Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Best Way to Paint Door Jams - 1981

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:27 AM
k_belknap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best Way to Paint Door Jams - 1981

I have asked the question before of 'How to Remove Doors'. This seems to bring back a lot of different answers... none of them sound very pleasant. So, I thought I would post WHY I want to remove the doors. I am changing exterior color from beige to black, and am needing to paint the door jams. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I can't imagine being able to do this 'cleanly' with the doors on.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

If you're doing it your self, take the doors off. On the other hand, I just had mine painted, and the shop was adament that they could cover everything without R&R'ing the doors. I cannot find any area that didn't get painted. Before painting is a good time to remove the doors and look at/fix the hinges.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Most 81's had power windows and locks, thats the rub. Pull the kick panels and under there at the top behind the dash, you will find where the door wire harness's connect to the main harness. Unplug and mark the wires. Then remove all but one bolt in the top and bottom hinges on the frame side, leave the door side intact. Get a helper and have them hold the door and remove the last bottom bolt, them have them REALLY hold the door and pull the top bolt, the door is not all that heavy, but its bulky. Keep the door spacers together for the top and bottom and put them back in the same location. Same deal on the other side.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:20 PM
blue6t7
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with sixfooter in that to get the best job (especially when changing color) is to remove the doors. However, I dis agree on how to remove them. I find it much easier to remove the 8 bolts holding the door to the hinges. I've been removing them this way for 30 years, by myself.

Dan
Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

That will work too, probably makes more sence, seems like that would eliminate the need for adjustments.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:48 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I call 'em armpits.

If you want armpits that look like this you must remove the doors. Then you can properly clean and repaint the hinges and replace the springs while you're in there. This is done with Rustoleum spray paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Way to Paint Door Jams - 1981

Quick Reply: Best Way to Paint Door Jams - 1981