Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Hazy Paint (maybe faded)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM
lhinaz71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazy Paint (maybe faded)

I have a 1988 Red vette. Overall, the paint looks really good. Not sure if it's original or not. I'm guessing original. On the rear end (bumper area), the paint is a bit faded, or hazy. I bought some polishing compound and set out to polish it up. The polishing compound is white. I got a little pink on my polishing pad. This tells me, I have very little to no clear coat left on the backend of the car. I don't want to repaint the car.

Can I just put on some clear coat on the back in the affected area to protect the paint and apply some shine?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Spraygun
Tech Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you could. But I suggest you don't, it's hard to tell what you have going on with your finish. It could be an old repair and your compounding a blend, or a single stage repair. If you were to spray clear over an already problem area chances are it'll look worse.
You might try degreasing, sanding the area,prepping the rest of the panel, blending some basecoat, then clear the entire panel. If it's on the rear tail light panel it's a small job. If it's the rear deck it's still not that big of an area it you break at the side mldg and the tail light panel.

Spraygun

Quick Reply: Hazy Paint (maybe faded)