Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Urethane Acrylic Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:55 AM
Happydad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urethane Acrylic Paint

Howdy All...I thinking of useing Urethane Acrylic Paint to do a compleat job on my 86...I have done base coat clear coat B-4 but never used this type of paint..Ive read it might have to be baked or heated to cure properly..Is there some thing else I should use besides this paint..Looking for the durabality of the Urethane but don't was to mess around with heat lamps and such
Old 03-17-2007, 06:55 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Happydad
Howdy All...I thinking of useing Urethane Acrylic Paint to do a compleat job on my 86...I have done base coat clear coat B-4 but never used this type of paint..Ive read it might have to be baked or heated to cure properly..Is there some thing else I should use besides this paint..Looking for the durabality of the Urethane but don't was to mess around with heat lamps and such
You can get a single stage acrylic urethane (not clear coated) or in a BC/CC system the clear can be an acrylic urethane.
Neither system requires extra heat to cure. Heat only speeds up the curing process and is only a concern in a professional shop where speed is an issue. The final product is exactly the same when totally cured.
All the acrylic urethanes use a hardener and contain isocyanates. So, take the appropriate safety precautions while using it.

It sounds like you are thinking about going with single stage acrylic urethane. I would say it is a little harder to spray to get it to lay down flat without orange peel. So, if you don't like orange peel, you can color sand it and buff it out. However, I would spray on an extra coat or 2 to account for the paint you will remove during this process. However, allow plenty of time between coats so you don't get trapped solvents. Also keep in mind that you should not color sand and buff a metallic single stage paint. Only a solid color. If you are painting a metallic color, go with BC/CC.
Take a look at my '69 in my photo album. It's PPG Global Single Stage Urethane that has been sanded an buffed.

Roger

Last edited by roger55; 03-17-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Happydad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up...BC/CC it is....

Get notified of new replies

To Urethane Acrylic Paint

Quick Reply: Urethane Acrylic Paint