Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Garage Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DUB
I do not have the years it would take to type out all the potention issues that you can run into....that I have encountered in the past 20+ years. PM me if you want my shop number so you can call me and I will be more than willing to talk to you about any issue that you feel needs answering.

BUT...I will write this. IT has EVERYTHING to do with your ATTITUDE, DEDICATION and PATIENCE, ATTENTION to DETAIL and FOCUS.

SO...if you have these five qualities. Or at least are willing to acquire them. The job will be quite do-able.

BUT...from experience. Looking at your car as an entire project. Seeing how you have never done this type of thing...is the WRONG THING to do. Look at this "project" ONE PIECE at a time. And by this I mean, when you begin to dis-assemble your car for paint stripping. CONCENTRATE ON ONE AREA AT A TIME..instead of "jumping" from one thing to another and getting flustered because NOTHING is getting completed 100%. I would much rather you spend a Saturday removing your front bumper and other components CORRECTLY...and getting that COMPLETED...versus...taking one taillight out, a door handle and mirror etc. Doing it by section...will give you the confidence to further expand your capabilities in "multi-tasking" and taking on different areas at one time. BUT for starting out..if not through the entire process. If you concentrate in one area....and this is the hard part. IGNORING EVERYTHING ELSE. At the end of the day you will see movement in the "project" and that an area that is getting close completion..if not completed. And this will give you a sense of accomplishment...and allow you to not to have to re-visit this area. Because IF you stopped it only half way completed...and started on another area. You are opening up "Pandora's box".

Nothing is worse than having twenty things going or started and NOTHING COMPLETED. Which is EASY to do when you start on on a "project" like this.
Carrying these un-completed repairs in your head will be your down-fall...and can wear you down...thus making your motivation suffer...to the point where it will seem NEVER ENDING. And soon after that...the project is NO LONGER ENJOYABLE. I have been doing this for a long time and EVERYDAY...when I unlock my shop doors...I am like a kid with a pocket full of quarters going to the candy store. I LOVE WHAT I DO. Sure...there are DAYS that test me to NO END ...but the LOVE of it has not lessened a bit. Always a challange around the corner.

"DUB"

It is said that 90% of car restoration projects started at home are not completed by the person that started them. I believe it is because the person starting the project under estimates the project and looses focus and becomes over whelmed. Dub if you ever write a book I will buy it.

Scott
Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Originally Posted by crossed
I wish i could get in on mine. I watch it sit there and think of the day when I'll be able to spend real time with it
Crossed This is my biggest fear.. I dont want to be the guy that has his vette sitting, waiting. No offense to you, I dont know your story. I just know that my vette is driveable and looks good to other people, just not to me. I don't want to start this and loose interest.

That is why I'm fixing a lot of little things on it to see if I stick with it. We will see.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Roco, I am totally with you on that.. I'll be at the book signing!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Roco71

It is said that 90% of car restoration projects started at home are not completed by the person that started them. I believe it is because the person starting the project under estimates the project and looses focus and becomes over whelmed. Dub if you ever write a book I will buy it.

Scott
Scott,
Oddly enough...I have one in the works right now...dealing with my view and experiences/processes of doing a restoration/repair of a Corvette.

"DUB"
Old 09-14-2010, 06:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by BanGnGearS
That is why I'm fixing a lot of little things on it to see if I stick with it. We will see.
BanGnGearS,
You are showing your WISDOM. You and ONLY YOU...know YOU.

Regardless of your desicion...like I earlier wrote...IF you need information to provide another person who MAY do your car for you...if that is your decision...I (we) on the Corvette Forum will be glad to give or two cents worth on any issue you may encounter.

"DUB"
Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just posted some photos of my vette that i painted in the garage. I would say it wasnt bad for a first timer. It took me almost a year of weekend work to completely strip it and repaint it. The garage isnt the ideal place but it WILL work if you set up the proper spray booth. I bought some really nice guns because I was painting two cars and the cost of spending 5000 a car was a little too much for me to handle. Email me any questions you have because ive made all kinds of mistakes and can pass that on to you. I have a ton of photos but this site only allows 50 photos in my garage so ill have to rotate them in the future
Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Martinez can you post a pic of the car complete? Looks pretty good from the pics I saw.

Hey DUB, if I take this on and loose interest I'm throwing it on a trailor and taking a ride to your shop!

I'm anxious to start pulling chrome off this thing but right now is not the time. I still have a lot of bills from the renovations along with some trim that isn't 100% complete. I am holding myself at bay becuase as you said, I can't have other distractions when I do this. Id like to start this winter but we will see how things go. Right now the way overtime has been coming at work I should have my bills paid down shortly. I put all the materials for my basement on credit mostly and still have a few grand left on them. Hopefully I'll be out of debt in the next few months. HOPEFULLY
Old 09-15-2010, 05:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Hey DUB, if I take this on and loose interest I'm throwing it on a trailor and taking a ride to your shop!
BanGnGearS....You are DEFINATELY NOT the FIRST... and will NOT be the LAST... to have your car in...what many of my close friends call "DUB'S Oasis".

