Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Anyone use West Systems 105 epoxy system as body filler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 AM
77TexVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone use West Systems 105 epoxy system as body filler?

Hi everyone,
I have completed all the glassing and body mods I wanted using the West Systems 105 epoxy resin system and am just about ready to paint the whole car in SPI primer.

My default approach was to paint it in SPI epoxy primer, then complete the remaining body filler work where needed (shouldn't be much) and follow the paint steps outlined in the numerous posts here.

Question:
I want to complete as much body work as possible using epoxy system products. Why can't I just use the West Systems surface filling products like the 406 or 407 fillers with the same epoxy to complete my bodywork? I know it is harder to sand, but are there any other problems? It seems like this is exactly what is used for fairing on boats, etc.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/product-selection-chart

So what I'd like to do is
(1) Use my trusty West System 105 epoxy resin/hardener, add in some West Systems thickening agent like the 407 filler or 406 filler and continue my body work with that (like smoothing out the transitions of the flares to the body, etc).
(2) Then primer it with SPI epoxy

My whole goal is to use as little "non-epoxy" (e.g. polyester body filler) products as possible. Let me know if you see any problems with this.

Thanks!
Michael
Old 11-06-2009, 09:48 PM
c4sailor
Pro

Can't speak to using it n the car but that's all we use when fairinig keels on racing sailboats. The fillers, microbaloons, etc. I swear by West Systems Epoxy products for my race prep of the sailboat. I don't know if there would be any issues with priming over it. Probably a call to tech support at Gudgeon Bros (in Michigan) - makers of West Systems and/or the mfg'r of the primer would get an answer. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:50 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

sounds like a plan to me. i'd use clear epoxy if it would buff
Old 11-09-2009, 01:36 AM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd stick w/407 for the filler; 406 is considered in the adhesive catagory. It's (407) not difficult to sand--80 grit is fine to cut it down. The more 407 that's added in the mix, the easier it is to sand, yet still maintains its strength. Stay away from the 410 filler. After fairing, give it a sealer coat of 105 resin/hardener. Scuff it before primer. I'm following the same process that you are. The above information I received from West Systems.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 AM
77TexVette
Instructor

Excellent. Thanks for all the replies. I know I'd never make any money as a professional bodyman, but this over-engineering habit must be in my german genes.

The first glass I laid down was with SMC epoxy from Eckler's, which worked very well and was a bit thicker than the West Systems epoxies.
However, nothig beats the convenience of having two containers of West Systems epoxy with their pumps attached - no measuring, no errors, no mess. I have been very happy with their products.

It is quite amazing how hard this stuff gets, but this is actually exactly what I want as a foundation. I will try to finish up the job in the next week and will post pics.

Michael.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

west is a very good system . i don't think i ever heard of a failure with epoxy resin .i use it and build the surface with spi epoxy.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use West Systems 105 epoxy system as body filler?

Quick Reply: Anyone use West Systems 105 epoxy system as body filler?