Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Macco Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 PM
dariopop
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Thanks. Yeah, I was mainly interested in the price just for the labor as I'm thinking of bringing my own paint for whoever shoots it. So, they wouldn't be charging me for paint. I talked to a local painter who runs a small shop, nothing major. And over the phone he told me he would probably charge me $1k in labor plus the cost of paint to paint my Vette if I have the lights out, stripped and sanded. Though, I'm gonna bring it by to get a better estimate.

I'm gonna also talk to some other local painters first as the closest Maaco is 1+ hour away. Then there are 2 Maaco's that are 2+ hours away. That is far to drive a stripped down car with no lights. Plus, if those are crapshoots, then the next shop is probably 4-5 hours away.
Sorry Josh, I don't have an answer for you on " if I bring my own paint " . Good luck on whatever you do , just do your homework!
The following users liked this post:
bpassmore (08-16-2016)
Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 PM
mayordaly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After following this post I have to say I agree with both sides.
Porch dog, I can,t tell you how much I value all the great information
you have given me and others that take on painting our own cars.
For me it was 2 reasons, First, did not have spare funds to get a good job. 2nd was that I love working on cars and I do have spare time.
And just wanted to see how well well I could do If I did all my homework. I do understand that others like me try to get the best or most out of a limited budget. That said, If I had the extra money
I would try to find a good shop like yours and know that it would be done right. SPI paint was the best tip of all. (after fighting the production clears)

Thanks
Larry
Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Email sent

Your car looks great!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 AM
0JimJ@CountyCorvette
Former Vendor

Dariopop,
Congrats on the paintjob, in pictures it looks great and if you like it, well I love it.

I am curious as to the language of the 5 year warranty.
Would you be so kind to post those details here?

One other side comment, over the past 23 years I have been in business doing specifically Corvettes I have had many, many people suggest I lower my price due to the value of his car.
However, never, not once has an owner of a car that doubled, tripled or quadrupled in value come back to me and paid me a dividend on my workmanship.

Jim Jordan
Old 03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
dan6712cc
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading this thread I had to chime in. After having my '94 painted multiple times, having seen the troubles my brother had getting his M3 painted, and seen other mishaps getting our family cars painted growing up, I can say (from my experience) that there are A LOT of painters out there that are either crooks or just plain bad at what they do. My brother had to take the guys that butchered his M3 to court. I don't think it's just bad luck that it takes 3-4 trips to get my Vette painted without having runs and fisheyes in it. That said there are also painters out there that are very good at what they do. And to porchdog, don't get offended if someone says that some painters are crooks this happens in every field, painters, doctors, whatever. I think that most people that want a good but not show car quality paint job would agree with the original posters statements. After getting screwed so many times why would someone fork over 10k for a paint job when by past experience it has a 50/50 chance of turning out like junk or just average?

Last edited by dan6712cc; 03-25-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM
lrisner
6th Gear

This says it all!

Originally Posted by dariopop
Vettenova:
I actually got a call the 2nd day and the owner asked me if I wanted to block the 1st coat of k2 primer before the 2nd coat and I spent a whole day at the shop in a spare booth and fixed any minor imperfections that showed up after the primer dried. Sure made a difference in the end result.

This makes another good point!

Vettenova:
Now you tell me of any other shop that would be willing to let the car owner come into their shop for a day to sand their car , that literally is taking money out of their pockets.

The truth is, Maaco can't do it either. They made an exemption in your case. That does not mean a person could expect to get a quality Paint Job at Maaco.

You got a nice looking Paint Job, but it was not a Maaco Job!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Vette Fetish
Pro

I LOVE LOVE LOVE a Dark Brown Corvette! Our 73 L 82 was just repainted earlier this week and I am very pleased with the outcome of the color!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:52 PM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Fetish

I LOVE LOVE LOVE a Dark Brown Corvette! Our 73 L 82 was just repainted earlier this week and I am very pleased with the outcome of the color!
I love your seats...
Old 12-08-2014, 05:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The color is great...I can dig it!...and all seems to be really nicely done...including the 'rookie mistake' that I come across often.

Originally Posted by 80-Vette
I love your seats...
YEAH...I have one just like it.

