Old 02-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Question on Bumper Painting

I am going to be doing some detail work on my car on the bumpers and hood. I know there is an additive that I have to add to the pain to do the bumpers. Is there a spray can I can get that has the additive in it? if so would it be safe to use in a non bumper section also? I am only going to do a couple little sections so I dont want to have to buy a quart or so at the paint shop I just want to mask off some sections and rattle can it. Am I dreaming or is there a company that makes bumper safe rattle cans?

Thanks

Last edited by Kubs; 02-20-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as the the bumper remains on the car, you can use paint without an additive for touchup purposes. The paint might crack if you flex the bumper but otherwise it will survive without additive. The other choice is to buy a pint of color along with all the supplies and use a Preval sprayer to apply it. SEM makes a large selection of flexible paints in aerosol but they are generic colors and probably won't match your color. You don't want to use flexible paint on body panels since it doesn't sand and polish like regular paint. The way you spray it on is how it's going to look. You mentioned masking areas, when spot repairing you blend new paint into old, don't spray to a masked line that will leave a paint edge.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Thanks. Im actually adding black details ( like lightning bolts on the nose) on a red car. Color matching is not an issue. I also know all about the blending. I will do that on the clear layer. If I use regular paint on the nose you say driving over bumps and such wont crack it? What about a can of clear on the bumper? That will have to cover a larger area than the black. Will that crack?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kubs
Color matching is not an issue.:
Okay then, I would scrap the paint idea and use decal film instead. Make a template from posterboard and duplicate it on the vinyl film.

3M striping tape is available in widths up to 6". This way if you don't like, you can change it or use multiple colors.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ahoover
Okay then, I would scrap the paint idea and use decal film instead.

What is this and where can I get it? Can it be cleared over? When I paint details there is usually no bump in the color transition. Wouldnt a decal be thick?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kubs
What is this and where can I get it? Can it be cleared over? When I paint details there is usually no bump in the color transition. Wouldnt a decal be thick?
It is quite thin, the same thickness as OEM decals. The vinyl material is clear coated so it is glossy. See your auto paint store, 3M and Prostripe are the major manufactures, just a thought to consider.

You really won't get good results with aerosol's unless you use automotive paints in a Preval aerosol sprayer. Even then, if you are concerned about cracking you'll want to use flex agent and it will not polish. For all the supplies you need it will be $$$ compared to decal film.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Bumper Painting

Quick Reply: Question on Bumper Painting