Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Macco Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:06 PM
dariopop
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had it plastic media blasted , it cost me $800.00 but it sure made a difference in the end paint job.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:59 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
Shops like Macco are for people who have, say a $5K-8K car, that can't justify $10,000 for a paint job.

Tom
This can be true... I had macco paint my 84 corvette twice in the same year because I bought the greenwood ground effects kit and they couldnt match the paint they had drastically got wrong (as far as color) the first time... the second time they got it right millennium yellow.. cost me $1100 though to mount the kit and respray regardless of their goofup. (I do rememeber it being like $400 cheaper if I paid at least half in cash (They were pocketing some off the books or hiding it from the owner no doubt)

However the car sat outside in the driveway most of the 11 years I kept this paintjob before repainting it myself another color and I have to say the paint held up fine. no peeling but I did have a tiny bit of dulling on the hood that did buff right out when it was around 9 years old or so (intergrated clear)... They used sherwin williams paint.

That 84 it still floating around craiglist for about $2500 since no one wants an 84 with its 205hp crossfire injection...I sold it when the company I worked switched us to 4 cylinder camrys and it put that vette to shame powerwise.

I do also believe after spraying a couple cars that the body and prep work is where most of the work comes into play...Dont get me wrong spraying takes skill and talent and PATIENCE some just dont have. But for just spraying the paint I think many DO overcharge. Why? Whynot ? It doesnt make sense to charge less than you can get with a steady flow of work and overwork yourself...Plus some people actually feel better about paying more because it gives them piece of mind that it was "Better" I swear some people like to brag about what things cost them more than anything at carshows..

I can say after it being like 6 years since I did bodywork and paint on one of my cars I did forget just how much WORK can lead up to spraying and yes some of the spraying cost would be for someone to take responsibility for that work and any mistakes they could make setting it back so..

Last edited by augiedoggy; 06-07-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:48 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
This can be true... I had macco paint my 84 corvette twice in the same year because I bought the greenwood ground effects kit and they couldnt match the paint they had drastically got wrong (as far as color) the first time... the second time they got it right millennium yellow.. cost me $1100 though to mount the kit and respray regardless of their goofup. (I do rememeber it being like $400 cheaper if I paid at least half in cash (They were pocketing some off the books or hiding it from the owner no doubt)

However the car sat outside in the driveway most of the 11 years I kept this paintjob before repainting it myself another color and I have to say the paint held up fine. no peeling but I did have a tiny bit of dulling on the hood that did buff right out when it was around 9 years old or so (intergrated clear)... They used sherwin williams paint.

That 84 it still floating around craiglist for about $2500 since no one wants an 84 with its 205hp crossfire injection...I sold it when the company I worked switched us to 4 cylinder camrys and it put that vette to shame powerwise.

I do also believe after spraying a couple cars that the body and prep work is where most of the work comes into play...Dont get me wrong spraying takes skill and talent and PATIENCE some just dont have. But for just spraying the paint I think many DO overcharge. Why? Whynot ? It doesnt make sense to charge less than you can get with a steady flow of work and overwork yourself...Plus some people actually feel better about paying more because it gives them piece of mind that it was "Better" I swear some people like to brag about what things cost them more than anything at carshows..

I can say after it being like 6 years since I did bodywork and paint on one of my cars I did forget just how much WORK can lead up to spraying and yes some of the spraying cost would be for someone to take responsibility for that work and any mistakes they could make setting it back so..
First and foremost. I liked my 84. I honed out the intake and was preparing to do some head work.

Paint prep is sooooooo much WORK. A friend of mine would spend 300 hours on a car. I have a few people offering high quality paint jobs. 5K and up. I am thinking that the MACCO is the way to go. This car is going to get driven. Besides a mechanic I know said that this shop painted another vette he works on. Said the car looks good. Thank you for the input. Have a great day
Old 06-07-2016, 03:08 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jseremba
First and foremost. I liked my 84. I honed out the intake and was preparing to do some head work.

