Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Garage Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:09 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Garage Paint Job

Whose done it? I know that Lars has painted many cars in his garage but I haven't been able to locate any pictures of the results that people have had. I know "its all in the prep", but pictures and feedback would be great.

I've been messing with the idea to change my 71 back to the original Steel Cities Grey color, and I can't see myself spending the type of cash people are asking if I can do this myself. I have a 3 bay garage so room is not a problem. I'm just nervous of what I might find under the 3-4 colors of paint that are on it already.

I'd like to get any and all input on this process as I can. I want to know all the headaches that you have run into. I've never painted a car before so I'm nervous to start on my own car .. I'm not dead set on painting it myself, I'd just like to hear from the guys here who have actually done it, and how the end result was. THANKS
Old 09-07-2010, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not have the years it would take to type out all the potention issues that you can run into....that I have encountered in the past 20+ years. PM me if you want my shop number so you can call me and I will be more than willing to talk to you about any issue that you feel needs answering.

BUT...I will write this. IT has EVERYTHING to do with your ATTITUDE, DEDICATION and PATIENCE, ATTENTION to DETAIL and FOCUS.

SO...if you have these five qualities. Or at least are willing to acquire them. The job will be quite do-able.

BUT...from experience. Looking at your car as an entire project. Seeing how you have never done this type of thing...is the WRONG THING to do. Look at this "project" ONE PIECE at a time. And by this I mean, when you begin to dis-assemble your car for paint stripping. CONCENTRATE ON ONE AREA AT A TIME..instead of "jumping" from one thing to another and getting flustered because NOTHING is getting completed 100%. I would much rather you spend a Saturday removing your front bumper and other components CORRECTLY...and getting that COMPLETED...versus...taking one taillight out, a door handle and mirror etc. Doing it by section...will give you the confidence to further expand your capabilities in "multi-tasking" and taking on different areas at one time. BUT for starting out..if not through the entire process. If you concentrate in one area....and this is the hard part. IGNORING EVERYTHING ELSE. At the end of the day you will see movement in the "project" and that an area that is getting close completion..if not completed. And this will give you a sense of accomplishment...and allow you to not to have to re-visit this area. Because IF you stopped it only half way completed...and started on another area. You are opening up "Pandora's box".

Nothing is worse than having twenty things going or started and NOTHING COMPLETED. Which is EASY to do when you start on on a "project" like this.
Carrying these un-completed repairs in your head will be your down-fall...and can wear you down...thus making your motivation suffer...to the point where it will seem NEVER ENDING. And soon after that...the project is NO LONGER ENJOYABLE. I have been doing this for a long time and EVERYDAY...when I unlock my shop doors...I am like a kid with a pocket full of quarters going to the candy store. I LOVE WHAT I DO. Sure...there are DAYS that test me to NO END ...but the LOVE of it has not lessened a bit. Always a challange around the corner.

"DUB"
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

I hear what you are saying about how overwhelming it can become. I've done an engine build on a previously own vette and it was stressful at times. I learned a lot from that smaller project though. Especially labeling and taking pictures.

Im really up in the air about tackeling this project because I need to justify the money that I spend on this car. I can't see handing someone 6-8k to do something that I feel I can accomplish on my own. It may take a little longer but I feel that I can do it.

I just need the reassurance that people have done this with good results.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

When it came time to paint my '71 I had a pro shoot the paint and buff it out. A buddy and me did the body work and shot the primer. When we took it to the painter it was ready for base/clear. The painting/color sand and buff was $1800 labor and worth every penny.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

how many hours do you think that you spent on body work? Did you ever do body work before?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:47 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 40 hours labor stripping 4 coats of paint off my 77. It makes a f&*$##$%@@ mess no matter how you do it. I used razor blades then a sander. Do a search about stripping paint and you'll have lots of opinions and advice on the subject. I have an additional 40 or so hours invested in crack/divot/hole repair and lots of wet sanding. I probably will spend another 20 or so before I spray any color. Then another 10 or so perfecting the topcoats.