DUB
Old 12-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Vette Fetish
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
The color is great...I can dig it!...and all seems to be really nicely done...including the 'rookie mistake' that I come across often.

YEAH...I have one just like it.

DUB
"rookie mistake"? I'll bite what are you referring to?

BTW cost of this paint job was $5200. That price included fiberglass repairs and all prep work.

Since the car was previously blue the painting required additional time for painting the door jams, thresholds and steering column.

This 73 was painted in Springfield, Mo by a painter/ body man who has been restoring Corvettes for 43 years.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Love dark brown on a Vette, Not a common color back in the day but very common on new cars nowadays.

I think when you put the doors and the hood back on you will see what DUB probably meant.

Last edited by persuader; 12-08-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

"rookie mistake"? I'll bite what are you referring to?

BTW cost of this paint job was $5200. That price included fiberglass repairs and all prep work.

Since the car was previously blue the painting required additional time for painting the door jams, thresholds and steering column.

This 73 was painted in Springfield, Mo by a painter/ body man who has been restoring Corvettes for 43 years.
I am not knocking him and the time he has in the industry. It has EVERYTHING to do with the level that 'he' feels is acceptable to him. THAT is where the differences can begin.

I was going to keep my mouth shut...and I am not picking at you or your job....but NOW knowing what you spent. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would let you car leave with the area behind the rocker panel being TAPED OFF INCORRECTLY.

It should have been all 'back-taped' and PAINTED...so when the rocker panels go on....and you look at this area either through the gaps and from underneath...it is PAINTED.

YES...is it a small thing....but I want to make sure when I am looking at the leading edge of the fender and rear quarter where the rocker panels begins and ends...that edge of these panels are painted. I know it is mostly covered up...but with having my paint jobs being judged ...I have to get it to pass MY EYE.

Go through all that work and have it looking VERY NICE...and then 'drop the ball' (opinion). Same thing holds true to the insides of the doors that are covered by the door panels. I have seen MANY that tape them off...only to find out when it is un-taped and the door panel is installed...you can see the LINE where the paint stops and the primer still shows....and the paint was applied over the old strip caulk.

Like I wrote...it is still sweet.....I am just SUPER PICKY...that's all.

DUB
Old 12-09-2014, 06:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by persuader
I think when you put the doors and the hood back on you will see what DUB probably meant.
Biting my tongue until see that. Can not comment on what I have not seen.

DUB
Old 12-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Vette Fetish
Pro

DUB,

After reading this comment I asked my husband look at the area you are referring to. After closely viewing the picture I posted we can both see exactly what you are calling our attention to.

I'd like to thank you for speaking out. We are planning to express our concerns regarding the rocker panel areas not being completely covered with paint before the rocker panels are put back on the 73.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

To Dub and Porchdog, Thank you for responding and giving advice on the paint and body forum. As a old retired painter who has painted hundreds and hundreds of cars and thousands of cabs and assorted parts for Mack Trucks why bicker with anyone who does not see eye to eye with you. I know how difficult the refinishing business is, most people do not. I am still amazed how often you guys take the time to help out with advice on this forum. From a old Pro, keep up with the good advice and ignore the one time painters.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB,

After reading this comment I asked my husband look at the area you are referring to. After closely viewing the picture I posted we can both see exactly what you are calling our attention to.

I'd like to thank you for speaking out. We are planning to express our concerns regarding the rocker panel areas not being completely covered with paint before the rocker panels are put back on the 73.
Sorry that I 'stirred up the hornets nest'....but....if the paint job cost $1000....It would be 'forgivable''''so-to-speak.....BUT...this is not the case at all.

And not wanting to add more to this...because I can not tell by the photo you posted. All I can hope for is that the front bumper was NOT painted FULLY ATTACHED to the body at the time of painting. I ALWAYS paint them OFF the car...and if needed ...depending on the color..I will set it back up where it belongs for the final coat of paint to make sure the color matches and metallic structure is perfect....then I take it off and set it on a stand I have so it can be clear coated.

