Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint Chip Repair

Old 10-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Vette Go
No "Panties in a bunch" here Joe. Old saying, "There's more that one way to skin a cat"!! I am very comfortable with the toothpick method and it has worked well for me for years. Others may find it more comfortable with the paint pen. Whatever works, right? Get R Done!! LOL

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:04 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

thought I'd add this - another application tool. most folks call them "microbrush' - available in various sizes. I've used them, not only in chip repair, but also paint repair detailing. best source - hobby lobby, or fleabay.

The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (02-07-2022)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:58 PM
M2Pilot
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
I just posted this on an open thread - thought i'd add it to a sticky -

I've had my best luck using a paint pen. problem with toothpicks, brushes supplied with touch-up paint, paper match sticks, etc., none seem to work (for me) since you can't regulate the amount of paint and paint flow. they all tend to put a blob of paint on the chip cavity. give the paint pen a try, and watch the video.

Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen (you can source one on fleabay) --

watch this video --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz-zW-cLdUs

you should be able to get touchup paint from the dealer, or from the paint code, from any specialty supplier. I watched a detail guy demonstrate this at a corvette show about 15 years ago - took me awhile to find the painting pen - had no idea what they were called, or where to look.

I've had my best success with this method.

EDIT: BEFORE ANYONE GETS THEIR PANTIES IN A BUNCH, THE PAINT PEN IS JUST A TOOL FOR APPLYING THE PAINT. IT DOES NOT GUARENTEE RESULTS.
I've used this tool with good success, especially on really small paint chips.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:21 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Vette Go
5. Once the paint is built up sufficiently, it is time to break out the sandpaper (the scary part!!). Cut the 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper into strips the width of the block. Wrap the paper around the block and dunk it into water. Using a circular motion with minimum pressure (DO NOT USE STRAIGHT BACK AND FORTH MOTION - THIS WILL LEAVE SCRATCHES), sand the bump down wetting the paper frequently. If the paper "clogs" up, replace it, the buildup will scratch your surface. Examine the surface periodically to see how much is left. When you are close to the original surface, replace the 2000 grit with the 2500 grit. Repeat the sanding/wetting process until you have a flat, smooth surface.
For this step, how do you protect the surrounding existing paint from getting sanded down? Put masking/painters tape around the new paint bump?
Old 02-15-2022, 12:53 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Hello ArmChair.... If you use a hard block for a sanding block and just concentrate you efforts on the built up paint you applied to the chip, you shouldn't actually engage the surrounding paint. Sand, check progress, sand, check progress. You are concentrating on the build up of the chip area paint. Using the grits of wet/dry sandpaper I recommended shouldn't have an effect on the existing paint. Just go slow and concentrate of the chip area.

Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Chip Repair