There are a number of tools which you will need to do this and have it come out well to include (but not necessarily limited to) a 5HP minimum air compressor with a quality oil/moisture trap system, a quality spray gun, a DA sander, grinder,die grinder, saw horses to stand assorted parts on, and an assortment od sanding blocks of various shapes and flexibilities and a quality NIOSH approved paint respirator. You will also require a work area that can get dusty, filthy and muddy from wet sanding work, and contain the toxic fumes from stripper, primers fillers and paint without impacting the interior of your home.

If you have all the tools required up front, your cost in materials will range from $300.00 to about $1K depending on what you choose for fillers, primers and topcoats.

So... if you have a suitable workspace, the desire to learn, about three weeks spare time before the spring season, and more dogged attention for details than you could possibly know as yet, this is quite possible. It will be hard, frustrating and you will likely have to do several steps more than once before it passes your inspection; BUT nothing beats the feeling you get when a passerby comments on the nice paint, and you say "Thanks. I did it myself!"
Old 09-08-2010, 05:13 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by BanGnGearS
how many hours do you think that you spent on body work? Did you ever do body work before?
At least 1 day/week for 3 years... there was a lot of body work...

Yes, I had done body work before, but only on metal cars. My buddy has extensive experience on 'vettes.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

The hours spent on body work is something that you really do not want to concern yourself about. It will drive you insane. Like I previously wrote. Taking one part at a time will give teh experience and confidence that you need to either decide to complete the project or pass it off you someone else....without getting so deep into it...it actually costs you more money due to getting ahead of yourself in the process.

If you choose to do this yourself...and you keep the communication lines open at all times... I won't let you get ahead of yourself and create more problems...and I am sure that MANY others on the forum would do the same. WE are a community of people willing to help those who ask for help or advice. What you choose to do with this help or advice is all on you.

Think of it this way...it may help. When you were a baby...learning to walk. And constantly falling down and getting hurt or whatever. You kept trying to stand and walk even though these learning steps were at a price. Then...one day... you could stand and take a step without "face-planting" yourself on the floor. Then you could walk...and then run. This process is do-able...but you and only you know if you have what it takes to make it happen. I am very good at what I do...but I am NOT super human. I am a guy....that has gotten very good at what he loves to do. If you want this...and feel the pride in knowing that YOU did it. Then do it. If you feel that you are NOT ABLE to do it...then spend the $$$ and have it done. BUT starting out in "baby steps" is the way to go. Trying to RUN into this project headfirst....is a BIG MISTAKE.

"DUB"
Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

DUB, I will haunt you for a long time!!!! HAHAAHHAAHAA.. I appreciate all of your info, and you are right. All of you will help me in one form or another. ALL OF YOU!!!!!!! I'm more of a head first type of guy so bear with me......(sorry just got back from an IBEW meeting)

Last edited by BanGnGearS; 09-08-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 AM
procketus
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

3 yrs. or so ago I repainted my truck because of some paint damage and the clearcoat was gone on the roof and hood.
Figured a few weeks of stripping and taking out the door dings. Yea right, turned into a 3 month love/hate relationship. Finally got it all in primer and a friend shot the Base and clear for me for 300 bucks. Brought it home and spent another week of buffing and polishing after the paint settled in.

Thats what I used for the work shop.

And this is what the truck looks like.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 AM
BanGnGearS
Racer

I think my biggest obstacle would be the time I'd have to actually get in the garage and work on it. The next few weeks I have some minor mechanical work to do, so I'm going to see how many hours I get to actually work on it without interruption. Its tuff with a 1 year old. This will give me an idea of how long this will actually take.

I work shift work so I don't have the normal 9-5 schedule. The way I see it, I can get in the garage for a few hours on my nights off.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB, I will haunt you for a long time!!!! HAHAAHHAAHAA..
OH...you won't be "haunting me" as you put it. I feel that you would be an PERFECT EXAMPLE of a guy who wants to do it ...and is SMART ENOUGH to ask of assistance from those who have done this type of project...or those who do it for a living. You are not the first forum member I have tried to help and will not be the last. I am here for you...for the long haul. I can not speak (write) for others on the forum...but I am pretty sure that they would not leave you "hanging out to dry". For the most part.. Corvette Forum members possess a "touch of CLASS" within them.... much like the type of car that many of us own and love.