I'm anxious to start pulling chrome off this thing but right now is not the time. I still have a lot of bills from the renovations along with some trim that isn't 100% complete. I am holding myself at bay becuase as you said, I can't have other distractions when I do this. Id like to start this winter but we will see how things go. Right now the way overtime has been coming at work I should have my bills paid down shortly. I put all the materials for my basement on credit mostly and still have a few grand left on them. Hopefully I'll be out of debt in the next few months. HOPEFULLY
Take it one small step at a time. I did not mean that you could not get started....and by distractions I meant that when it gets to the areas of the car that are "unknown " to you in regards to repair/paintinig/etc. THAT is when you do not want to be distracted.

Un-bolting parts ...is a basic "no-brainer". Getting them back on correctly...is when you do not want to be distracted.

"DUB"
Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

Ill post some finished photos of the car this weekend
Old 09-20-2010, 10:17 PM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

i put up 5 or 6 photos. I still have some buffing and aligning to do but its almost done
Old 09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Very nice... This was the first you've painted right?
Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 PM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

thats the first full car paint job. I painted a hood on my brothers old car to practice and it turned out nice. I found prepping the car to be the most important thing. taking lots of pictures and logging all the bolts and nuts was important also. A good spray gun can make a bad painter good. Thats what someone said on this site and its true. I used a GTI devilbiss gun for the base and a Iwata 400 (i think thats the model number) for the clear. I also used a devilbiss basic gun for the primer. I bought a devilbiss dryer for the air line and used a nice sized air compressor. I think its a 5 or 6 horspower compressor. I used a really good website for support. http://www.mckennasgarage.com/ This site was extremely valuable!!!!!! I also have a 69 jag im restoring now so this site was great. I built my paint booth similiar to his. I just used the tarps in my photos for some touch up work. I will post some of the problems I ran into while painting at home and sloppy painting techniques that messed me up in a bit after work.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:46 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I've painted a few cars in my past, "in the garage". As many have already said, the devil is in the prep work. One thing that nobody has yet to mention, is that for us 'old timers', acrylic lacquer was far more forgiving than today's urethanes or BC/CC finishes. Acrylic lacquer was very quick drying, and since it has to be wet sanded/buffed anyway, mistakes were easy to correct....
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I've painted a few cars in my past, "in the garage". As many have already said, the devil is in the prep work. One thing that nobody has yet to mention, is that for us 'old timers', acrylic lacquer was far more forgiving than today's urethanes or BC/CC finishes. Acrylic lacquer was very quick drying, and since it has to be wet sanded/buffed anyway, mistakes were easy to correct....
PREP is PARAMOUNT!!!!! and is where 90+% of the time is spent.

AHHH YES...acrylic lacquer. ALMOST a thing of the past. BUT...in many areas of the country, acrylic lacquer is NOT AVAILABLE. Illegal to use due to environmental "stuff" for that area or state. And as for paint....lacquer can not do what the newer urethane can do...as you probably know...in regards to fighting against environmental substances. It truely never cures...and can be soften and ruined by bird droppings, etc. I do love lacquer though. I learned how to paint by using it. Candies, flakes, flip-flop pearls, murals, graphics, "cob webbing", etc. All done with lacquer. Those were the days. Thanks for the "flash back".

"DUB"
Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Woodsters
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Look at post # 64 in the thread I have copied below. Like others have said, I encourage you to do this! It is possible, but be ready with zip lock bags, boxes, sharpie markers, etc. and take lots and lots of photos. Building a paint booth in your home garage will work, but your prep work is where you'll spend the most time. Removing all the old layers of paint will take a lot of time. Especially for someone (like me) who does this only as a hobby. After you remove all the parts you'll need time to polish the chrome and clean the old adhesive/sealant. Take time to get the body seams right.

Be ready to spray primer and sand... a LOT. As you go over the car, you'll probably find many spots you'll want to smooth or repair. Divots and scratches that you don't notice now will show up.

Though I've done the body work and primer on my '73, I have made the decision to pay a friend to spray the final color. He'll come over to my place (probably this Friday or Saturday) and will spray the Base and Clear. Why? Because he's a friend, will do it for next to nothing and has done it a hundred times. If I didn't know him... I'd probably paint it myself (I did spray our '46 inside the same "plastic" booth with good results).

If you've got the time (2+ months), space (2 bays of your garage, plus storage room for parts) and equipment (5 hp compressor, tools, good lighting, etc) go for it! You should be very satisfied with the results.

