Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

A little direction in how to tackle...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 PM
BadAssRocker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little direction in how to tackle...

I've looked quite a bit through the forum and I can't really seem to find anything close enough to ease my mind on how to tackle this crap.

And after reading a little on different resins to use, gelcoat or not, etc, etc, I'm a little discombobulated now. Think I could get one of you guys to help me out a little and give me a little direction on where to start on this stuff?

The fender was like this when I got the car. I don't know what caused it, I'm guessing a blowout. Then, my old garage caught on fire (the Vette was in front of the garage), hence the melted marker light lens. I have a donor piece to cover if I were to cut right at the line above the hole. I just don't know exactly about the "V" idea and how to apply it to this with a completely new piece.

The door was completely bent backwards to where it touched the fender...
I got a door from a wrecking yard and didn't align it right, so it chewed at the fender and the fender chewed at the door. This is what is left after they had their fill. I put some resin behind the large crack (maybe I shouldn't have) and it seems to have stuck, but I don't know how to go about getting the edges back on the fender and door. I can get the idea of grinding a V in the crack, but like I said, I'm not sure about what exactly to put back in and finish it with.

I appreciate any time anyone can give me.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Since that car is SMC fiberglass, it is best to use an epoxy based material for bonding, or structural repairs. For filling and finishing a good polyester filler like evercoats SMC compatible products is acceptable.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 PM
BadAssRocker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wombvette
Since that car is SMC fiberglass, it is best to use an epoxy based material for bonding, or structural repairs. For filling and finishing a good polyester filler like evercoats SMC compatible products is acceptable.

I wasn't positive, but I figured it was SMC and I just read that SMC is basically epoxy only. Thanks a lot for confirming.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 PM
BadAssRocker
Intermediate

As far a V-ing out the crack next to the door, how far do I need to go? 2"-3" or so? From what I'm reading, it seems like I should tear up mat in gradually larger pieces and build up in the V with epoxy resin. I just want to make sure I go about this the right way. I don't want to cause more work for myself in the future...
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 PM
BadAssRocker
Intermediate

How much resin is needed for this job? A quart or so? And what brand of resin is suggested?

Last edited by BadAssRocker; 06-14-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First I would get the paint off the fender and door... there's evidence of previous (and poorly done) repairs there and the only way to know how extensive your repairs will be is to strip it. Be ready to rework the entire front fender (or replace???) and at least the leading edge of the door as well. You need a new front bumper as well... don't even try and repair it. A solid fiberglass part is the way to go and can be made to fit exactly... forever.

Once you get the paint off and know just how far the previous butchery extends post up some new pics... then we'll all see just what needs doing.

Last edited by markids77; 06-14-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 PM
BadAssRocker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markids77
First I would get the paint off the fender and door... there's evidence of previous (and poorly done) repairs there and the only way to know how extensive your repairs will be is to strip it. Be ready to rework the entire front fender (or replace???) and at least the leading edge of the door as well. You need a new front bumper as well... don't even try and repair it. A solid fiberglass part is the way to go and can be made to fit exactly... forever.

Once you get the paint off and know just how far the previous butchery extends post up some new pics... then we'll all see just what needs doing.
Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To A little direction in how to tackle...

Quick Reply: A little direction in how to tackle...