Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

did my clearcoat crack? is this cheap paint job

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:23 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default did my clearcoat crack? is this cheap paint job

I've only owned this 87 coupe since christmas and this is it's first summer. I work at a garden center and I parked it there while I went to work. When I came back it had water spots all over the hood from when the sprinklers came on to water the plants but it was really hot outside. Now I tried to wash off the spots and even claybared them after wash but I can still see the outline when I am right next to the car.

Is this how cheap paint clear coats crack? what are my options? I think I am going to repaint the car next christmas but what until then? Just wax and live with it or is there something I can do?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 PM
OzzyC4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
I've only owned this 87 coupe since christmas and this is it's first summer. I work at a garden center and I parked it there while I went to work. When I came back it had water spots all over the hood from when the sprinklers came on to water the plants but it was really hot outside. Now I tried to wash off the spots and even claybared them after wash but I can still see the outline when I am right next to the car.

Is this how cheap paint clear coats crack? what are my options? I think I am going to repaint the car next christmas but what until then? Just wax and live with it or is there something I can do?
Try wetting a soft cloth with vinegar and removing the ring. The vinegar will dissolve the calcium/mineral ring and won't harm your paint.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rithsleeper

It's not cracking clear coat......Water spots from sprinklers are very common and can be a minor PITA to remove at times (depending on the color)....

I'd polish them out with an orbital and a mild abrasive. Vinegar and water usually won't disolve the outline left in the paint.

Good luck.....
Old 06-22-2008, 11:16 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Often water used for lawns may come from a well instead of a public water system. Public water systems are not allowed to deliver water that is acidic (pH < 7.0).
If the water was acidic, then it could have etched the paint.
If it is etched, color sanding and polishing out will be the only solution.
That is risky because you don't now how thick the clearcoat is and you could sand through to the base. Then you're looking at needing a paint job.

And btw, bird crap is often acidic and if left on the car it will etch the paint. If a bird craps on your car, get it off immediately.

Get notified of new replies

To did my clearcoat crack? is this cheap paint job

Quick Reply: did my clearcoat crack? is this cheap paint job