UV protection. This causes the base ( black in this instance) to oxidize which lets the clear coat delaminate. You can get buy with just removing the clear coat. I would use 120 grit for this, however I would put at least 2 coats of a good 2K urethane primer on it and block to make sure it was straight, especially since it's black. Finish this off with 400-500 wet and you'll be ready for base.

What it used to look like

Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 AM
BondoKing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were mine, I would sand the whole thing with 180 grit, then seal it with 2 coats of epoxy. let it set overnight before doing anything else ( read epoxy is slow and cant be rushed) then spray my 2k ( urethane primer) and block it out.. Seal with a reduced coat of epoxy, and then base and clear..

You must remove all of the clear that is failing.. not just some of it.. For whatever reason its not sticking, you dont want your fresh paint laying on top of that mess..

Epoxy is perfect for SMC, metal, fiberglass, gelcoat etc.., you name it..best stuff we use in auto refinish.. it sticks to panels and paint sticks to it
Old 03-05-2007, 04:45 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When mine was like that I had to sand all the clear coat off and start over.The part I had the worst time with was where the convert top goes under.I could not get the paint to keep from fish eyeing.
I finally took it down to the black primer jelcoat and started over.
I wet sanded the clear coat off the mirrors and just used a good primer with filler .

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on sandpaper what to use??

Quick Reply: Questions on sandpaper what to use??