Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Front and rear spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Chevyman45454
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front and rear spoilers

I have a 1978 silver Anniversary corvette.Was the front spoiler for that car a 3 piece or the one piece for that car?Then did those cars come a rear spoiler or not for the silver anniversary?Then what color was the piece below the driver and Passanger doors is that black or is it chrome what color would that be.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyman45454
I have a 1978 silver Anniversary corvette.Was the front spoiler for that car a 3 piece or the one piece for that car?
3 piece urethane from the factory...if ordered...but did not come on every car that was a 25th anniversary....only the pace car. If it did not have the 3 piece spoiler on it...it came with a one piece black plastic lower air deflector.

Then did those cars come a rear spoiler or not for the silver anniversary?
If is an Indy pace car it came with them.

Then what color was the piece below the driver and Passanger doors is that black or is it chrome what color would that be.
Not chrome but an anodized bright aluminum with a small band of black where the screws are located.

DUB
Old 02-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dub, I want to put the 1978 rear Indy spoiler on my 1979 C3. Everyone seems a little vague on how to install it. It appears you drill a bunch of holes in the rear deck and bolt it down through the fiberglass. I'm worried about the top of the spoiler. Are there holes there to feed the bolts through? Can I prepaint it. Any advice?

Thank you,

Philgran
Old 02-16-2019, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Do you have the spoilers????

Usually the spoilers have threaded studs that allow you to put them through the holes you drilled in the body. Sometimes the spoiler will have a nut plate and you have to use bolts that thread into them.
'
The spoiler is NOT going to have holes in it that you can see from the outside.

DUB
Old 02-16-2019, 09:52 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
Do you have the spoilers????

Usually the spoilers have threaded studs that allow you to put them through the holes you drilled in the body. Sometimes the spoiler will have a nut plate and you have to use bolts that thread into them.
'
The spoiler is NOT going to have holes in it that you can see from the outside.

DUB
DUB, thank you! I purchased the front spoiler from one of the Forum’s sponsors. I had it delivered to my mechanic’s shop. He has matched the paint to my ‘79 and is getting ready to paint it, I plan to purchase the rear spoiler from the same vendor. I was concerned about having the rear painted prior to installation. I have not yet ordered it. I also understand there are often fitment issues with the front spoiler but one of the Forum members came up with a fix to draw the sides up tight to the fenders. Do you recommend we pre-fit both spoilers prior to painting? Thanks Phil
Old 02-17-2019, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

YES...pre fit them before you paint anything.

DUB
Old 02-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Default Front and Resr Indy spoillers

Will do, thanks Dub

phil
Old 02-19-2019, 03:39 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I have a 1978 silver Anniversary corvette.Was the front spoiler for that car a 3 piece or the one piece for that car?Then did those cars come a rear spoiler or not for the silver anniversary?Then what color was the piece below the driver and Passenger doors is that black or is it chrome what color would that be.
I am going to add to your question - the two tone was sprayed AFTER the car was completely assembled. Same for pace cars
I have a 547 mile 78 silver anniversary car here and a 529 pace car - the paint process is very easy to see - there is an article in a recent NCRS restorer documenting the paint process -
Additionally - the front spoilers on the pace car were not installed at the factory but were installed at the dealer
Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 AM
Philgran
Advanced

Default Front and Rear Spoilers

I’m not sure I understand your post. My car is an 1979 C3. When I was looking to buy a vintage Corvette, I looked at a ‘79 with both spoilers attached. It was a 4-speed L88 in Silver with a white interior. It had a lot of problems so I passed and eventually found my current Vette. I was so struck by the look of the spoilers on the car, I decided to add them to my car. I’m now in the process of getting them pre-fitted, prepped and painted prior to installing them. The front is polly and the rear is fiberglass. I will paint them the same color as the car (Silver). I had a paint company analyze the paint and produce a quart for me. I believe the front is a 3-piece. But I’m away and haven’t been home since it was delivered from Corvettemods.

I’m not sure how I can help you. If you are interested in how the installation process proceeds, I will be glad to pass that on. I’ve read getting the front spoiler to fit correctly is sometimes difficult. Let me know...
Old 02-21-2019, 07:33 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Csherman,

i just feceved an emsil email from the Forum that you had replied to a thread that i was part of on front and rear C3 Indy sPointers but I can not find the reply. I clicked on the link as directed but nada! If there is anything I can do to help you, I'd be glad to but please recognize my knowledge snd experience is very limited.

philgran

Last edited by Philgran; 02-22-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 02-27-2019, 08:02 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I was just adding additional comments - no questions

Get notified of new replies

To Front and rear spoilers

Quick Reply: Front and rear spoilers