Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Soda blasting bumpers....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default Soda blasting bumpers....

I have two different situations with soft bumpers. The ones on my Camaro are a little "old" and showing a lot of stress cracks in the paint. I'm thinking they need a complete refinish. The front bumper of my 'Vette recently became the victim of my stupidity, and I doubt that I can effectively do a "spot" refinish.

So, I need to remove the old finish from these bumpers. late last fall, I spoke with what appears to be the only shop in my area with a commercial soda blaster. He wanted, if I remember correctly, something like $400 to strip the Camaro's bumpers. That's a substantial amount of money, in my opinion.

I've done some shopping on the 'net and came across a couple of "home" type units. One is Eastwood's conversion for a regular "tank" sandblaster and the other is from "Ace Sandblasting Equipment".

Does anyone have any experience with either stripping soft bumpers with soda, and ant experience with either of these blasters?

Thanks in advance....

(I also have 200 lbs. of plastic media. It was purchased by my empolyer, but didn't work for what they wanted to do. They were doing a clean-up blitz in the storage area, and I was told, "If you want it, get it out of here before we think twice about it.....Would that work on removing the paint from the bumpers ?)

Last edited by leadfoot4; 06-11-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Nobody??
Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 AM
OzzyC4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what you need, it is the best $10 you will spend on your project.

http://www.pablaster.com/
Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

just so you will know, i will not fire up my blaster for less than 500. it burns diesel and then there is the clean up. if you find a shop that operates 8 hrs a day you may be able to slip them in.

Get notified of new replies

To Soda blasting bumpers....

Quick Reply: Soda blasting bumpers....