Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What color primer used on 1966 C2's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Mike Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What color primer used on 1966 C2's?

I have what I have understood to be an original paint 66 coupe.
Very badly checked and peeling paint with a red primer showing through in places.
The most recommended painter that has looked at it says it has to have been repainted because the red oxide looking primer wasn't used back then.
I thought it was. I've searched through the "Paint & Body" section and can't find the answer.
I know someone on here knows so please answer this for me.
Thanks!
Mike
Old 06-21-2008, 04:33 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Z06
Very badly checked and peeling paint with a red primer showing through in places.
The most recommended painter that has looked at it says it has to have been repainted because the red oxide looking primer wasn't used back then.
I thought it was. I've searched through the "Paint & Body" section and can't find the answer.
Thanks!
Mike
Red oxide primer with a light coat of gray sealer.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mike Z06
Thanks!
Mike
Here ya go......

Corvette Exterior Paint Process

PRIMARY SANDING - All body panels and bonded joints that received acrylic lacquer are dry sanded to prepare surfaces for painting. A filler material (called putty rub) is applied to the entire body to fill minor imperfections.
PRIMER - Two coats of primer are applied (the first red and the second gray) and are oven baked for 60 minutes at 280 degrees F.
WET SANDING - The body is wet sanded to provide a smooth surface for the sealers. Most of the gray primer coat is removed with the red primer acting as a depth signal for the sanding operation. The body is dried to remove all moisture.
SEALER - One coat of sealer and one coat of color acrylic lacquer are applied and baked.
DRY SANDING - The body is dry sanded to prepare surfaces for the final acrylic lacquer.
LACQUERING - Three coats of acrylic lacquer are sprayed on the body to build up the required paint thickness. The paint is "rested" for eight minutes to permit it to partially set up and to remove excess volatile paint vehicle.
INITIAL BAKING - The body is oven baked for 30 minutes at 140 degrees F to harden the paint which permits the subsequent operation. Small interior and exterior parts are painted to complete the body paint schedule.
FINAL BAKING - To assure a durable, hard, high luster finish the lacquer is oven baked for 45 minutes at 250 degrees F. Reheating the lacquer permits the paint film to soften and allows surface blemishes and sanding scratches to disappear during the thermo-reflow process.
FINAL SANDING AND POLISHING - The body is lightly oil sanded and polished to bring painted surfaces to a high luster finish

Chevrolet Engineering Center - September 1965

http://www.corvette.net/paint.htm
Old 06-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Mike Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I knew someone here would know.

Get notified of new replies

To What color primer used on 1966 C2's?

Quick Reply: What color primer used on 1966 C2's?