Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Can you use plaster to make a mold for a fiberglass bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:57 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can you use plaster to make a mold for a fiberglass bumper?

Can you use plaster to make a mold for a fiberglass bumper? What else needs to be done to make sure the plaster will not stick to the original bumper or the new fiberglass?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i think your hardest problems will be to design a mold frame that will separate into two pieces (top and bottom) due to undercut sections, and also be strong enough to support the weight of the plaster.
jeff
Old 05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Why would I need a frame? Couldn't I just pour the plaster on thick and make a female cast?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

go to fiberglass forums and they will have the answers you are looking for. i have been told that you can put a release agent on your bumper and make a fiberglass mold of it. i think there are threads that cover mold making there. the guy that is helping me with my car has done them in the past with interior parts. i can ask how he did it and what he used.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:13 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

the bumper has many complex curves that will prevent the original bumper to be removed from the hardened plaster. that's what i ment buy "undercuts". the weight of the amount of plaster you are going to need will be more that the tensile strength of the unsupported plaster. i wouldn't be surprised if the total weight of the "die" is several hundred pounds. you are making a mould of a large object. remember that the water that is added to the plaster does not evaporate, it chemically combines with the dry gypsum and increases the weight.
jeff
Old 05-26-2008, 03:09 PM
temvette72
Racer

I think it would be easier to make a mold out of styrofoam blocks. There was a good show on Spike "Powerblock" where they did this to make molds for 'glas fender flares for a Mustang. It was very labor intensive, and required some specialized materials, but I'm sure it could be done by a talented shadetree mechanic.

Temvette72

Get notified of new replies

To Can you use plaster to make a mold for a fiberglass bumper?

Quick Reply: Can you use plaster to make a mold for a fiberglass bumper?