Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

NAPA (Martin Senour) version of Sherwin Williams

Old 11-04-2008, 12:44 PM
c4zf6nut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAPA (Martin Senour) version of Sherwin Williams

Hi there,

I stopped by Sherwin Williams store, where they recommended their Dimension line for a complete paint job. The paint will either be sourced through them or the local NAPA dealer who sells SW relabeled Martin Senour paint (Crossfire?).

Any advice on whether to go for single stage or base/cc for a non metallic blue paint? Some recommended I use Martin Senour acryllic paint (not even urethane) if I am going to garage the car because they said UV protection is not that necessary if the car is not going to be parked in the desert. I am not paying for labor, the car is in a technical school. The instructor told me paint will cost about $200-300 for single stage acryllic urethane, and $600 for base/clear coat. I do not care too much for the material cost, just want to make sure the paint will last a long time.

C4ZF6nut
Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

ppg concept is a good choice for single stage. you will regret using 2nd line paint. there is a reason it is cheaper.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:59 PM
c4zf6nut
Instructor

The school uses Sherwin Williams paint, but according to the Sherwin Williams store, they buy from the local NAPA store. I told them my experience with Nason (Dupont) but the teacher told me sternly that they use Sherwin Williams. I doubt I can make them use PPG or Dupont.

Sherwin Williams was American distributor for Standox, and reputedly their Ultra 7000 paint is based on the old German formulation. They sold the American Standox to Herberts, one of the leading German paint brands. I do not know much about Crossfire but read their single stage is very good. I just do not know how good their BC/CC will last. Have you used Crossfire?

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mart...ons-85818.html

C4ZF6nut

Originally Posted by porchdog
ppg concept is a good choice for single stage. you will regret using 2nd line paint. there is a reason it is cheaper.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:15 PM
porchdog
Drifting

cant help you on this one. i dont use sw at all and never use 2nd line paint on the builds i do. nason is no different than omni or dimension or any other 2nd line paint. i have used dupont, ppg and r-m for 40 years . i do no collision work so i never consider material cost. good luck with it.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:54 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sherwin Williams and NAPA are the same paint. Their first line is fine, but as Porchdog says, second lines are not as good, and there is somewhat of a false economy. They never cover as well and never mix up to the same amount of material, so the savings are minimal.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:28 PM
c4zf6nut
Instructor

Many thanks for your suggestion. The teacher is very experienced, he is so famous locally. His father was a auto painter, he was a painter. His business hit the rocks in the mid 80s and became a teacher.

Since I am a college prof. (essentially a teacher, but no union so lower wage.-), he may be thinking of saving me money but perhaps this is the kind of paint he wants his students to work with. I guess matching touch up with the economy line will be difficult after the car is painted.

I think there was a fellow looking to sell his C4 for $12000, and some recommended lots of UV protection .-) I am not going to sell the car in the next five to ten years unless it is totaled.

This is a vocational school. I found some of their graduating students becoming autobody instructors in other schools when I searched on the internet.

C4ZF6nut

Originally Posted by wombvette
Sherwin Williams and NAPA are the same paint. Their first line is fine, but as Porchdog says, second lines are not as good, and there is somewhat of a false economy. They never cover as well and never mix up to the same amount of material, so the savings are minimal.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:36 PM
porchdog
Drifting

just make sure they use 1st line sw. there is no excuse for using 2nd line in tech school other than their budget.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
c4zf6nut
Instructor

Hi again,

I visited the school today. They started working on the car, taking the bumpers off etc. The instructor told me that the 1st line martin senour (Sw) will be used. I think he also will not be doing a full frame restoration so the exact color match of the Ultra line will be an advantage.

The car is not a Corvette. I knew there was some trouble with the rocker panels so I bought and put them in the car. The instructor had the rockers sanded since Monday and found two small holes. He will be covering these with fiberglass instead of sheet metal. He thinks replacing the entire rocker may cause bigger problems for this 4 door vehicle.-) What do you think about fiber glass repair of 1-2 inch diameter holes in the rocker panel?

Many thanks for your suggestions,

C4ZF6nut

Originally Posted by porchdog
just make sure they use 1st line sw. there is no excuse for using 2nd line in tech school other than their budget.

Get notified of new replies

To NAPA (Martin Senour) version of Sherwin Williams

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NAPA (Martin Senour) version of Sherwin Williams