Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

SEM urethane bumper striper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SEM urethane bumper striper?

I just bought like 3 or 4 spray cans of this stuff. Will this be enough to do F & R bumpers on a 90? Any tips on getting these bumpers stripped and the stripper neutralized would be great. As well as what flexible primer to paint with till car is painted?

Here is what my bumpers are like.

I know it looks decent but some paint has peeled down to the original black primer and also some paint has spiderweb like cracks so figured best to strip and re-prime.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

MAN OH MAN !!! You are getting into a "hornets nest". This stripper may work..and then it may not. Once you break down to the raw urethane...you have to be super careful on what you allow to get on it. ANY solvent are BAD NEWS...causes the urethane to swell...and this stripper may do this also. So my best bit of advice is to CAREFULLY spray the stripper into a container...and using a "Q-tip"...apply a small dab on a "hidden from view" section of the bumper as see how many applications it will take to remove the paint. YOU may be surprised...and find that using a media blaster would be best. I ...personally/professionally WILL NOT use that stuff. It takes more time to "correct" what it does to the bumper than if I did not use it....and used another method of removing the paint.

"DUB"
Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
MAN OH MAN !!! You are getting into a "hornets nest". This stripper may work..and then it may not. Once you break down to the raw urethane...you have to be super careful on what you allow to get on it. ANY solvent are BAD NEWS...causes the urethane to swell...and this stripper may do this also. So my best bit of advice is to CAREFULLY spray the stripper into a container...and using a "Q-tip"...apply a small dab on a "hidden from view" section of the bumper as see how many applications it will take to remove the paint. YOU may be surprised...and find that using a media blaster would be best. I ...personally/professionally WILL NOT use that stuff. It takes more time to "correct" what it does to the bumper than if I did not use it....and used another method of removing the paint.

"DUB"
Well, they claim it only removes down to the black factory primer. I have a 90 rear cover I can experiment with.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

I would experiment with it first....because I can not grasp how they can control the effectiveness of the stripper and guarantee that it will only remove the clear and basecoat...and not touch the factory primer.

I wish you the best... because this is a messy/nasty job you are about to undertake. BEEN THERE...DONE THAT!!!
"DUB"
Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

I have not used that product but used a similar product made by Bull Dog.
This was on a 1979 and 80 Corvette. The urethane is probably
different on your car, but on the 79 and 80 it caused the bumpers
to permanently swell a bit. The front bumper on the 1980 was
distorted to the point that I replaced it.
The stripper worked well on old lacquar but would not remove
newer 2 K primer.

I now use a combination of a DA and hand sanding to remove
paint on urethane bumpers.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:47 PM
chrislyn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your bumper covers off and send them to Keystone .they have a paint removing process for urethane bumpers. they will come back primed and ready to paint with no headaches. Wes
Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chrislyn
Take your bumper covers off and send them to Keystone .they have a paint removing process for urethane bumpers. they will come back primed and ready to paint with no headaches. Wes
I think by the time shipping cleaned your wallet out and then the labor charge ... Might be cheaper just to buy new ones.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 AM
chrislyn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have (2) Keystone facilities near you. They would probably pick them up from you. (1) San Diego 800-995-7550 (2) Santa Fe Springs. Give them a call,what do you have to loose. I can tell you I use there service for stripping bumpers. If you weigh the cost of materials and the time and the problems that could happen ? Good luck, Wes
Old 03-22-2011, 07:19 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Well, the stripper arrived today so I will probably test this weekend on the original 90 rear bumper cover I have and see how it does before trying it on the bumpers on the car.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Seems to work pretty well with no side effects. Bumper originally appears to be red and the stripper does an excellent job at taking it down to the base red and then an easy task to sand the base red off to get to the original black primer.

I haven't tried it on the front bumper yet.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:42 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

This is how far the stripper will take the paint down. Not sure why it won't strip the original basecoat though but whats left to get to the black primer requires just a quik sanding with 220grit.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Black04Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I not a fan of chemical stripping. Too many things to go wrong as mentioned. I hope it works for you.

I would Soda blast it. I've had VERY good experiences with soda
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Black04Z06
I not a fan of chemical stripping. Too many things to go wrong as mentioned. I hope it works for you.

I would Soda blast it. I've had VERY good experiences with soda
when it is in regards to urethane bumpers only..and done by someone who knows how to do it. because if it is done incorrectly...the soda can actually eat into the urethane and cause for some additional prep/repair procedures.

Chemical stripper on urethane can create more problems than it is worth...in my opinion.
"DUB"

Get notified of new replies

To SEM urethane bumper striper?

Quick Reply: SEM urethane bumper striper?