Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Anyone Used Southern Polyurethane Products?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Anyone Used Southern Polyurethane Products?

I'm planning to refinish my 85 myself. I'm curious if anyone has had experience with Southern Polyurethane (SPI) epoxy sealers, primers and clear coats. I'm also looking at alternatives if anyone has suggestions. I plan on using PPG DBC 9700 (Black) as the base coat.

Unfortunately, the previous owner had this car repainted by a less than desired shop. They used a DA to remove the paint and it left some swirl marks. I'll probably end up block sanding down to the fiberglass in order to get them out. But even then I expect to have to build up in some areas. Are there any fillers I can use to skim coat before priming?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM
BLK281
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used their stuff. Its not bad- but for me personally, I believe the PPG Shopline stuff tends to be a little better.

Just my opinion, of course.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Although I started my project with a different system, I believe I would use SPI for the epoxy primer for sure. You can check old posts on the especially those of Porchdog. You can go to SPI's website also. Their epoxy primer can be used as a build primer that PPG's cannot. My $.02.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 86, I used SPI epoxy after stripping all the previous paint jobs off. I then used SPI 2K as a filler primer for blocking after the body filler stages. It sprays really nice, it fills great and sands easy. Finally, I used reduced SPI epoxy as a sealer coat before my first color coat. Used a total of a gallon of each.

Worked like a charm and it is always nice to be able to call the manufacturer and speak to a person.....
Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cgantner5150
On my 86, I used SPI epoxy after stripping all the previous paint jobs off. I then used SPI 2K as a filler primer for blocking after the body filler stages. It sprays really nice, it fills great and sands easy. Finally, I used reduced SPI epoxy as a sealer coat before my first color coat. Used a total of a gallon of each.

Worked like a charm and it is always nice to be able to call the manufacturer and speak to a person.....
Thanks. You mention you used 2K after the body filler. What kind of body filler did you use? I have some areas I'm sure will need more than 2K primer to smooth out.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:12 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Evercoat Fibertech to smooth out the seam in the hood scoop after bonding. I used Dolphin Glaze to fix the small imperfections.

You will be surprised how much "filling" the 2K primer does. I sprayed on three coats then blocked about an hour later after guide coating. Most of the 2K is removed during this process. Fix imperfections and repeat (as many times as necessary). It's a great workout.

Just keep reminding yourself how much money your saving.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Ihave used SPI on my 67 GTO. I used their epoxy primer and clear coat. All worked great. They even sold a viper red at half the price of PPG which I used to paint the car and it worked great and still looks great a year later. I recommend their products.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Used Southern Polyurethane Products?

Quick Reply: Anyone Used Southern Polyurethane Products?