Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

how far do i sand down the paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:34 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fixing waves requires more time sanding either filler, or primer so stop for a moment and tell us exactly how you're sanding now. I spent 35 minutes wet sanding a double wet coat of epoxy primer on my front bumper at lunch today... with 3M Imperial wet/dry paper on a flexible block. I used my garden hose to trickle a continuous small stream of water on the part as I sanded, and if I had another 15 minutes could have finished making the part ready for another priming. I added up the wet sanding hours spent on any one coat of primer on my 1977 and come up with approximately 5.5 per coat... so tell us how you are doing yours.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I supposed to be wet sanding? I've been dry sanding. i usually use a small dura block and go back in forth in foot long strokes. any help you can give me is very appriciated.... i sand and sand on the primer and i get alot of dust but it takes alot and i mean alot to get to the glass even with 180 grit paper

Last edited by 69SSC5; 08-18-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"220 grit wet would be a good next step"....."allow the car to dry"...using a continuous trickle of water, some 3M Imperial wet/dry 220 and your much exercised sanding technique your primer removal will progress much more quickly. The water lubricates the surface allowing the paper to cut effectively without clogging, and it also carries off the slurry of paint which would otherwise slow the cut. I thought my previous post was clear on that... sorry.

Quick Reply: how far do i sand down the paint