Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

fiberglass paint stripper ???

Old 10-14-2011, 10:05 AM
ken1950
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass paint stripper ???

What are the drawbacks to using fiberglass paint stripper ?? I have an 87 coupe (white). My car looks like it has had one paint job besides the factory paint. Looks like an early Earl S. job. I don't think they primed it and didn't do a very good prep work. I have some bubbles and paint cracks with some peeling on some edges. (small areas). Whats my best bet? Sanding or stripping. I want to repaint next fall . Just want to start checking my options.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

IMO chem strip is your best bet. Yes, a 'vette can be sanded successfully, but it takes practice to sand it without putting ripples in the panels or rounding edges. Chem strip removes the paint without removing anything else.

You should do it outdoors (fumes are nasty), and be sure to thoroughly neutralize the stripper (clean water).
Old 10-29-2011, 06:46 PM
cmerrick
Advanced

What do you recommend for a stripper?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

We used "aircraft stripper" by kleenstrip and it worked fine. It does damage gelcoat. No gelcoat on factory panels, but many aftermarket panels have it so you need to be careful.

There are other strippers that are OK with gelcoat but I have no experience with them.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Kleanstrip makes a stripper that is specified for fiberglass. It is #GAF354. If you use a regular paint stripper it can penetrate the fiberglass and cause problems later with primer adhesion if it is still outgassing.

To be on the safe side I use the one for fiberglass.

Craig
Old 10-31-2011, 02:44 PM
cmerrick
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I'll be doing a '71 roadster that has a couple of layers paint on it. The top layer has serious issues with checking and cracking so it has to come off. Final color will be HOK midnight blue pearl over black.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Midyearnut
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 'Glas Stripper

Ditto on the Kleanstrip #354. Been using it for many years.
There are a couple of things that should be mentioned:
1. It, like most strippers, contains Methylene Chloride. It's NOT good to your body, sooo, you should protect yourself.
2.As each area is stripped it should be cleaned very well with, some folks use acetone, lacquer thinner, reducer etc. Personally, I prefer & use warm water & Dawn liquid soap.
I've recently been trying a stripper called "Smart Strip". It takes a little longer, it costs a little bit more than #354 but it doesn't have fumes etc. that the #354 has.
Good luck with whatever use. Bob L.

Get notified of new replies

To fiberglass paint stripper ???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fiberglass paint stripper ???