Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Compatable base coat for SPI epoxy primer

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Desertvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Compatable base coat for SPI epoxy primer

I'm planning on painting a 67 corvette myself. The original plan was to gelcoat, 2k primer, epoxy sealer and a factory colored ( Marlboro Maroon) base coat clear coat using PPG's product line except for the gelcoat.
Well , I've really been looking for an excuse to get out of spraying gelcoat and it looks like SPI epoxy is just what the doctor ordered. So considering what I've read by many experts, that one should stick to one product line, has anyone had experience in mixing SPI epoxy and clear coats with other base colors in factory colors from Dupont, PPG ,Silken etc.
I believe Pourchdog stated that he used PPG urethane s/s. Would that be PPG Concept ( DCC )? Are there any other basecoats that come in factory colors that are compatable with SPI's product line of primers and clears? Thanks
Bob
Old 09-19-2007, 07:23 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

spi will work with any base. i prefer dcc for color. i use only epoxy for surfacing but i do all repairs first. i do not rely on high build primers to hide things. i fix them. on the 57 " spi vette " as we like to call it, i used 6 coats of epoxy. blocking each one. 3 coats of dcc, blocked with 320/600,2 coats dcc ,3 coats spi uv clear blocked with 320/600, 3 coats of spi uv clear. i let the car set from dec to march before cut and buff. there was 0 shrinkage or die back and it buffed easily. cure time between coats is the most important part of painting. each coat of epoxy cure 48 hrs, color coats 30 to 45 min,same with clear. after blocking the clear it sat outside all day and then inside for 2 before final clear. good luck with it, let me know if i can help. visit the spi users forum site. theres a ton of knowledge there. you can see the 57 restomod project at streetrodding.com/search "shine" / 57restomod.

http://spi.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=spi
Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Desertvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default porchdog reply

Thanks for your reply, I'll check out those forums for more info. Two more questions for the time being. How many gals of product for 6 coats of epoxy and why not PPG (dbc) for the color. Since I'm an amateur and spraying a metallic would this be easier. If I use (dbc) would you still use the SPI universal clear. This is a driver and I'd be happy with a factory quality paint job not necessarily show quality.
Thanks
Bob
Old 09-19-2007, 12:38 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i used approx 1 1/2 gal mix. it is a 1 to 1 mix so a gal should do you. i was working on a 57 vette so you may not need as many coats. i just prefer the s/s. goes on smooth and even . be careful with base coat as your first coat of wet clear can streak it. plus s/s will help build the finish quicker.

Get notified of new replies

To Compatable base coat for SPI epoxy primer

Quick Reply: Compatable base coat for SPI epoxy primer