Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Gelcoat on SMC

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Lights
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gelcoat on SMC

I’m helping a friend do bodywork on a 73 front end. After reading Ecklers complete guide to Corvette Fiberglass Repair and watching Ecklers video on Fiberglass repair We ordered the correct SMC compatible resin and mat to do some small repairs followed by the SMC compatible body filler we then proceeded to apply a thick coat of gelcoat. We applied the Gelcoat yesterday and allowed it to sit overnight before sanding it. Last night I then started to look on the web for info on weather or not any additional coats were needed and I now see that we may have made a mistake. No where in the Ecklers video or the Ecklers book does it say NOT to use Gelcoat on SMC. What are my options? Be gentle
Old 10-28-2010, 02:35 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 10-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

No, you should not use polyester Gel Coat on SMC due to poor adhesion to the SMC. SMC has a mold release agent added to it.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
No, you should not use polyester Gel Coat on SMC due to poor adhesion to the SMC. SMC has a mold release agent added to it.
...and will not apply gelcoat on an SMC panel.

"DUB"
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 PM
09silverfox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clueless

hey guys, this might be a dumb question, but i'll learn something if i get an answer, what is a smc panel thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 09silverfox
hey guys, this might be a dumb question, but i'll learn something if i get an answer, what is a smc panel thanks
SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) is the material GM began using to make Corvettes and other parts on vehicles. It is NOT the same as the early year Corvettes...which were a press-molded fiberglass. The resins used are different along with the material used in manufacturing these panels.
Hopefully this answered your question...which was not dumb.

"DUB"
Old 05-08-2011, 06:19 AM
09silverfox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) is the material GM began using to make Corvettes and other parts on vehicles. It is NOT the same as the early year Corvettes...which were a press-molded fiberglass. The resins used are different along with the material used in manufacturing these panels.
Hopefully this answered your question...which was not dumb.

"DUB"
thanks dub, i'm the guy that asked u about my door gutters and exposed fibers, i still need to post some pictures of the gutters and my front end that needs alot of work on my 65 coupe, there is no shop around here that really deals with fiberglass or older corvettes. wait, i shouldn't say that, there might be some that would take my money, but are they capable of doing it RIGHT.

Get notified of new replies

To Gelcoat on SMC

Quick Reply: Gelcoat on SMC