Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Fiberglass rear bumper seam on 84?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 PM
LeeLiberty
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Fiberglass rear bumper seam on 84?

Hi all!

I am restoring an 84 with the help of my father-in-law (more him than me since I live in CA and work on it during vacations) and we are replacing the front and rear bumpers with the flex fiberglass ones from Ecklers. FYI, my father-in-law has extensive experience in restoring C2's from year's past.

The car is currently in MO at his shop and is completely torn down body wise. We are going to fit the bumpers back on before painting to ensure proper fit. Rather than paint the rear bumper off the car and then trying to install without damaging the new paint (it was hard enough getting it off not worrying about paint scratching), my father-in-law is thinking we do the following:

1) Install the rear bumper unpainted.
2) Fiberglass over the seams and smooth perfectly with filler.
3) Paint.

All other panels will be painted off the car and then reinstalled. His scenario prevents having to do the removal, paint, and reinstall without damaging. Will we be asking for trouble now or later?

Thoughts?

Also, what would be the going rate to give a nice quality paint (new car quality) to this car in CA? We got a panel off paint quote from a friend's shop in MO for $3,500. My father-in-law estimates we will have $1,000 - $1,200 in materials when all said and done. Color is black btw.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

If you use enough fiberglass and epoxy resin you should need little to no filler. Your 84 is SMC construction so the epoxy resin will give you the best bond, you also want your fillers to be SMC compatable. I personally like the molded in look. Good luck with the project.

Last edited by 929nitro; 09-12-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass rear bumper seam on 84?