When I paint a car like yours....I DO NOT separate the bumper cover and leave a gap...so 'some' paint/clear can get in the gap between the body and the bumper cover. This is due to the problem that can occur is the build up of paint and clear right on the edge and this creates a slight build up that makes the edge have a 'bubble' to it...or if this 'bubble' lays down and goes on the flange of the bumper and front end....when the bumper is joined to the front end....now there is a chance of these 2 bubbles coming together and causing a problem when the bumper is tightened and this extra material will have to go some where...and when the bumper gets hot...it can bulge to the outside and create a significant bubble.

MANY variables can come into play to make all of this past statement mute and pointless....It can have a lot to do with the clear they are using...how slow they apply it to give it good mil thickness, what hardeners they use and how they have the paint gun set-up.

Originally Posted by Allentown Ernie
To Dub and Porchdog, Thank you for responding and giving advice on the paint and body forum. As a old retired painter who has painted hundreds and hundreds of cars and thousands of cabs and assorted parts for Mack Trucks why bicker with anyone who does not see eye to eye with you. I know how difficult the refinishing business is, most people do not. I am still amazed how often you guys take the time to help out with advice on this forum. From a old Pro, keep up with the good advice and ignore the one time painters.
THANK YOU for taking the time to reply. AS you VERY WELL know...a paint job can be performed hundreds of ways.....which will all depend on how much prep time is spent....which equates to the $$$$ being spent on the job and what the owner expects. I know I may come across somewhat 'opinionated' and rarely waver my responses....but that is only because I have realized that if something is going to be done...DO IT RIGHT....THE FIRST TIME...and I have to WARRANTY my work. I do not have time to deal with "WOULDA-COULDA-SHOULDA".

DUB
Old 12-12-2014, 03:16 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

That dark brown is gorgeous! Hope everything works out with your car.

Get notified of new replies

To Macco Paint Job

Old 10-19-2015, 01:42 AM
Hubie1002
Advanced

Originally Posted by porchdog
i just try to help guys that are stumped
Originally Posted by porchdog
if i had a problem with guys looking for a less costly way of doing it i would not be giving free advise on several sites would i
Hmmmmm....I guess no <B>ladies</B> need help in this forum or do you just help guys?

Last edited by Hubie1002; 10-19-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:48 AM
Hubie1002
Advanced

I hope my post helped some guy that doesn't have a lot of money know that there are alternatives to the $ 12,000 paint job.
Again..."some guy that doesn't have a lot of money"? Hey, are ladies even allowed in this forum? Please don't forget we participate too! We don't just stand around in bikinis at car and boat shows! And sometimes we even bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan!

BTW, your car in that brown looks awesome!

Last edited by Hubie1002; 10-19-2015 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:17 AM
Hubie1002
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
Sorry that I 'stirred up the hornets nest'....but....if the paint job cost $1000....It would be 'forgivable''''so-to-speak.....BUT...this is not the case at all.

THANK YOU for taking the time to reply. AS you VERY WELL know...a paint job can be performed hundreds of ways.....which will all depend on how much prep time is spent....which equates to the $$$$ being spent on the job and what the owner expects. I know I may come across somewhat 'opinionated' and rarely waver my responses....but that is only because I have realized that if something is going to be done...DO IT RIGHT....THE FIRST TIME...and I have to WARRANTY my work. I do not have time to deal with "WOULDA-COULDA-SHOULDA".

DUB
I love how in all the threads I see you post in, you always have THE BEST advice, take the time to post in depth answers to everyone's questions, participate in numerous conversations with intelligent, well thought out answers, and never ever have I seen you take offense to anyone questioning your opinions or expertise. You seem to really know it all but never come off as a "know it all." You are humbly knowledgeable and that is a rare thing. This is the second time I have seen you notice something small, a detail so insignificant to most laymen but so SIGNIFICANT to you, that you just have to bring it forth into the light. I understand. I am a perfectionist as well. But I just wanted to let you know that you are the person that we always hope is reading and interacting with us on the boards because you have the knowledge to enlighten us (and thankfully, the time apparently!) but the humility not to throw that knowledge around unasked for or in anger. So, thank you.

Last edited by Hubie1002; 10-19-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Macco Paint Job