Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Runs and Bubbles in New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:43 AM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Runs and Bubbles in New Paint

I just bought a 1967 Corvette with a frame off restoration. The car was recently painted Marlboro Maroon, but it has a few runs and bubbles in the paint. The paint looks good from a distance, but I want it to look perfect.
Can I lightly sand out these imperfections and repaint those areas again or should I repaint the entire car with a few new light coats of paint. How would I prepare the body for painting?
Ron
Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Runs can generally be taken care of. My concern would be what is causing the bubbles, I am assuming that when you say bubbles that the topcoat is actually lifting away from the body.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 AM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Default Bubbles

No, these bubbles look like there was moisture in the paint when it was sprayed. Very tiny. I have pictures of the body off the frame and it is completely sanded. I don't have a primered picture of the body, but it hopefully was primered before the paint. I would rather not primer the areas over the new paint. Can't I just wet sand the car and repaint it? Can you use a very thin layer of bondo over the paint in some spots and then sand it smooth?
Ron
Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

If you have already sanded and just have minor imperfections to fix I would use a product called Icing. Maybe some of the experts will chime in on this. If you have any pictures of the area it might help to evaluate the problem/solution.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Default Thanks

I have never heard of icing. Can you give me a product name? Thanks for your help..... Ron
Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stop. Get some high resolution pics of the trouble areas posted here so we can see what you see. If you can't clearly see what you need us to tell you about in your pic, take another in different light, or from a different angle until we will see your problem. Ask the PO what paint system was used, and if single stage (no clear coat) or double stage (clear over a base coat). If a two stage paint was used, give your best guess if the runs/craters are in the topcoat, basecoat or both. Perhaps then we can advise a next best course of action for you.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Default Will send pictures

That is a great plan. Will be send pictures when I get home and I am headed that way. I am an Airline Captain and I am leaving Dubai in a few hours for Hong Kong. I operate to Anchorage the following day and then Deadhead on United back to Monument Colorado.... Will be home on the 21st. I am so thankful that you all are helping me with this problem.... Ron
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Marks advice is one to follow, he has helped many of us.

Just so you know the Icing I was refering to is also refered to as glazing putty. I use one by USC called Icing product number USC26006. It is used to fill minor pinholes and scratches, it is self leveling and sands very easy. Any good auto paint supply house will carry some brand of it. Best of Luck.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Old 11-04-2017, 07:17 PM
ANDOLFI
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar issue with my C4, I would like to prepare the car the correct way before I have it painted. and Yes I will do the same color. I want to avoid this from happening again. I have been researching epoxy fillers but I want to know where are the spots that this happens and address all the areas before Painting. I have put some photos up...
-Peter

This was the first place I saw it.

This is the issue under the paint I can feel this. This photo is high contrast since my car is arctic white.

This happened not long ago.

This also was not long ago...

This really upsets me..
Old 11-05-2017, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Looks like the SMC has been contaminated in some way. I have seen this 'blistering' on many Corvettes like yours.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Runs and Bubbles in New Paint

Quick Reply: Runs and Bubbles in New Paint