Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What actually determines the cost of painting a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default What actually determines the cost of painting a Corvette

I have been checking out this section for a while and am wondering what actually determines the cost of painting a Corvette. I have been reading quotes of 7-10k for a paint job. So lets say the cost to paint is $10k. What does the customer "get" for 10k?

Does 75% of the 10k covers the costs of materials, stripping, repairing damaged areas on the vehicle, shooting the primer? And does the remaining 25% covers the cost of actually painting the car? Help please.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Figure $2,500-$3,000 to shoot a car with a quality BC/CC. That's after it is in primer, blocked and ready to mask & shoot. Price includes cutting & buffing after paint.

So to that add $5,000-7,000 for the average strip, repair, and get it into primer & blocked. Some cars will need more, some less.

If anyone wants significantly less than that I'd start worrying about which corners will be cut.

Note that if you want a top-notch job you'll probably have to pay more... such as glassing the seams, 3/16" perfectly even panel gaps etc.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

*** PROFESSIONAL RESPONSE***
EVERYBODY does it THEIR way...but here is a bit of my way.
When I do one...there is so much dis-assembly and parts inventory that takes place. Also at the same time...missing fasteners are recorded so when the re-assembly takes place...all fasteners are set and ready to go. Usually I will find "BOZO" repair issues that have nothing to do with paint...and should be repaired so no future problems arrise. Such as electrical/lighting issues for one to think of. All of this takes time....but it pays off.

Many parts that are removed have to be "freshened up" because if they are not...then they will look like crap and I prefer doing it right...so when a customer picks up their Corvette. The first impression shows that it was detailed to make everything "flow". Such as undercoating wheel wells, cleaning the engine compartment, suspension, inside the wheels...those details that make it so when the car us unveiled...there is no part of the exterior of the car that is dirty and would show up and attract your eye to it...and then the customer would say" Why didn't you clean that???" The interior is addressed also....and in many cases is removed so proper painting can be performed where the interior contacts the area of the jambs that need to be stripped and painted.

It is all in the details, previous damage, cost of materials and the "tricks" of the trade that many of us perform to make the job OUR OWN.

Replacing door hinge bushings so that they do not have to be done AFTER the job is completed....REGARDLESS. Removing old sealant that is cracking away from the body and re-applying a better product. Fitting ALL panels to make sure gaps and seams are correct.
Water-testing the car BEFORE the job is even started so if there is a water leak problem in the interior...it can be corrected....and NOT found out AFTER the job is done.
Checking any issues with the "birdcage" for those years that have been known to have issues for bad rust and structural integrity issues which CAN possibly come back and cause a problem in the future with panel alignment. Even checking the fuel lines, brake lines and body to frame mounts...to make sure that they are OK...because I would rather replace them BEFORE I start...instead of after the car is buffed out and ready for delivery. And many more AREAS that I check when I get a Corvette in for an OVERALL paint job.

"THINGS" are what they are. ANd I have found that if a customer is notified of any potential problems...they can decide on if they want to repair them or not. BUT it is noted so there is no misunderstanding that I am lookinig out for their investment and best interests....and NOT just trying to "jack" the bill up. Most of the time it can be CLEARLY seen....and NOT my imagination.

It also boils down to those of us who do Corvettes. We have done enough to basically know what we are in store for. Sometimes we get "surprised" with an issue from a previous "BOZO" repair that could not be detected at first glance. That is why there is a range of cost to do these types of cars. There are NO TWO that are the same...or at least in the past 20+ years have I had two that were alike.....there is always some "DRAMA" to unfold....somewhere on the car....that IS for sure.

"DUB"
Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In real estate the buzzwords are "location, location, location". On collector cars the words are "condition, condition, condition". A two owner, garaged since new 1966 coupe which spent it's entire life in a climate controlled garage would likely need less correction than a basketcase 1966 coupe recovered from a field in west Texas after sitting uncovered in the sun since 1982. Dub's note on "collateral damage" is important as well since a $10,000 dollar paint job sitting on 1965 Impala steelies shod with Mobil F70-14 whitewalls looks less than stellar no matter the quality of the bodywork or paint. Each car is an individual with a unique history, and a unique set of problems to be corrected to look great.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:31 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I used to think that $10K to paint a vette was outrageous. So when it was time to do mine, I worked along the body guy and put it the same amount of hours. After seeing (and doing!) what is required for a quality job on a vette I think $10K is a bargain. I know I wouldn't do it again for a measly $10K!

Get notified of new replies

To What actually determines the cost of painting a Corvette

Quick Reply: What actually determines the cost of painting a Corvette