Paint prep is sooooooo much WORK. A friend of mine would spend 300 hours on a car. I have a few people offering high quality paint jobs. 5K and up. I am thinking that the MACCO is the way to go. This car is going to get driven. Besides a mechanic I know said that this shop painted another vette he works on. Said the car looks good. Thank you for the input. Have a great day
Oh I loved my 84.. had it for 13 years... until I got the newer car I didnt realize how much power it really was lacking but it did handle awesome and I looked for aftermarket intakes like the xram which seemed to be made of unubtainium woth peaple waiting months and months for one to be made... I did look for an intake to hone out but that was around the time I learned that my K&N air filter had disinigrated and the engine was burning oil badly so I gave up. I also botched the chameleon paint job I gave it by waiting 5-10 minutes too long between coats of clear... this made me sick everytime I looked at the car because even though I repaired the damage and repainted the whole car again, I had issues from laying too much paint down too quickly... live and learn. Its part of not having someone else do it for me. I never did care much for the body styling and in the end it worked out because I bought the 74 a year later which I love and love working on. I realize the 84 was a better engineered car by far but thats all it had over the c3 Just my opinion though.

As for the macco paint job I dont regret it at all.. it was well worth it for a car that wasnt worth a more expensive paint job nor did it need the bodywork to justify a 5-10k spray imho.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 06-07-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:20 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
Oh I loved my 84.. had it for 13 years... until I got the newer car I didnt realize how much power it really was lacking but it did handle awesome and I looked for aftermarket intakes like the xram which seemed to be made of unubtainium woth peaple waiting months and months for one to be made... I did look for an intake to hone out but that was around the time I learned that my K&N air filter had disinigrated and the engine was burning oil badly so I gave up. I also botched the chameleon paint job I gave it by waiting 5-10 minutes too long between coats of clear... this made me sick everytime I looked at the car because even though I repaired the damage and repainted the whole car again, I had issues from laying too much paint down too quickly... live and learn. Its part of not having someone else do it for me. I never did care much for the body styling and in the end it worked out because I bought the 74 a year later which I love and love working on. I realize the 84 was a better engineered car by far but thats all it had over the c3 Just my opinion though.

As for the macco paint job I dont regret it at all.. it was well worth it for a car that wasnt worth a more expensive paint job nor did it need the bodywork to justify a 5-10k spray imho.
No question my 84 handled great and the 89 is better. But my 69 was soooo simple to work on. I am surprised you were not able to find an intake. They are out there. Well soon mine should be at MACCO. Have a great night
Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Plasticfreak
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 106 Posts

It looks good! Enjoy it!

Old 07-12-2016, 08:32 AM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by Plasticfreak
It looks good! Enjoy it!

I have a 1984 crossfire intake manifold if you want it 150.00 plus shipping. That is what I paid for it.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 AM
jseremba
Drifting

oops read half your post. Did not realize that you got rid of the 84. Paint looks great.
And like you said. I drive my car and park it in lots and stuff. I am not a 10K paint job type of guy.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:32 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Better call Macco...
Old 07-21-2016, 04:36 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jseremba
oops read half your post. Did not realize that you got rid of the 84. Paint looks great.
And like you said. I drive my car and park it in lots and stuff. I am not a 10K paint job type of guy.
Me either... Thats why I painted mine myself... cost me $800 and a lot of my time. Its not perfect but it looks great to me.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...one-color.html

Last edited by augiedoggy; 07-21-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:00 PM
dariopop
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Macao paint still lookin good, proofs in the pudding guys.😎😎Going on 8 years now.
I posted this for all the nay Sayers .
Do your homework , check out the quality of the work going out the door and always pay for their top of the line paint.
My car still has never been colored sanded yet. Jaws still drop when I tell them Macco. 2 coats 2part epoxy primer, base coat/ clear coat , all door jams painted also $2000.00 out the door. 🤑
The $4000.00 I saved I bought a new zz5 motor.

