Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Couple of painting questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:36 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Couple of painting questions

Hey all you solvent sniffing painting type guys, I have a few questions about painting my 1995 Vette convertible. I primarily build engines and do a bunch of troubleshooting for folks now that I've retired.

I used to do some painting back when lacquer was the shiniest thing available and still have all my painting stuff. I have my old Binks #7 gun and I always found that it shot about as fine a pattern as you would ever need. Do the newer guns like the SATA 3000 spray a better pattern and if so how? I understand that the newer guns waste less material but is it worth $300 to save a pint or two of paint?

Another thing is that I know the correct way is to remove the rear bumper cover but I've heard that it's a real PITA. Can the car be painted with the rear bumper in place or will I have some paint flaking in the bottom of the seam. Is there any good way to prep that area without removing the rear bumper?

And finally....I want the car black. It seems that a lot of folks believe that the Dupont Chroma G9900S is about as black as it gets . Does anyone have a recommendation for a blacker black. Also, what would be the advantages or disadvantages of a single stage version of the same paint. Would it appear "blacker" because of no clear coat? What is the advantage of a basecoat/clearcoat over a single stage?

If I go with a BC/CC what clear would be recommended? Back in the day Dupont had something called Imron that looked like you had just put oil on the car. It appeared to be "wet". Is there any clear that would give me the same appearance? High solids, low solids with more coats or such.

Sorry for all the questions but I've been away from the spray gun so long that I'm officially a newb. I have a Toledo Pro hood and was thinking of doing some stripes on the car. The stripes would be the same black as the rest of the car with a flattening agent in the paint to make them more of a satin finish. I'd use a fairly thin wine colored pinstripe to separate the two colors. How do y'all think that would look?

Thanks for all the help Guys. ---Gunny---
Old 01-29-2012, 05:34 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your Model 7 is in good shape there's no real reason to replace it for a single personal respray. If you'll be spraying black, don't shortcut ANYTHING in your prep as it will bite you in the azz. Base/clear systems generally have increased reflectivity and depth of image... they look "wet" like the old Imron; but better. High solids clears are the way to go for max "bling" and durability. You'll have to research the blackest black for yourself because there are so many variants... find a car you love and ask the owner what's on it. Have fun with the job, and thank you for your service to our Nation!

Quick Reply: Couple of painting questions