Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

bare aluminum sanded then????

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:58 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Default bare aluminum sanded then????

i have a project that will entail aluminum. it will be sanded and maybe buffed but i'm not going for a shiney look, but more of a matte/satin finish. i was thinking of using normal furniture wax to coat it and be done with it. the aluminum will not see the outside elements so i think i should be good....any suggestions

if i go a spray route, i want to use a product out of a spray can...maybe rustoleum enamel or something...
Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do not protect the aluminum...it will oxidize....even inside out of the weather...it may take longer to do so...but it will. It will react much like brass and silver. So applying something on it will help keep the effect that you are looking for ...without much maintenance. Without a clear understanding on what you are doing and what you are wanting to achieve..it is hard for me to direct you in a path with the correct end result. Sanding? buffing? Polishing? What it is and where it will be located. So many ways of doing this that some may work well while others may require much effort to keep the look you want...or require a touch up from time to time due to product failure....because it is being used in a manner in which it is not designed...for the long term
"DUB"
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HD Scotchbrite pads will give a fairly uniform matte surface to smooth aluminum. You can control the amount of cut both by varying pressure, and using a lubricant such as water or soapy water. Surface conditioning discs in either a drill or die grinder can produce some quite unique and beautiful swirl patterns ... play on some scrap with various grits/speeds. Real engine turning is way cool if you have the patience and a drill press suitable to accomodate the size of your project...

Eastwood's "Diamond Clear" is as good as any topcoat to keep oxidation at bay. It yellows less than some others as it ages, and lasts longer than any automotive clear I have tried. All clears on aluminum do fail eventually so be prepared to re-do every so often.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:12 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

the aluminum will be used for a furniture line that i'm developing. i'm trying to keep the use of air-born chemicals down so anything thats a rub on/brush on would be better.... or even straight from a can..

the aluminum is not going to be polished but sanded down with a 320-400 grit to give it a dull look.....

a sample of an older table i built.. you get the idea

Last edited by onaqwst; 08-26-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
71white
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Krylon clear satin finish on such a project. Just dust it on, very light coat is all it takes that way it doesn't look like it is coated and looks more natural.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:48 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

yeah.... i dont like the clear coated look....trying to keep it 'raw' looking

Get notified of new replies

To bare aluminum sanded then????

Quick Reply: bare aluminum sanded then????