https://secure.meetupstatic.com/phot...461732017.jpeg

Last edited by dariopop; 06-08-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Plasticfreak
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by dariopop
Macao paint still lookin good, proofs in the pudding guys.😎😎Going on 8 years now.
I posted this for all the nay Sayers .
Do your homework , check out the quality of the work going out the door and always pay for their top of the line paint.
My car still has never been colored sanded yet. Jaws still drop when I tell them Macco. 2 coats 2part epoxy primer, base coat/ clear coat , all door jams painted also $2000.00 out the door. 🤑
The $4000.00 I saved I bought a new zz5 motor.

https://secure.meetupstatic.com/phot...461732017.jpeg
Lookin great!
Old 06-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I've had 2 vehicles painted there , i stripped and did all the prep. Zero issues and probably way better than I could have done in garage. I went super cheap even under 500 for each.
The gut went above and beyond what I paid for, stating the time they saved in prep went into the actual paint job and 2 toned one for same price.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:29 AM
SAYUNCL
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My Dad always went to Maaco as have I. No issues, no complaints, no regrets. Really nice, affordable, quality work. We've always had them do the prep work too. Soon I'll be getting my 2001 C5 painted at Maaco and I can't wait to see the results and show it off. If I sold the C5 I could maybe squeeze $20k out of the right buyer so there's zippy chance I'll pay a paint shop half that.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Maaco gets a bad rap but to be honest nothing wrong with using them to paint a old used Chevy that you have a small amount of money invested.

I couldn't think of a better place to take a C4.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:15 AM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
And that depends if they are taking their profession seriously or not. I know people who have painted for years still do a crappy job and just do not care.

That goes for any shop.

The OP summed it up in his original post. Each shop is independently owned and operated. So no two shops are alike.

Everyone knows MAACO from the commercials but MAACO also gets a bad rap from their commercials offering cheap paint jobs but I guess that goes hand in hand with being a franchise.

There is a MAACO shop down the block from where I take my cars. They've always got some nice looking custom project outside and their shop truck has a really nice paint job on it too. I've just never been inclined to look in to their services because I am taken care of very well at the shop I currently use.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:55 AM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by TGO
That goes for any shop.

The OP summed it up in his original post. Each shop is independently owned and operated. So no two shops are alike.

Everyone knows MAACO from the commercials but MAACO also gets a bad rap from their commercials offering cheap paint jobs but I guess that goes hand in hand with being a franchise.

There is a MAACO shop down the block from where I take my cars. They've always got some nice looking custom project outside and their shop truck has a really nice paint job on it too. I've just never been inclined to look in to their services because I am taken care of very well at the shop I currently use.
My paint job came out fine. I asked for a certain quality and that is what they gave me. I am sure that I could have gotten a better job if I wanted to spend the money.

Get notified of new replies

To Macco Paint Job

Old 07-14-2017, 04:54 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by dariopop
Jaws still drop when I tell them Macco. 2 coats 2part epoxy primer, base coat/ clear coat , all door jams painted also $2000.00 out the door. 🤑
High end painters say they can't even buy the paint for $2000! I wonder why?

Tom
Old 07-16-2017, 12:13 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by TCW
High end painters say they can't even buy the paint for $2000! I wonder why?

Tom
the first guy that came bye to look at my car said 12 K to paint it. It needed body work. He said the PPG paints and primer were cost 4 K . With the amount of work I am sure that 12 K was about right. But, I had MACCO paint it for $1500. It is not a concourse paint job. I wanted it to look good at 60 MPH. It does. Probably another 500 would have got a paint job that looked good at 40 MPH.
I am sure that MACCO has painters that can do any quality you are willing to pay for.
The following users liked this post:
TCW (07-16-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:54 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I just ran across this thread from way back.....but it has good info.

It must be true about different maaco shops varying in their quality.

I let the MAACO shop near me paint the hardtop on my project car/daily driver. I wouldn't have to wait weeks to have the job completed/ they could do it immediately. The price averaged #15 per square foot.

I'm glad I let them do the hardtop first......IT SUCKED.

I then let a local small shop paint my hood......the price average was $12 per square foot. He did a fantastic job.

Moral of the story: Give 'em an Igloo ice chest to paint....If it looks good, give 'em your car next!

Quick Reply: Macco Paint Job