I think my biggest obstacle would be the time I'd have to actually get in the garage and work on it. The next few weeks I have some minor mechanical work to do, so I'm going to see how many hours I get to actually work on it without interruption. Its tuff with a 1 year old. This will give me an idea of how long this will actually take.

I work shift work so I don't have the normal 9-5 schedule. The way I see it, I can get in the garage for a few hours on my nights off.
If you are not worried about how fast/long this project is going to take...then having your free-time being spent on something that you enjoy ( even though it can be stressful at times) is "what it is". It is all about you having SOME satisfaction in doing this...because the second it becomes a chore...or you loose interest...and throw in the "towel". Then some of the "luster" will be taken away from even owning a Corvette....because you had put all that you could into it and got frusterated....and did not get anything out of it but a bunch of "wasted time"....and just the sight of it will make you sick to your stomach. The ONLY reason why I am writing this is because I, from time to time, get a Corvette that was started and never completed by the owner, and the look on their face and their actions CLEARLY shop that they are FED UP with it and do not want to think about it...or even look at it (until it is completed)...and only write checks and pay to get it completed.

SO you have to try to make it enjoyable...much like the time you spend with you family. That is more than likely the best part of your day. AND doing this project should come close to that feeling. You should not feel ...when doing this project...that you are being FORCED into it. You should be relaxed and willing to expand your abilities.

I pass no judgements on whatever your choice is in this matter. And knowing that you have a one year old....spending time with your family IS and ALWAYS will be the best time spent in your life. NO CORVETTE in my shop will ever consume me to the point where I neglect my wife and keeping a smile on her face everyday. I can walk away from them at any time when more important PRIORITES come into play.

"DUB"
Old 09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Dub thanks.. Its people like you on this forum that make it that much better.. I really think that I am going to do this, Im just not sure exactly when I will start. I bought my house last year and just finished a complete interior renovation. I gutted the first floor to the studs. Re-did all the electric, plumbing, and drywall. After we were settled in I decided to start on my basement. Full bathroom, Laundry room, play area, bedroom.. All the reciepts for material I have would make you sick. Needless to say the past 18 months have been crazy for me, between working 12 hour rotating shifts, overtime, remodeling my house, and being with my daughter on my days off ( whatever those are). My wife made me promise that I would not be starting any more projects for a while. So this is why I would only really be working on this after they are asleep. Mostly between the 9pm-12am range.

Dub when I do tackle this I am going to lean on you for support. I feel that I can complete the body work with minimal problems. What scares me is when I get to my base coat. Spraying the steel city grey makes me nervous that you will see strips from laying the color wrong. I know this is a long time out but that is whats really on my mind.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:35 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i've painted two cars in my garage. as dub said, prep work is the biggest challenge. it's time consuming and makes a real mess.
other than the normal preparation of the painting area to control dust and dirt, the real problem is the paint gun. the first car was painted with a $100 home depot gun. fought orange peel at every step. had the car down to smooth glass. sprayed epoxy, and had to resand all the peel. resprayed epoxy, same thing. sprayed base, reasand. sprayed base again, resand. sprayed clear, sand and finally buff. it turned out nice, but a lot of wasted work, especially when you consider the washing and remasking between sandings.
the second car was different. bought an iwata gun. sprayed epoxy, touched up a few spots, recoated with epoxy, sprayed base and clear. a better looking job in one third the time. there's a few minor blemishes in areas that you don't normally see, but for a garage job it's (if i may say so) pretty damn good.
both cars were painted with nason paint and spi epoxy and clear. i like the spi epoxy because it gives you a 7 day window to recoat without sanding. for amateurs like us (who can't expect to get perfect jobs like dub) but want to do it themselves, after spraying a few coats of epoxy and developing a technique, the hardest part is controlling your nerves when you've got color in the gun!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
npbassman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've painted quite a few vehicles in both garages and downdraft/crossdraft booths. For me, the prep is what it is no matter where it's performed. It's messy and it's going to take you longer than you thought so you may as well tackle that at home.