Be sure to send photos! David

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ifes-73-a.html
Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
34RedRage
Race Director

i have painted numerous cars in my garage, prep is the biggest obstacle but never had any real problems here.....maybe a little dust in the clear but nothing that cannot be sanded and buffed out. had a few show winners come from my garage paint jobs, not to brag or anything!!
last job did last summer....

Last edited by 34RedRage; 09-30-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:12 PM
ktchir
Burning Brakes

DUB....some very good advice and information.

Please put me on your book list

Last edited by ktchir; 11-02-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Paint Job

Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by ktchir
DUB....some very good advic and information.

Please put me on your book list
Thanks. When I FINALLY get it done...the members here are the forum will be the first to know. BUT...there are so many areas that need attention on a Corvette...I am trying to make this book very complete.

"DUB"
Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 AM
RockinRob
Heel & Toe

It's not a vette, but I did my first ever full paint/resto in my garage.

I am extremely please with how it turned out.

This was my first time for bodywork and paint - actually first time for a resto of any kind. Took me 6 years so far and I'm very pleased with how well it came out. I shot it in base/clear, metallic silver, even wet sanded and buffed it mself - again first time for that also.

Rob
Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 PM
icemaiden73
Intermediate

Default painting your baby

hi there

i was where you were two weeks ago

mines an 85 purple well was it reminded me of barney..YUK shes now called black betty

I did most of the work myself and left the actual laying of the color to the paint dude.

First of all i just dismantled the car. Took off hood side mirrors headlights bottom fenders etc also took off door hardware and scrubbed em back to silver someone had painted it before never bothered to have it masked off so there was blow off all over....just take off the hardware throw em in gun cleanner for the nite and wash em off in the mornin

after i dismantled I washed the parts and car down with gun wash to make sure all or any grease dirt was gone.

Then i turned on old ac/dc tunes and rabbed a beer and 400 grit paper and started sanding the clear coat....now trick is here is use your palm not fingers and make sure all your parts dont have any gloss on them.

Next little bit of etchin primer and lil fill here and there on problems spots. round one headliht and the antenea needed a lil...the painter did this took him like 1 hour tops.

next came painting day
OHHH GLORY DAY three coats of my black with white green blue mother of pearls into it so it kinda throws hints of color in the sun.

after the color went on looked good BUT then came the clear......three coats of clear and OHMYGAWD BEAUTIFUL.....took all day for the three coats of color then the three of clear then left to dry a day now im puttin her all together. Actually tommorrow is the day it leaves the shop and im having it all buffed out just to catch any inperfections in the clear as it was done in a garage not a booth...

Your prep work sanding and what not will affect the end result soooo take your time be picky and give yourself lots of time also keep the dust down as much as possible...i think i clearned the garae more in the past week then i cleaned the house in years. I also would through water on the garage floor to help keep dust down....wore a paint suit on paint day tied my hair back and wore a hoddy so as not to leave dna on my car

soooo im just finnishing up tommorow wish me luck at the buffers and ill put pics on my profile soon

at any rate YOU CAN DO IT

just take your time and pay attention to cleanliness and make sure all glossy gone.. I painted over the other paint just scaratched the clear that was there and it looks FANTASTIC

ohhh final cost

my work priceless aka free

paint and supplies(clear sandpaper primer paint plastic and paper hardner sealer etc 1000
30 an hour to painter 8 hours 240.00 well i ave him 500 for the day.

sooo did it myself bouht all supplies piainter got 500 for a days work total cost 1500.00

also just cause it all painted now had to buy new emblems and what not and matts to match new color all bouht throuh forums add another 200

sure as heck beats 5000 to 10000 to bring itto someone else

besides saving money i also know alot more about my car then i did before as i also pulled out all the interior carpet and moldings and painted em all too

same idea clean em up with paint thiner wipe down scrach em with 400 grit and bouht just a sray can oem black and spray them peice by piece and reinstalled em next day

the carpets were beige painted em black with the vinal fabric paint,,.... just brought em down first to the local car wash self serve option and hosed em all down with a foam degreassor and left em dry to the next day

takes actually a few coats each
after each coat is applied takes about an hour between coats you have to comb the fibers in the next direction to lift the fibres i found that it took a good 5 coats to et em right....then i scotch gaurded em afterwords.

the dash compuntents like stereo bezel and shift plate and door sills i did in a metallic rafite looks awesome...
cost oem black for trim 2 cans 10 bucks each

carpet paint well that was like 12 bucks a can went through about 8 of em easy
scotch ard 12 bucks 1 can

i also painted the wheels with a grafite black wheel paint.....dont go chrome or silver its a hard color to lay and ends up looking **@#! anyways go mat black of like raffite or new wheels work too
after the paint cleared i used the high preformace clear 12 a can again

sooooooonow you know my costs on all

Last edited by icemaiden73; 10-24-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: had to add

Quick Reply: Garage Paint Job