As far as shooting color in your garage, I prefer to keep it to small panels and not entire cars because for me, it's just so tough to control the garage environment during the shoot, especially if you've prepped it in the same bay. There are some guys out there that can shoot show quality cars in the garage but for some reason it ain't me without a lot of color sanding afterwards.

For an entire car, you can probably still save some money by renting a booth plus some consumables (tape, paper, thinner) at your local body shop.

Here's a thread that I posted a while back on my C4 paint repair project. Since then I've shot my license plate filler, a couple of side mouldings, and I'm getting ready to do my targa top.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pain...s-weekend.html
Old 09-10-2010, 04:51 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Wow that panel in the thread you posted looks great!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Dub when I do tackle this I am going to lean on you for support. I feel that I can complete the body work with minimal problems. What scares me is when I get to my base coat. Spraying the steel city grey makes me nervous that you will see strips from laying the color wrong. I know this is a long time out but that is whats really on my mind.
BanGnGearS....
When you did the renovation on your house...like you mentioned in your post. Did you worry about what color you were going to paint the walls WHILE you were in the process of re-plumbing, wiring and installing fresh sheetrock. I DON'T THINK YOU DID.

SO DO NOT worry about the color. GET THAT OUT OF YOUR HEAD....COMPLETELY. You are getting WAY to many steps ahead of yourself...like you kinda mentioned....and THOSE THOUGHTS will mess you up.

TRUST ME...when I write this. Like "jnb5101" wrote. Having a GOOD paint gun will take a lot of the POTENTIAL problems out of painting a car. BUT...eventhough I use a different make of paint gun...and have used many other paint guns...I will write that having a good paint gun gives you a slight advantage. IT is not a guarantee that the job will come out perfect. There are way to many variables that come into play during a paint job that can change it's outcome. And I am not even going to begin to list them...because the list is endless. BUT the benefit that you HAVE is a community of people who have done this and can help you if you have a PROBELM or ISSUE.

All of US here on the forum will help you "cross that bridge" when you come to it...in regards to your FEAR of the "steel cities gray". And I will convey all of my tricks to you so when you go to shoot the car...your confidence level will be so high...that you will have NO FEAR.

ALL good painters...when starting out.... FEAR metallics or pearl paint jobs to some degree. It is much easier to apply a solid color...due to not having to worry about metallics/pearls being correctly and evenly applied....but...that in itself, still requires some level of precision. SO your concern is justified...but not to the point of making you feel that you can not accomplish this task. You will have a lot of time getting comfortable with your gun while applying primer. Then doing test panels to gain confidence will make it go much better also. Such as painting the doors on your shop/garage refrigerator the color of your car wouldn't hurt. OR heck...even the entire refrigerator.

WE will get you there...so don't lose sleep over this.

"DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Paint Job

Old 09-10-2010, 08:06 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

DUB you should look into being an inspirational speaker..

Thanks for your continued replies on this thread.

I've made the decision to paint the vette myself in my garage. I have some things to take care of first, but I hope to start before the new year. I need to make sure that I have nothing else going on while I tackle this.

When I do this I am going to put together a full thread of the beginning to the end and all the screw-ups in between. I will put it all together when the job is complete. Most of the threads that I came across died out before the job was actually done.

I worked in the garage last night for a couple hours. It was nice working on it at night. No one interrupting me to come inside to help with this or work on that. The phone wasn't ringing and people weren't stopping by. Just me, the vette, and the radio... Oh and a Coors light..
Old 09-11-2010, 04:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

BanGnGearS,

It is ALWAYS nice to be able to get "ZEN" with your car....and a cold beverage.

"DUB"
Old 09-11-2010, 08:55 PM
crossed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish i could get in on mine. I watch it sit there and think of the day when I'll be able to spend real time with it

Quick Reply: Garage Paint Job